Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
The Problem I face is that I can boot into my non-OCLP Mojave macOS, but all other OCLP macOS's give met black screens.
I'm not familiar with RX580 in a real Mac, but I have used the graphics card in hackintoshes and I just built a hack with RX560x, so I know Radeon graphics with Open Core.

If you post your current OC config.plist, I'd be happy to take a look.

If you prefer, you can PM me. I have been visiting infrequently lately, so you may need to be patient for a response if you're waiting for me.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm not familiar with RX580 in a real Mac, but I have used the graphics card in hackintoshes and I just built a hack with RX560x, so I know Radeon graphics with Open Core.

If you post your current OC config.plist, I'd be happy to take a look.

If you prefer, you can PM me. I have been visiting infrequently lately, so you may need to be patient for a response if you're waiting for me.

Thank you for your offer, greatly appreciated. As I was expecting a much easier transition from the GTX 680 to the RX 580 after injecting EnableGOP, the RX 580 worked on my other macOS's before.
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 11.38.02.png

So I've decided to put a hold on this head scratching project to me for now. Need some more clear headroom for this.
Keep you posted when I'm ready to move forward. Cheers.

Reactions: deeveedee

scsskid

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2016
heads up: I updated to 12.7.5 on a late 2013 macbook pro with dual graphics, not sure about oplp version, but I did a fresh install of 12.7.4 only couple of weeks ago,

result: stuck progress bar on boot

my guess is missing graphic cards drivers for nvidia, I'll try to force nvidia, there is a workaround on github as far as I rememeber

or it way the other way round

EDIT:
Resolvable like before:

apparently the update removed the Nvidia driver once again

enter safe mode, change default graphics to intel reboot, apply root patches
maybe applying root patches in safe mode is also possible

Howto: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/522

Last edited:

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Thank you for your offer, greatly appreciated. As I was expecting a much easier transition from the GTX 680 to the RX 580 after injecting EnableGOP, the RX 580 worked on my other macOS's before.
View attachment 2378253

So I've decided to put a hold on this head scratching project to me for now. Need some more clear headroom for this.
Keep you posted when I'm ready to move forward. Cheers.
Hi @m4v3r1ck

Have you tried to reapply OCLP post-installation patches in Safe Mode in order to install the Radeon RX580 driver on the system?

Uninstalling the OCLP post-installation patches does not seem enough because the graphics driver is still present in the system.

I read somewhere that some people have to reapply OCLP post-installation patches several times in safe mode before they can get rid of the black screen and display the login screen, and then the desktop.

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
MacPro5.1 from the signature. macOS 12.7.4 - OCLP 1.4.3

OTA Update to 12.7.5 -> ReInstall Legacy Wi-Fi Patch from OCLP (Broadcom BCM43xx ) = Everything is fine, and there seem to be no problems.

mib01

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
I'm using Monterey 12.7.5 + OCLP 0.6.8, and every time I wake up the Mac to log in, the window keeps freezing. Any solution ?

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
I'm using Monterey 12.7.5 + OCLP 0.6.8, and every time I wake up the Mac to log in, the window keeps freezing. Any solution ?
It seems to me that unless you describe the hardware configuration on which these problems occur, no one can help you ;)

Reactions: scsskid

Tickled

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Hi guys. Long time user of Monterey on iMacs 11.3 and 12.2, post install patching happening by ethernet connection to enable the wifi. The latest purchase has booted to 12.7.5 fine, but there's no wifi or ethernet this time (both ok on high sierra), can't make a thunderbolt or ethernet bridge to another machine.

I have another 2011 iMac running Monterey, how do I use the boot EFi from that machine on this one? Or is there an easier method?

Tickled

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Hi guys. Long time user of Monterey on iMacs 11.3 and 12.2, post install patching happening by ethernet connection to enable the wifi. The latest purchase has booted to 12.7.5 fine, but there's no wifi or ethernet this time (both ok on high sierra), can't make a thunderbolt or ethernet bridge to another machine.

I have another 2011 iMac running Monterey, how do I use the boot EFi from that machine on this one? Or is there an easier method?

