Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
Some of these system preference pane icons are...interesting
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 00.43.31 copy.png

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Yeah, those are really something. It appears as if each icon was created by a different team, with a different style. It looks more like a mesh of icons that are vaguely related to each other rather than a set of cohesive homogenous icons.
Agreed. The system elements look very nice, but the icons... meh. I'm hoping they're just placeholders.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Also, I'm a bit surprised that macOS 11 didn't see System Preferences be changed to Settings, or even System Settings.
It's kinda annoying me, like get it over with. The past 3 releases I think it's the year. ?
I litterally think they just forget.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
It's kinda annoying me, like get it over with. The past 3 releases I think it's the year. ?
I litterally think they just forget.
Yes. I mentioned this in another thread, but TBH, this doesn't really feel like a brand new macOS 11 to me. This feels more like a revived macOS 10.x (similar to Yosemite and Lion's UI changes), but the underlying code, system mechanics, etc. doesn't really seem to have been changed much (other than preparations for ARM).

I'd have expected for a macOS 11 (or even appleOS 1.0) release to come with more of a... bang. Huge, sweeping system changes—old vestigial elements/naming conventions such as System Preferences (which was originally System Prefs in 10.0.0 Cheetah, and derived from NEXTSTEP) to be gone. More of a big... overall change. This macOS 11 timeline kind of feels more like an iOSification of the appearance of the Macintosh OS, while nothing underneath the surface really had changed, if that makes sense.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
As many are saying now, the iOSing of Mac. Is it 10.X or is it 11 or some iteration of iOS! It needed to be way more different to be version 11.

Reactions: LizKat and Sebosz

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
does the windows now go behind the dock for full screen, also does the output device allow stereo HomePods with airplay 2

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I had to turn off the ATP podcast. Not one of them has spent 5 seconds using Big Sur but yet they’re already whining and complaining about the changes and how awful they’re going to be. Um, maybe come back after using it for a week or two rather than basing opinions off of screen shots in a keynote?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My 12” MacBook says it is running macOS 11 (Beta), thought it downloaded “10.16”.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I still use Stickies. It was nice to see a new icon. I would LOVE for someone to tell me that my dream if icloud syncing to be added to stickies so my stickies on multiple macs stay synced together.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Can someone post screenshots of TV, news, books, preview, notes, console, activity monitor, keychain access, automator, font book apps? I wanna see whether we have full-height sidebars or toolbars across the entire apps like they always have been.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Sadly, I agree. Maybe it’s a bit too early and many icons have not been changed yet.
I actually really don't care for any of the new icons in macOS 11.

They did a great job making the icons colorful, crisp, and modern in Yosemite, and they held up well until now. Now, they're going back to adding heavy shadows and trying to simulate depth. They just look muddy / blurry / washed out now.

A lot of macOS icons also don't translate well to the new squircle shape. Quicktime looks really gross.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 11.03.52 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.