Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
@xWhiplash MacOS is simply terrible when you are useing multiple monitors. If you use multiple monitors, fullscreen applications, spaces, and multiple instances of the same application on different monitors and spaces, it gets so so bad.
It's like nobody over at Apple ever used their systems with more than one display at a time.
I can't be the only one who does not want to use Expose and mouse clicking orgies to navigate my open applications. I really really hate it and it's one of the reasone I switched.

@mwptrsn yeah the GPU support is great. I don't really need it besides acceleration for application GUIs in Linux lol, but it's great to see regardeless!

Stackin

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2019
UK
I haven’t used a Mac with multiple screens, but have used Windows extensively with two screens. I prefer the way Windows works splitting Apps across screens compared to the Mac. I mainly did this with Windows keyboard shortcuts.

Strangely, since getting an iPad Pro 12.9 with magic keyboard, I prefer using apps side by side on IOS to the way MacOS works. Just seems a little more intuitive, if more limited.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I generally find Mac OS to be more elegant than Windows 10. (I thought Windows 7 was more elegant than Windows 10 too.) I think part of the problem is trying to have one UI that works with both touch and the mouse.

That being said, it's not a significant reason I eschew Windows. I find the Mac takes less time/effort with general maintenance and dealing with issues, and feel the Mac is more secure, even if that is primarily the result of smaller market share.

Also the integration between all my iDevices and the Mac has really grown on me over the years. I love taking a picture on my phone, and have it instantly appear on my iPad and Mac. I love my HomeKit setup appears/updates across all devices. Same with Notes. And passwords. Most app settings. Etc.

For the most part, "things just work" seems more true in the Mac world than the Windows world, in my experience. The difference can be subtle on an individual-issue basis, but it totality, I do notice it.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Windows is better at handling 3 displays than MacOS (which often forces screens 2 and 3 to mirror each other). But MacOS handles 2 displays better than Windows.

The position of the CMD key on the Mac makes so much more sense than the Ctrl key on Windows. Keyboard shortcuts are a LOT easier on the Mac as a result.
Windows win hands down and going away when it comes to keyboard access to system dialogs compared to OSX/macOS10. It is a frustration on macOS when an app calls a system dialog (e.g. Photoshop's duplicate layer dialog, ...) and you can't navigate the dialog from the keyboard alone. You have to use the mouse to change fields and then the keyboard to enter data. On Windows you can always Tab through the dialog's controls and arrow key to open and navigate dropdown menus.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I find the opposite to be true actually. Make sure you check your display settings, as I have three displays and I never once encountered the issue you are referring to in macOS. in macOS I am able to utilize the multiple desktop PER monitor. Windows 10 I need to switch the multiple desktops for all three monitors at once.

I think it is a limitation in how macOS treats certain DisplayPort devices. I have an HP Thunderbolt Dock that has 2 DisplayPorts, a TB-3 port, and USB-C with DP. On Windows, I can hook up 2 4K displays and have 3 separate screens. MacOS mirrors the two external displays when I connect them through the Thunderbolt Dock. I could run them separately only if I plug one of the external monitors directly to the Mac.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
@xWhiplash MacOS is simply terrible when you are useing multiple monitors. If you use multiple monitors, fullscreen applications, spaces, and multiple instances of the same application on different monitors and spaces, it gets so so bad.
It's like nobody over at Apple ever used their systems with more than one display at a time.
I can't be the only one who does not want to use Expose and mouse clicking orgies to navigate my open applications. I really really hate it and it's one of the reasone I switched.

@mwptrsn yeah the GPU support is great. I don't really need it besides acceleration for application GUIs in Linux lol, but it's great to see regardeless!

