Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
Just something going bonkers in your system preferences. Your iMac is running a version of macOS that it was never intended, ....................................................................... Not sure it's worth doing on a "hope it helps" plan
(I apologize for the book!)
Hey! Thank you very much for taking time to write back. I will play around with the settings and see if anything helps.
Battery change and new SSD next on the project list :)
Thank you again.

Edit after 2 hours: The more I use the system, more problems i am unearthing. Today when I was playing around with settings, i was jumping around between different apps. When switching between apps, i noticed it was kinda getting hung. Eventually it terminated all apps and became unresponsive. Had to reboot everytime.
Computer has 10 gb of RAM. Could it be a problem with RAM size? too small for this OS?

Last edited:

dcabq

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Thanks for your reply. I could think about replacing the internal optical drive with a SSD. If I invest in a SSD, will it solve all these issues once drive is replaced? Sorry I am not a tech guy at all. So knowledge is limited.

Also, what could be causing this problem in the first place? the USB?? Why does it work well the first 20-30 mins? If its the usb, shouldnt it cause problem from the time of boot up? Just curious!!
I put an internal ssd on my early 2009 iMac 9,1. It ran fine with Monterey 12.7.3 and OCLP 0.6.8. I did a OTA upgrade to Ventura 13.6.5 and OCLP 1.4.2. It ran fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imac10_1

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hey! Thank you very much for taking time to write back. I will play around with the settings and see if anything helps.
Battery change and new SSD next on the project list :)
Thank you again.

Edit after 2 hours: The more I use the system, more problems i am unearthing. Today when I was playing around with settings, i was jumping around between different apps. When switching between apps, i noticed it was kinda getting hung. Eventually it terminated all apps and became unresponsive. Had to reboot everytime.
Computer has 10 gb of RAM. Could it be a problem with RAM size? too small for this OS?
10 gigs of ram is not good for anything.

Can help if you had a signature so these top cats can better help and understand what your setup is.

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
10 gigs of ram is not good for anything.

Can help if you had a signature so these top cats can better help and understand what your setup is.
Ya i know man. Its an old hag of a machine. Willing to upgrade some hardware if its worth it. Honestly i dont know much about computers so cautious before burning money. On my Mac, i think i can upgrade to max 16 GB RAM

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
I put an internal ssd on my early 2009 iMac 9,1. It ran fine with Monterey 12.7.3 and OCLP 0.6.8. I did a OTA upgrade to Ventura 13.6.5 and OCLP 1.4.2. It ran fine.
May i ask if what RAM you have? Did you upgrade he RAM when you installed 12.7.3?

dcabq

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
May i ask if what RAM you have? Did you upgrade he RAM when you installed 12.7.3?
I have 8 GB for the iMac 9,1. This is the max (only two slots) for the iMac 9,1. I had this much memory on this iMac when it ran High Sierra. I went from High Sierra --> Monterey (OCLP 0.6.8) and then Monterey (OCLP 0.6.8) --> Ventura 13.6.5 (OCLP 1.4.2). With the iMac 10,1 - 16 GB is the max with 4 slots. On Amazon 16 GB is ~$31 with four 4 GB modules.

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
I have 8 GB for the iMac 9,1. This is the max (only two slots) for the iMac 9,1. I had this much memory on this iMac when it ran High Sierra. I went from High Sierra --> Monterey (OCLP 0.6.8) and then Monterey (OCLP 0.6.8) --> Ventura 13.6.5 (OCLP 1.4.2). With the iMac 10,1 - 16 GB is the max with 4 slots. On Amazon 16 GB is ~$31 with four 4 GB modules.
Thanks.
I'm trying to run Monterey via the external NVMe and that seems to be the problem.
I guess, time to replace internal drive with SSD.

Even if i end up spending some bucks for a new SSD and some RAM, its still worth it.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
RAM requirements will definitely depend on apps / use cases. When I was using Monterey as my production macOS, I found that 8GB RAM in my MBP6,2 was more than adequate for Monterey when using MS Office apps, Visual Studio and XCode. Understand that my expectations were low given that my MBP6,2 has a 1st Gen Intel i7.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi all - I had the SSD die on my 2012 15" Retina MBP that was running Monterey via OCLP. It's been a while since I set it up, my memory is a little hazy on how to set it up.

