Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Thanks
[IMG alt="MrScratchHook"]https://forums.macrumors.com/data/avatars/m/1335/1335650.jpg?1671304017[/IMG]

MrScratchHook

You have been a rock solid mate while dealing with this obstacle. have you updated the new PT 2024.3 yet?
Hellllllll nooooo...ive seen enough crash test dummies complaining on facebook avid page about loading issues, not opening, not being able to open older sessions and other things. Seems to me(and this is just my opinion) that they rushed this version out to meet a deadline, 2024 just isnt ready and on the same day avid dropped, mac went ahead and dropped 14.4😆 just to further complicate things. im on 2023.12.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
You just changed problems… Sonoma is not stable with a MacPro5,1 in a production environment. The moment you push it hard, the KPs start.

Besides that DRM/hardware compression/decompression also doesn't work correctly.
Alex would this pertain to using Pro tools as well?

Okay I'm stuck here. I cannot get OCLP to now get Ethernet going. It's telling me the cable is hooked up but my computer has no IP address. Man I shouldn't have updated OCLP 1.3

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks. So no WiFi or Ethernet.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Alex would this pertain to using Pro tools as well?

People usually report problems a lot more when running video apps/tools.

The main issue with ProTools is the plugin ecosystem, a lot of plugins now use AVX2 with Ventura and Monterey, this factor alone eliminate MacPro5,1 completely as a viable audio workstation.

Maybe works for your workflow, works good enough for some people, you have to test and see for yourself.

Reactions: basslik

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
People usually report problems a lot more when running video apps/tools.

The main issue with ProTools is the plugin ecosystem, a lot of plugins now use AVX2 with Ventura and Monterey, this factor alone eliminate MacPro5,1 completely as a viable audio workstation.

Maybe works for your workflow, works good enough for some people, you have to test and see for yourself.
Thanks. AVX2 ?
Pro Tools Plugin format is AXX. So maybe that's something workable. CHEERS

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Did you tried blessing it manually?

Try blessing it manually, if you still can't, you'll gonna need the BootROM reconstruction service. Let me know if you successfully blessed it or not.
IMAGE 2024-03-16 17:08:42.jpg
Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you very much! I managed to set it as the default, but it was only possible by reinstalling macOS. However, another problem has arisen. After selecting OpenCore Boot Loader as the primary, this window started appearing upon startup. It loaded fine the first time, but the second time I encountered this unclear window. Moreover, if I boot manually, everything is fine. I'm using OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.4.2, macOS Monterey, Windows 11, on a Mac Pro 5.1. Thanks in advance for your help.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
View attachment 2359806 Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you very much! I managed to set it as the default, but it was only possible by reinstalling macOS. However, another problem has arisen. After selecting OpenCore Boot Loader as the primary, this window started appearing upon startup. It loaded fine the first time, but the second time I encountered this unclear window. Moreover, if I boot manually, everything is fine. I'm using OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.4.2, macOS Monterey, Windows 11, on a Mac Pro 5.1. Thanks in advance for your help.

This happens when the NVRAM volume is messed and Windows take over, just resetting the NVRAM is not enough. When this happens is usually a Windows boot coup.

Did you enabled ProtectSecureBoot? You probably have the BootROM signed by Windows UEFI installed SecureBoot.

Also, the text mode OC BootPicker shouldn't even appear with a correctly installed OC/OCLP instance and a supported GPU.

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
This happens when the NVRAM volume is messed and Windows take over, just resetting the NVRAM is not enough. When this happens is usually a Windows boot coup.

Did you enabled ProtectSecureBoot? You probably have the BootROM signed by Windows UEFI installed SecureBoot.