I do not know what is going on with your setup. Do you have videos demonstrating the issues? I have been using 2 to 3 monitors on my Macs since the 2010 Mac Pro. I have never had an issue with multiple displays. I use full screen, multiple spaces, and multiple instances of the same application on different monitors all the time and do not have any issues. Its better than Windows 10's implementation where multiple spaces/desktops are across all displays instead of per-display.
[automerge]1593185745[/automerge]
I think it is a limitation in how macOS treats certain DisplayPort devices. I have an HP Thunderbolt Dock that has 2 DisplayPorts, a TB-3 port, and USB-C with DP. On Windows, I can hook up 2 4K displays and have 3 separate screens. MacOS mirrors the two external displays when I connect them through the Thunderbolt Dock. I could run them separately only if I plug one of the external monitors directly to the Mac.

Yeah but you cannot really blame them for an HP dock. I have had issues running Dell docks with HP laptops and vice versa before. Its just HP and Dell being how they are.

And that is probably why I never have any issues. I connect directly to the system, not through a dock. Or I use the OWC dock and never have any issues.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I do not know what is going on with your setup. Do you have videos demonstrating the issues? I have been using 2 to 3 monitors on my Macs since the 2010 Mac Pro. I have never had an issue with multiple displays. I use full screen, multiple spaces, and multiple instances of the same application on different monitors all the time and do not have any issues. Its better than Windows 10's implementation where multiple spaces/desktops are across all displays instead of per-display.
[automerge]1593185745[/automerge]

Yeah but you cannot really blame them for an HP dock. I have had issues running Dell docks with HP laptops and vice versa before. Its just HP and Dell being how they are.

And that is probably why I never have any issues. I connect directly to the system, not through a dock. Or I use the OWC dock and never have any issues.
Oh it works. But the window management is utter garbage. I also think that Windows uses the best hdpi scaling across all operating systems. Problem here is the amount of apps that don’t support it.

luckily for me all my main programs are working great.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Oh it works. But the window management is utter garbage. I also think that Windows uses the best hdpi scaling across all operating systems. Problem here is the amount of apps that don’t support it.

luckily for me all my main programs are working great.
My experience with Windows 10 is the complete opposite. HDPI scaling always results in blurry dialogs and text even with the settings to make text less blurry. Ever since the introduction of the retina Mac, I never have this issue with my Macs. I absolutely HATE having a 27" 4K display on my Windows computers. Stuff is way too blurry due to the scaling issues, and this is a widely known problem with Windows. The exact same monitor looks crisp and perfect on my Mac.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
My experience with Windows 10 is the complete opposite. HDPI scaling always results in blurry dialogs and text even with the settings to make text less blurry. Ever since the introduction of the retina Mac, I never have this issue with my Macs. I absolutely HATE having a 27" 4K display on my Windows computers. Stuff is way too blurry due to the scaling issues, and this is a widely known problem with Windows. The exact same monitor looks crisp and perfect on my Mac.
A scaled 4K screen is blurry in a Mac, too. That’s just how it works technically. It’s a whole different story if you can see it. The bigger problem especially in MacBooks is the terrible UI performance once you use a scaled resolution.

My Windows software is just as sharp, but scaling works better technically imo. The problem is the lack of support from some apps, dialogs etc, but it’s not like I’m installing software the whole day and have to look at blurry dialogs. All my IDEs, Browsers, Office apps and chat software, so basically everything is sharp and scales just fine.

But the biggest plus for windows imo: alt tab shows ALL open windows not just one. God I hate that. But I like the gnome app switcher the most. That is pretty much perfection.

btw: you can pin apps and windows to all virtual desktops in Windows.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

I experienced the same problems.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Even though I am now using Windows I prefer macOS, Apple hardware is my issue, not software. More polished UI, an OS is largely an intermediary stage in the process of getting where I want to go, software, and apps. So for me, an OS should blend into the background, macOS does that, Windows shouts out loud. It bothers me less the longer I use it though.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I thought it might be nice to have a discussion on the differences, what each one does better then the other.