Is ethernet not working something to do with the Monterey release I wonder?

unclemiltie

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
I've used OCLP to install Monterey (12.7.1) on a whole bunch of machines and this one has me stumped.

iMac 12,2 with an upgraded GPU (K3000) based on work done in this forum. Was running High Sierra so I did an upgrade as follows:

• built an external USB with OpenCore and the Monterey installer
  • booted the installer
  • installed Monterey, rebooted the EFI on the USB and selected the Monterey disk
  • pop up tells me that I need to install OpenCore on the boot disk, do that
  • reboot, Monterey starts and runs from the internal disk, USB removed.

But the Wifi doesn't work. It worked fine with the machine running High Sierra before I did the upgrade.

Suggestions on where to look? There's a LOT of software installed on this system so erasing and starting over is going to be a real pain.

Tickled

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Is ethernet not working something to do with the Monterey release I wonder?

Could be.

I followed the same process but installed on to an external SSD via USB rather than the internal SSD, using an older version of both Monterey and OCLP and the iMac (2011, i5 3.1) booted up with WiFi working first time.

The BT needed switching off then on to work, compared with the other two machines the graphics seemed slightly wobbly at first, they soon sorted. No post-install needed, all working very stably and as it should, now through Firewire. I'll see if the same approach works direct to the internal drive.

daehl

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Yesterday I installed Monterey macOS 12.7.5 using OCLP 1.4.3 on two nearly identical MacBook Pros. Both are MacBookPro11,3 models but one has a 2.5 GHz CPU and the other is 2.8 GHz. This is the first time I've used OCLP but both installs went smoothly. I've been installing & updating apps today and I noticed one odd difference: When I run the macOS app Ookla SpeedTest 1.27, it works fine on one of them (the 2.5 GHz CPU), but always crashes on the other (the 2.8 GHz CPU). They both have the exact same wifi card (Broadcom BCM43xx) and I get the same result whether I connect via ethernet (using a Thunderbolt2-to-Ethernet adapter) or Wifi. Of course I can still use the Speedtest.net website, but I'm really puzzled as to why I'm getting different results on two nearly identical MacBooks. The only other difference was that on the 2.5 GHz system I updated to Monterey (on top of a macOS 11.7.10 installation that already had SpeedTest installed), whereas the 2.8 GHz was a clean install of Monterey with nothing migrated and a fresh install of SpeedTest from the Apple Store. Maybe a preference or plist file from the older install is allowing it to work on the 2.5 GHz system?

NOTE: The 2.8 GHz system crashes immediately after opening the window with the "GO" button and a Problem Report appears always with the same info:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 4 Illegal instruction: 4
Terminating Process: exc handler [2728]

I used Find Any File to search for all occurrences of "ookla" on both MacBooks and found some extra folders on the 2.5 GHz system, but nothing I've tried so far has gotten the SpeedTest app to work on the 2.8 GHz system. Again, this isn't a serious problem, but I noticed others reported problems with Speediest in this forum and hoped this might be of interest or would contribute new info to the problem.

EDIT: Problem SOLVED! A few minutes after I posted (above), I got SpeedTest to work on the 2.8 GHz system! I made a few changes and then rebooted the MacBook and afterwards SpeedTest is now working! This is quite a surprise because I've rebooted this MBP multiple times and that alone never solved the problem. I'm not 100% sure what solved it, but I'll describe what I recall doing:

1. I copied the SpeedTest (Universal) app from the 2.5GHz system to the desktop of the 2.8GHz system. The file size was slightly different from the one in the 2.8GHz's Applications folder (the one from the 2.5GHz system was about 30 bytes smaller) but both reported the same version 1.27. I tried launching both versions and they both crashed with the same error.
  2. I copied these files from the 2.5GHz system to the 2.8GHz system (replacing the existing files):
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.ookla.speedtest-macos.bom​
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.ookla.speedtest-macos.plist​
    ~/Library/Containers/com.ookla.speedtest-macos/Data/Library/Preferences/com.ookla.speedtest-macos.plist​
  3. I created the following new folder (based on its existence on the 2.5GHz system):
    ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.ookla.speedtest-macos-speedtesthelper​
    And placed and alias to it in the folder:​
    ~/Library/Containers/SpeedTestHelper/Data/Library/Application Scripts/​
  4. I tried launching SpeedTest again and both copies crashed just like before, so then I rebooted the system.
  5. After rebooting, I launched the copy of SpeedTest on the desktop again. This time a dialog appeared asking me to approve Location Services being allowed for SpeedTest, and the application ran without crashing!
  6. I tried launching the version in the Applications folder and it also works now.