Also, the text mode OC BootPicker shouldn't even appear with a correctly installed OC/OCLP instance and a supported GPU.
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! I'll admit, I found some of the technical aspects a bit challenging to fully grasp. Could you possibly simplify the steps I need to take next? Specifically, I'm unclear on how to adjust or disable the ProtectSecureBoot setting in OpenCore, as well as how to address the NVRAM issue you mentioned. Any additional guidance or a more step-by-step approach would be incredibly helpful. Thanks again for your patience and assistance!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! I'll admit, I found some of the technical aspects a bit challenging to fully grasp. Could you possibly simplify the steps I need to take next? Specifically, I'm unclear on how to adjust or disable the ProtectSecureBoot setting in OpenCore,

ProtectSecureBoot is useless after the BootROM is already damaged. Anyway, you can get everything you need about the config.plist from the first post of the Manually Configured OpenCore on the Mac Pro stickie thread, this is easily searchable and fairly documented. ProtectSecureBoot is part of the Basic Settings.

…as well as how to address the NVRAM issue you mentioned. Any additional guidance or a more step-by-step approach would be incredibly helpful. Thanks again for your patience and assistance!

BootROM reconstruction for MacPro5,1 is a paid service that I provide, I'll send you a PM with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.

Reactions: K two and trifero

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
my sister gave me a 2008 unibody aluminum MacBook since her friend said she didn't want it anymore. has the Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 6GB RAM and a 500GB WD SSD. I was able to update it to Monterey 12.6.3 and then update OTA to 12.7.4 without issue. seems to be running smooth with its 6GB of RAM but decided to grab a pair of 2x4GB to bring it to 8 total after making sure the firmware met the needs. Gonna give it to my friends mother as a web browsing machine. her 2014 basic 4GB RAM mini is too slow.

Reactions: K two and f329

dcabq

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Updated from Monterey 12.7.3 to Monterey 12.7.4 for mid 2010 Macbook Pro 7,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Monterey 12.7.4, reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.

Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Updated from Monterey 12.7.3 to Monterey 12.7.4 for mid 2010 Macbook Pro 7,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Monterey 12.7.4, reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.
You may want to consider the latest nightly which patches non-Metal graphics on early MB Pros.:cool:

dcabq

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Updated from Monterey 12.7.3 to Monterey 12.7.4 for early 2009 Mac Mini 3,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Monterey 12.7.4, reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Is it possible to install Monterey to iMac 9,1 with OCLP latest? It will be stable or not?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
No lags or getting full graphic acceleration?

You should diminish your expectations, iMac9,1 does not support AVX or AVX2, the GPU is non METAL and with just 512MB of VRAM.

Even back in the day was never a good example of performance GPU and for today's heavy GPU usage for the UI, the performance is seriously lacking.

Reactions: K two and telepati

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
You should diminish your expectations, iMac9,1 does not support AVX or AVX2, the GPU is non METAL and with just 512MB of VRAM.

Even back in the day was never a good example of performance GPU and for today's heavy GPU usage for the UI, the performance is seriously lacking.
Thank you. I skipped the Ventura cuz OCLP warning me to some features won't work. I installed Monterey. It is working great so far. But sometimes it's glitchy UI just like you said.

Last edited:

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
Hiya all,

Imac 10,1 late 2009 21.5 inch. With great difficulty upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite on the internal drive.
Got a NVMe external SSD and installed the latest version of Monterey via OCLP 1.4.2. Did root patching etc as mentioned in the oclp documentation. The OS load up well with exception that wifi doesnt connect to my internet automatically. I have to manually connect it no matter what. This is not a big issue though. The big problem I am facing is :

Everything works well for the first 20-30 mins. If i stop being active on the computer i.e leave it without any input like mouse movement or keyboard input, the system will shut down all the apps im running. Its either safari or chrome at best. Thereafter the computer becomes unresponsive. nothing works except the mouse movement. I have to kill the power supply. I had read online that these old macs have issues with USB 1.1. So i even got a USB 3.0 hub to connect the NVMe SSD.

Any help on how i can get around to fix this problem? Would greatly appreciate any inputs.