After seeing the presentation at WWDC and also First Look: macOS Big Sur With Redesign, Safari Updates, New Messages App and More

I'm rather impressed on a number of fronts, first Apple continues to roll-out extremely polished and consistent operating systems. This is the first major release in quite some time, Mavericks was the last major update, and every subsequent update was based on that.
View attachment 927517

I'm not a fan of the rounded icons, but at least thye're consistent. I never got why some were round and other were not. With that siad, windows 10 is a heck of a lot worse, with inconsistancy, just consider the control panel, and settings app. I've never been a fan of flat blue wire icons just seem so dated and for me, never really did anything.

View attachment 927515

One question is quality/stability. That has been sourly lacking in recent macOS version, particularly in Catalina.
When I saw the title of this thread I thought '@maflynn is starting a potential flame war here' ?. But until now it is very civilized. Fingers crossed...?.
I hope I am not jinxing anything ?....

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
When I saw the title of this thread I thought '@maflynn is starting a potential flame war here' ?. But until now it is very civilized. Fingers crossed...?.
I hope I am not jinxing anything ?....
Yes, you are...

No, you're not! :eek:

Whatever works for people is fine by me. I have to try Windows for now.

As far as OS, I cannot really comment on Windows 10 yet or MacOS Big Sur (except that I do not like the iPadOS look of Big Sur and what I've been hearing about features being removed).

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I enjoy using both for various reasons, and I feel like I'm very typical in that I find Windows as a far superior tool for business and desktop use and MacOS being my preferred OS for laptop use. So much of my life is based in the web these days that I could really get by with either. I hope Apple keeps pushing their prices down after their transition.

For Windows:

I fundamentally prefer how Windows handles scaling now. I can live with the fact that QuickBooks looks like ass, considering how much nicer and sharper everything else I use is at non-2x resolutions as compared with MacOS, which looks awful or giant, with only 2x appearing nicely my 27" 4k or on the laptops built in display. One thing MacOS is terrible with no matter how you slice it though, is low dpi displays. Windows still looks good at 96dpi.

Windows feels like a much snappier experience. It's responsive, animations are abrupt with no wasted frames.

Windows search is annoying, however unlike many here I prefer Windows Explorer to Finder. For work I do a lot of document archiving, and my workflow feels faster.

Software support is generally better. Macs might 'just work' but, if I have a problem I tend to get official solutions and answers more quickly in Windows. All my old 32-bit applications work. I know many are 'wave of the future' and don't care about legacy support but this is actually extremely important to me.

Window management and Microsoft Office support have already been addressed, for serious multi-display use, Excel and Outlook, there's no comparison.

For MacOS:

Gesture support, general trackpad behavior, are far more natural and intuitive.

Animations and overall design are far nicer, and more consistent. This is pleasant for a home machine.

While window management for multiple displays is lacking, spaces, full-screen apps, and expose work extremely nicely on a small laptop display. Love it.

Lack of update fussiness, and general stability and security are major positives.

I've never had a Windows device that handled sleep properly. MacOS devices remain exceptional in this regard.

There are plenty of more comparisons to draw but, these are what initially come to mind.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Once Win10 is debloated and locked down, it multitasks much more smoothly than macOS on comparable hardware. I'm impressed with how well Win10 works on low spec systems. It runs so well on my $120 Asus E203MA notebook (2GB RAM/32GB storage) that I could use it as a daily driver for basic office work. (that's after debloating and locking down.... it was an unusable slug before that)

After 8 years of the post-Win7 UI, Microsoft still hasn't consolidated the system tools into a cohesive and consistent look and feel. The Win10 start menu is still an abomination.

On the macOS side of things, I appreciate the software for that platform more but OS level dependencies are much tighter which results in me being forced to upgrade macOS or stay with the current version of the OS and use an older version of the app.

Reactions: kazmac

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Lack of consistency is surely Microsoft's middle name in terms of Windows 10.
Simplest is to go to the Windows 10 settings. For whatever reason, Microsoft just cannot put the whole set of Windows settings on there. Simple things like networking stuff would force you to go to the traditional control panel, which is jarring in terms of UI. It's like going from 2020 back to Windows 98. This is one of the things I just don't get with Microsoft.