My guess is that step #2 above (and rebooting) solved the problem. Either the .plist or .bom file must not be created properly for a fresh install of SpeedTest within a clean OCLP install of Monterey.

Kind of an insignificant problem, but how satisfying it is to solve it nonetheless!

Last edited:

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
I've used OCLP to install Monterey (12.7.1) on a whole bunch of machines and this one has me stumped.

iMac 12,2 with an upgraded GPU (K3000) based on work done in this forum. Was running High Sierra so I did an upgrade as follows:

• built an external USB with OpenCore and the Monterey installer
  • booted the installer
  • installed Monterey, rebooted the EFI on the USB and selected the Monterey disk
  • pop up tells me that I need to install OpenCore on the boot disk, do that
  • reboot, Monterey starts and runs from the internal disk, USB removed.

But the Wifi doesn't work. It worked fine with the machine running High Sierra before I did the upgrade.

Suggestions on where to look? There's a LOT of software installed on this system so erasing and starting over is going to be a real pain.
Did you install OCLP post install root patches?
I think they are needed for the original Wifi card of your iMac.

unclemiltie

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
I was pretty sure that I did but I checked. When I click on the button to install the patches the window pops up and says "all applicable patches already installed"

BTW, I'm using OCLP 1.4.3 and this is Monterey 12.1

unclemiltie

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
the system report shows the WiFi card but says that it is "off". But in the Wifi controls on the menu bar if I click on the wifi icon the setting is shown as "on"

Says it is an Atheros 9380 4.0.74.0-P2P

unclemiltie

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
for what it's worth, I have an identical system in my office at work (2011 iMac, 12,2) with the exception of the graphics card. It has the identical Atheros WiFi card with the same version of firmware on the card as reported by system report. I have no issues with WiFi on that machine.

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
MacPro5.1 from the signature. macOS 12.7.5 (21H1222) - OCLP 1.5.0

In app Updating from OCLP 1.4.3 to 1.5.0 -> Install in EFI -> Install Legacy Wi-Fi Patch (Broadcom BCM43xx ) -> Reboot = Everything is fine, and there seem to be no problems.

Reactions: jgleigh

unclemiltie

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Decided to try again

Reinstalled a fresh High Sierra onto the system - WiFi works

used Migration assistant to move the stuff from the El Capitan computer - WiFi works

used Open Core to upgrade to Monterey - Wifi no longer works

I'm going to try to install Monterey directly but I've had issues with migration assitant on Monterey not being able to move stuff from older versions of MacOS. So hopefully that'll work

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Manned my battle station and updated macOS Monterey to 12.7.5 using OCLP 0.5.3. During this process, I came to realize my system was some kind of OCLP galore:

1. Update to macOS 12.7.5 => root repatch with OCLP 0.5.3 = big mess no Wifi / Networking etc.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 11.26.22.png

2. Undo post-install root patches and reboot:
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 13.33.42.png

2. Downloaded the new OCLP 1.5.0 installer package:
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 13.37.16.png

3. Rebooted
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 13.45.20.png

4. Updating bootloader

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 13.48.34.png

5. Post-install root patching
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 14.10.17.png

Happy to have successfully updated macOS 12.7.5 and upgrading to OCLP 1.5.0. Nice practice for updating my other macOS Ventura and Sonoma SSD's.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 14.03.08.png

Thanks to Mr. Macintosh + OCLP Team / Jessie's Flying / MacRumors :cool:

Reactions: scsskid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.