Can I just use OCLP on my M1 Mac to create a Monterey USB installer, stick the new SSD and the USB drive into the 2012 MBP, boot off the USB drive and go from there?

As I have a 2012 MBP and it struggled a little with Monterey, I thought it was not worth going with Ventura or Sonoma.

Thank you!

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Is there some way to not show OCLP patcher window at login? It offers me to install root patches to enable WiFi, which I not need. (Configured both Ethernet ports in bond & mac is near switch).
Are you saying that your Mac does not require any post-install root patches? If so, I think that you would only be seeing the "OCLP patcher window" if you had previously applied OCLP post-install patches.

If you are saying you need only the OCLP-generated Open Core EFI and you don't need any post-install patches, have you tried using OCLP to "Revert root patches" ? Reverting root patches with OCLP will not touch the Open Core EFI that you installed with OCLP's "Build and install Open Core."

I will be interested to hear if reverting root patches works for you (I'm not absolutely certain, because I haven't recently been testing OCLP without applying post-install patches).

Last edited:

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
@deeveedee
I created Monterey installer & installed OCLP to its ESP, used minimal configuration (to be able too boot from usb/sata/nvme). Afterwards, installed Monterey. After that - installed OCLP to boot drive, ESP. As I said, no need in WiFi. USB1 been worked around by hardware - I use LED Cinema 27" as main display. Keyboard & mouse installed to its ports + Asus USB 4 dongle. AFAIK root patches not needed with my hardware (videocard is RX 6600, drives are SATA SSDs + 1 HDD + NVME card with 2 NVME SSDs).

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@Tratkazir_the_1st If you have never previously installed OCLP post-install root patches (only used OCLP's "Build and Install Open Core"), then it's possible that OCLP's "Build and Install Open Core" still configured login items and/or LaunchAgents. You would need to manually disable these in order to stop checking for installed OCLP post-install patches. Login Items are configured via System Settings > General > Login Items. LaunchAgents are in /Library/LaunchAgents.

I'll be interested to know what you find and how you disable the patch checks.

EDIT @Tratkazir_the_1st I'm not sure if this interests you, but OCLP disables some security measures to facilitate installation of root patches. If you don't need root patches and you are interested, you may want to look at SecureBootModel and csr-active-config (for SIP) in your Open Core config.plist. This discussion could easily go off-topic for the majority of users who install both Open Core EFI and OCLP post-install root patches, so experimentation with SecureBootModel and csr-active-config is going to be on your own.

EDIT2: @Tratkazir_the_1st One other thing, it's also possible that OCLP added Wi-Fi kexts to your Open Core EFI. It would have done this to work with the Wi-Fi framework root patches. If you're interested, you may want to examine your Open Core EFI to see if it injects any Wi-Fi kexts that you don't need. Another OT effort on your own.

EDIT3: @Tratkazir_the_1st Depending on the version of OCLP, there may also be LaunchDaemons in /Library/LaunchDaemons. I haven't inspected closely, but I believe that if there are LaunchDaemons, these are used to detect a macOS upgrade (and thus a need to apply OCLP post-install patches). So in summary, you'll need to check Login Items, LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons depending on what automatic OCLP behavior you want to disable and depending on how you want to disable (or delete) them.

Last edited:
Reactions: webg3

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
CPU fan works like crazy on start-up with iMac9.1. Is that normal? I can stabilize with TG Pro after the boot.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Has this been since you opened up your iMac?
Is it ONLY the CPU fan?
I don't think there is an accessible temp sensor that controls the CPU fan (there's no reseat-able connection for the CPU temp sensor, AFAIK.)
It might help to replace the battery. If that is original, it is ~15 years old. Takes a BR2032.
But first, have you tried an SMC reset? The SMC controls the fans, and a reset of that SMC may help:
Shut down your iMac.
Disconnect all cables attached to your iMac, including the power cord.
Wait at least 15 seconds. The SMC reset occurs automatically when the power cord is disconnected for several seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, and your other connections.
Press power button to start up your iMac.

Reactions: telepati

amarmot

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Seattle
Bug report: OCLP on Mac Pro 5,1 with Monterey 12.7.4. Name of drives in Bootpicker do not update correctly.