But one great thing about Microsoft imo is keyboard accessibility, even from first setup. There are times when I am setting up a new Windows box but just don't have a mouse nearby, and Windows is completely usable with just a keyboard. Cannot comment on macOS (probably as good as well), but this is one thing that is well done by Microsoft.

Reactions: iMi

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Lack of consistency is surely Microsoft's middle name in terms of Windows 10.
Simplest is to go to the Windows 10 settings. For whatever reason, Microsoft just cannot put the whole set of Windows settings on there. Simple things like networking stuff would force you to go to the traditional control panel, which is jarring in terms of UI. It's like going from 2020 back to Windows 98. This is one of the things I just don't get with Microsoft.

But one great thing about Microsoft imo is keyboard accessibility, even from first setup. There are times when I am setting up a new Windows box but just don't have a mouse nearby, and Windows is completely usable with just a keyboard. Cannot comment on macOS (probably as good as well), but this is one thing that is well done by Microsoft.

I thought they finally got rid of control panel?

I love keyboard input and it's one of the main reasons why I generally prefer Windows for work.

Accessibility and flexibility in input, in Windows is a strong point (and for Microsoft as a whole). I'm sure MacOS has some similar solutions but likely none as robust.

I work in education, and serve on an accesibility, inclusion, and diversity comittee. I got to see some of the things we're able to do with those Microsoft Adaptive Controllers and a Windows PC. Really it's something else. Doesn't matter for most people sure but, for those that need that flexibility for input it makes all the difference.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I thought it might be nice to have a discussion on the differences, what each one does better then the other.

After seeing the presentation at WWDC and also First Look: macOS Big Sur With Redesign, Safari Updates, New Messages App and More

I'm rather impressed on a number of fronts, first Apple continues to roll-out extremely polished and consistent operating systems. This is the first major release in quite some time, Mavericks was the last major update, and every subsequent update was based on that.
View attachment 927517

I'm not a fan of the rounded icons, but at least thye're consistent. I never got why some were round and other were not. With that siad, windows 10 is a heck of a lot worse, with inconsistancy, just consider the control panel, and settings app. I've never been a fan of flat blue wire icons just seem so dated and for me, never really did anything.

View attachment 927515

One question is quality/stability. That has been sourly lacking in recent macOS version, particularly in Catalina.

Quality and stability has been an issue for macOS since Snow Leopard. I can only count three versions on which I had zero issues on. Mountain Lion (hence my avatar), El Capitan, and Mojave. Every version in between seemed rushed and not as well polished from the standpoint of actual usability.

That being said, when I say "polished", I'm not referring to the look of the UI. I'm talking strictly about usability, stability and how many times I curse at Apple for making an unnecessary change to break what wasn't broken in the last known "good" release.

The only version of Windows 10 that I cursed at Microsoft for in similar fashion was for v1709 (The Fall Creators Update). That thing was buggy, bloated, and glitchy and that never really went away. The releases before and after it were much better in this regard and, aside from some annoying things in 1903/09 that don't even affect most of my uses of Windows, it's been fairly smooth ever since.

As for the flat blue-wire icons, we're about to be getting a ton of them in Big Sur.

The control panel vs. Settings disparity is much less of an issue than it actually is. It's being handled like that because Microsoft knows that you don't just transition away from a 25 year old system control convention overnight. If you're in Control Panel and you stumble across something that's in Settings, you're automatically redirected and vice versa. If there's something that's in both, you have just as much control in both and you can pick how you want to handle it. It seems rough, because all software transitions are. If anything, I wish Apple handled their transitions this delicately.

As for the lack of UI consistency in Windows, the thing to really remember is that compared to Windows, there really isn't that much built-in UI in macOS outside of apps other than System Preferences or anything in the Utilities folder. You really only configure things in an MDM provider, a third party app, or a small number of built-in first party utilities. With Windows, you have a plethora of other tools that the average home user will never see. That's usually where you see UI that hasn't been updated. Would it be nice if that UI was updated? Sure. But does it affect the overall functionality? Not at all. Also overhauling the UI with THAT MUCH UI would be a much greater undertaking than was done for OS X Yosemite or macOS Big Sur.