(Running a Tesla GE force 9400)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
External boot drive works well enough, but it's a USB 2.0 connection, therefore slow compared to the internal SATA.
And, adding a "USB 3.0 hub" is that, by name only. Your internal USB bus will always be USB 2.0 and anything connected to that bus will be maxed out with USB 2.0

Have you considered replacing the internal HDD with a SSD?
Not terribly challenging to do that, and no double-sided tape to replace, like on the iMacs 2012 and newer.
And, I think, you would end up with a bit better response from your system, by using an internal boot drive.

Reactions: Imac10_1

Imac10_1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
External boot drive works well enough, but it's a USB 2.0 connection, therefore slow compared to the internal SATA.
And, adding a "USB 3.0 hub" is that, by name only. Your internal USB bus will always be USB 2.0 and anything connected to that bus will be maxed out with USB 2.0

Have you considered replacing the internal HDD with a SSD?
Not terribly challenging to do that, and no double-sided tape to replace, like on the iMacs 2012 and newer.
And, I think, you would end up with a bit better response from your system, by using an internal boot drive.
Thanks for your reply. I could think about replacing the internal optical drive with a SSD. If I invest in a SSD, will it solve all these issues once drive is replaced? Sorry I am not a tech guy at all. So knowledge is limited.

Also, what could be causing this problem in the first place? the USB?? Why does it work well the first 20-30 mins? If its the usb, shouldnt it cause problem from the time of boot up? Just curious!!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just something going bonkers in your system preferences. Your iMac is running a version of macOS that it was never intended, but that's why you did that, and one result in your particular Mac, running a much newer system. So, something about that newer system (and the connection through OCLP) is giving you have a minor issue. You could turn off all any sleep setting, so it does not try to go to sleep automatically (it's not quite getting there, so maybe best to keep your iMac from sleeping on its own.
(I have an older iMac, running Sonoma. During the install process to get THAT to work, that iMac8,1 now refuses to ever restart. I can only shutdown, then start from completely off. Restarts don't work, at all, even when booting to my other boot system on that iMac, which is Snow Leopard. That won't restart either. Just something I have to remember when I install updates on the OCLP system.
So, what do you do? Go though your various settings, such as login, or energy saving, looking for the various settings that are affected by some time period, such as automatically starting a screensaver, or sleeping after "X" minutes--those kind of settings.
Your goal is to prevent the Mac from responding to any kind of automatic time period (sleep, log out, screensaver timeout, etc), so if you see some choice about a time period, try choosing "Never", or whatever the longest setting might be. Should help in your case.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting replacing the optical drive, but you could do that if you want. If you are not using the hard drive, THAT's the one you could replace with SSD. And, with that in mind, you have a nearly 15 year old iMac. The other internal piece that might be worth replacing is the PRAM battery. It's just a button battery, a BR2032. It's maybe better known as a clock battery, as it keeps the time, and various other stored settings when you might unplug the iMac occasionally. But, the battery doesn't last forever, and a couple of the settings that it keeps might be related to what you have, like sleep settings. That battery, when low, or maybe dead, might cause strange issues to occur, sometimes a dead battery might keep the iMac from booting properly. Anyway, might be worth opening that iMac up, replacing that button battery, and, while you are there, replacing the old hard drive with an SSD.

Finally-yes, I know this is suggesting some tech-y stuff. You would need tools, and access to take-apart information, and all that goes with that. Not everyone that I suggest repair stuff actually gets there - but, here's help, anyway. Take it for what it's worth...https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_21.5%22_EMC_2308
Look through those repair guides. You might find it's not as daunting as it looks to replace the hard drive.
And, I also now remember that that little button battery is as hard as it looks (you have to remove almost everything from inside the case to do that one. Well, look at the steps anyway, just for fun. (I suspect that a repair shop would probably charge for 4 hours of labor to do that one (I forget that iMac requires removing the main logic board. It's a complicated job that requires a lot of extra care, and moved quite a lot of fairly fragile stuff. Not sure it's worth doing on a "hope it helps" plan
(I apologize for the book!)

Reactions: Imac10_1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.