Due to an apparent system bug (?), changing the name of a drive does not update preboot information in /Preboot/(UUID)/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails. The OC bootpicker appears to rely on this data to specify the names of the available boot drives. As a result, an asr clone of any bootable system has the same name as the original system and cannot be distinguished in the bootpicker. The only apparent work-around is to boot from the copy, and change the preboot name with a sudo edit.

The OCLP project does not accept bug reports from the general public on Github. Can someone involved in the project please pass this report up the food chain. Thanks.

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
OCLP 1.4.3 on MacPro 5.1 Monterey 12.7.4 (21H1123)
In app update from 1.4.2 to 1.4.3 -> Install update to EFI -> Root patch (Legacy Wifi) -> Reboot.
Everything is great, at least at first glance.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Bug report: OCLP on Mac Pro 5,1 with Monterey 12.7.4. Name of drives in Bootpicker do not update correctly.

Due to an apparent system bug (?), changing the name of a drive does not update preboot information in /Preboot/(UUID)/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails. The OC bootpicker appears to rely on this data to specify the names of the available boot drives. As a result, an asr clone of any bootable system has the same name as the original system and cannot be distinguished in the bootpicker. The only apparent work-around is to boot from the copy, and change the preboot name with a sudo edit.

The OCLP project does not accept bug reports from the general public on Github. Can someone involved in the project please pass this report up the food chain. Thanks.
One can use my Preboot Fixer and Renamer script, part of the dumper package.

IMG_6408.png

Reactions: f329

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Interesting… can this be run while booted on another drive (besides the one being renamed)?
Yes, it is modifying the Preboot Volume. Main purpose was repairing the mess High Sierra makes with other OS' Preboot volumes, but renaming is part of the repair, so we can use it for all kind of renaming Systems.

Just select "Proceed with label editor" to rename.

BTW: I have a tool in the Dumper package for renaming ESPs as well. Comes handy when dealing with more than one ESP (like Windows and OpenCore).

And since yesterday Mount From List And Show Bootloader switches off (after user confirmation) booting Windows ESPs from Apple native BootPicker. (by renaming bootx64.efi). This function tests if it runs on a MP up to 5,1 - not to set users into a panic mode when using Uefi Windows natively on machines what didnt get harmed that much as the CMP. OpenCore boots UEFI Windows without bootx64.efi, so this is kind of securing the bootrom - until Windows makes that file again after repair / update.

All this stuff is no secret, can be achieved by manually tinker with the Terminal. But much more comfortable with that tools, and doable for non-nerds.

Reactions: kkinto and basslik

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
@deeveedee
I created Monterey installer & installed OCLP to its ESP, used minimal configuration (to be able too boot from usb/sata/nvme). Afterwards, installed Monterey. After that - installed OCLP to boot drive, ESP. As I said, no need in WiFi. USB1 been worked around by hardware - I use LED Cinema 27" as main display. Keyboard & mouse installed to its ports + Asus USB 4 dongle. AFAIK root patches not needed with my hardware (videocard is RX 6600, drives are SATA SSDs + 1 HDD + NVME card with 2 NVME SSDs).
if you dont get that issue resolved, you can always just delete app app completely. whatever you needed is already installed.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello everyone

I'm trying to figure out how be able to switch easily between the two OS installs I have put on my cMP3,1 — Monterey installed via OCLP and a dosdude-patched copy of Mojave (each on their own internal drive).

I have an AMD Radeon WX5100 GPU which doesn't show the native boot screen. Would a solution be to install OCLP on both drives or would that somehow be harmful?

Thank you very much

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Hello everyone

I'm trying to figure out how be able to switch easily between the two OS installs I have put on my cMP3,1 — Monterey installed via OCLP and a dosdude-patched copy of Mojave (each on their own internal drive).

I have an AMD Radeon WX5100 GPU which doesn't show the native boot screen. Would a solution be to install OCLP on both drives or would that somehow be harmful?

Thank you very much
its not reccomended to have two different patchers in at the same time, so the solution is to use 1 at a time by inserting the one you want and removing the unused one, and no oclp will not work blow big sur.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for replying. But forgive the follow-up question. As I understand it OCLP is added to the EFI of a disk. It seems to me each OCLP instance would be agnostic with respect to any other such instances on other disks, or am I missing something?

its not reccomended to have two different patchers in at the same time, so the solution is to use 1 at a time by inserting the one you want and removing the unused one, and no oclp will not work blow big sur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.