It has, no question, but there's still an incredible lack of consistency with Windows, its almost like they don't care about fixing what's already there (visually). I understand that they've been wanting to kill off the control panel, but it has apps that system administrators rely on, and UWP as of yet cannot do.

And again, the transition from Control Panel to Settings isn't going to happen overnight. It has to be a staggered transition otherwise you're going to have a lot of things break. Apple has the luxury of telling its developers that they're going to stop supporting the execution of 32-bit binaries or that it's going to stop supporting the execution of PowerPC binaries because the install base is smaller. It has the luxury of doing it for iOS and iPadOS users because its App Stores on those platforms are the only sanctioned way to install third party software. Microsoft lacks both of those luxuries with Windows, and that's why we'll probably keep seeing Control Panel for many more years to come.

I do like the new fluent design icons that are starting to roll out on Windows, returning some color to the platform. And as someone who's dipping their toes into a more mixed ecosystem, the consistency (or lack thereof) on Windows does stand out. All that said, once you get into an application and start working it's not an issue.

But there is some nature of context switching through the different paradigms that have "stuck" with the OS over the years. macOS isn't perfect, but it's definitely more cohesive.

It's a less complicated OS by design. But that also translates to there being much less to customize, which, in turn translates into being less flexible in terms of your deployment of it. That's where Windows has always had an advantage.

Windows is just all over the place. And there are definitely some things I would LOVE to configure, but can't. Like the position of the notification toasts on my ultrawide, the color of the taskbar, that sort of stuff.
But opening the hard drive tool to format and partition your drives is like using a time machine lol. You can't even use a scrollwheel in that thing.

What I do enjoy though: it's fast. (The UI) Everything is responsive. MacOS always feels like doing everything through a layer of glue or something. And the UI performance with a MacBook connected to hidpi monitors is still terrible. I don't notice anything like that in Windows.

One thing I though was pretty funny: https://itsfoss.com/macos-big-sur-deepin/

You can configure the color of the taskbar as well as notifications. Also, assuming you are using Windows 10 Pro, Education, Pro for Workstations, or Enterprise, you can most definitely get much greater control than either Settings or Control Panel offer by default by editing the local group policy. Group Policy is fairly straightforward and all settings clearly describe what they do and there's A LOT you can do with it on top of what's already available with Control Panel or Settings.

Windows is a patchwork that seemingly spans the decades. Go digging and you will discover an archelogical find. MacOS is a lot more cohesive in both design and functionality. With regard to the new icons, I liked the circle look personally but the rounded squares seem to be just fine. The rounded squares do look a lot more uniform -- so that is good.

Most "archeological" finds are menu options that are not immediately obvious. Sure, it's not as pretty, but the functionality works just the same and hasn't needed change in many many years.

Nothing wrong with a lot of choices, but it just outlines the care and thought that goes into MacOS design compared to the mountain of legacy UI stuff that is part of Windows. I do use many of these obscure Windows shortcuts by the way!

Again, much less to update in macOS in terms of icons than there are in Windows.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
@Yebubbleman really? I couldn’t find anything to configure these things. Group policies you say? I’ll look into these next week. Thanks!

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So I have mentioned this in many other posts in the past regarding my frustrations with Windows 10. Nearly every year has caused serious problems both professionally and personally.

1511 - Removed some software and anti-virus on all of our systems at work and at home. This added additional overhead for our IT department to after install get the anti-virus installed again.

1607 - This was the worst one. This update broke both shortcuts AND windows update. Every time you started the computer, and tried to click a shortcut on either the start menu or taskbar. The first time you clicked on a specific shortcut, you would just receive an error message "Bad Stub data received" and the app would not launch. You had to click it AGAIN for it to launch. This was a widely known issue, be glad you never experienced it. There was an update that resolved this issue, but the second part of the problems with 1607 was that it broke Windows Update. Again, this was known by Microsoft and an update resolved the issue. We had dozens of systems that had both of these issues, it did not happen to all which is why it slipped our testing. The only solution was to get the most recent update from Microsoft's catalog website and install it manually.

1803 - Some computers in our company at some point after this update was installed had Windows completely corrupted where it would not even boot due to a few people running Disk Cleanup. Most of them had Acronis backups, so they just lost part of the latest work day.

1809 - Again, several of our systems were affected by having all Documents data being deleted. People were trained to have backups, as their computer could die at any time. However, it still added unnecessary overhead.

1903 - An update shortly after this release broke eGPU. I have been unable to update my Windows with my Mac if I want to continue using eGPU. Again, this is widely known in the eGPU community, actually tracked down the last version before you should stop updating Windows. Its still a problem today.

Now on to macOS, I never had any issues until the random Kernel Panics in Catalina. Sometimes my apps will not close properly, but this happens in Windows at times too.

Of course there will be those that have more problems with macOS. Or never experienced those issues in Windows I mentioned about (which were known enough to the point where Microsoft addressed them). For me, both professionally and personally, I have had FAR more issues with Windows 10 than macOS.

Windows XP, 7 and even 8.1 were amazing. Windows 10 I am not that thrilled with after all of these issues. Which is quite irritating, I was the biggest advocate of "Upgrade your computer from 7 to 10 for FREE now!" I spent about $1,000 on new copies for my newer systems (personally). I advocated our work move to it sooner rather than later (we waited too long for XP end of life to move to 7). I got my friends and family to upgrade. The launch Windows 10 was amazing. Then these updates happened and frustrates me.

Reactions: Nightfury326

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
By far the worst part of Windows is Explorer. It's outdated, clunky, bloated and slow
I prefer the file explorer a heck of more then macOS's Finder. The only thing I truly hate is the group by, My work computer forgets that I turned if off randomly. Outlook is similar in forgetting that I disabled group by, but that's a conversation for a different thread ;)

1593271633742.png

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Big Sur is ‘iOS 7‘ as far as the UI goes. It’ll get better and more refined.

Windows 10. What a complete mess. I use it every day for work and it’s painful.

I get it in that it’s carrying huge amounts of legacy baggage and it’s hard for them to change anything without breaking something.

But even so - it’s been 5 years since its launch and it doesn’t look wildly different from then. Given the resources that Microsoft has I’m shocked at their lack of progress at modernising Windows.

Office uses decades old dialog box layouts and the old Win32 UI with some modern custom UI bolted into it occasionally. Ditto Explorer.

Even the new parts of Windows are inconsistent. The start menu uses the traditional Windows font & a custom UI yet settings, calculator and Windows Store etc use the newer ‘Metro’ font and UI.

I can see why they’ve created Windows X to have a new beginning and vision for Window etc. I hope that they retrofit some of that work for Windows 10.

As many here on this thread have said, the problem with Windows 10 is having to support lots of legacy items. But it’s also that Microsoft doesn't seen to to care about UI.

Or if it does, it simply can’t/won’t align its teams and products to produce a consistent ecosystem experience similar to Apple - so I think that organisational failure is part of this.

It’s a shame given how many people use it everyday.

Reactions: Nightfury326

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I prefer the file explorer a heck of more then macOS's Finder. The only thing I truly hate is the group by, My work computer forgets that I turned if off randomly. Outlook is similar in forgetting that I disabled group by, but that's a conversation for a different thread ;)

View attachment 928337

Windows Explorer still does not list the folder size. I am not a fan of relying on third party software to find large files/folders like WinDirStat and TreeView. That is my only issue with it. Finder calculates the sizes for you and its quick to see how much something is taking up space.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Well i was for long time windows user and i jumped to mac because i heard only good things about it. But from the bugs point of view, i think its the same now.
For example, if you select pictures in folder and press spacebar for fullscreen presentation, the slideshow of the pictures is going backwards and no sorting settings can fix this...what a joke.
This bug is in osx like 2 years now without any fix....
Apple really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.