Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Got second copy of Monterey installed :). First SSD used - didn't worked, Samsung EVO 870 1Tb. But I've got other, server grade PM893 - all OK. Partitioned it as APFS & started installation. After 3-4 autoreboots system was online :D.

Attachments

• pm893.png
    pm893.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • evo-870.png
    evo-870.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 28

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I respectfully disagree... If I were to manually go in and build opencore with Mac Pro 6,1 smbios it would not find the Sonoma update... OCLP just builds opencore for you automatically, but it's still Opencore. There's obviously something added on the OCLP process that just needs to be removed.
A few inquired about it in previous post. I'm sure someone could have done it by now I would imagine. nonetheless I'm okay with the red circle. I would like to find out how to see the firewire network icon in the network tab.

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Hello! Why after I updated the video card from GTX Titan to RX 6800 XT, it stopped automatically transferring me to the Open Core EFI Boot loader. The video card is fully flashed for Mac Pro 5.1, was bought at Macvidcards.

When turning on, it automatically loads to somewhere unclear, on the screen is a loading bar without the Apple logo. I have to press alt myself and manually select the OpenCore loader.

I am using MacOS Monterey and OpenCore Patcher version 0.6.4. OpenCore loader is installed on an empty separate drive in the first

SATA slot. Please help what to do, I can't find anything on the internet.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello! Why after I updated the video card from GTX Titan to RX 6800 XT, it stopped automatically transferring me to the Open Core EFI Boot loader. The video card is fully flashed for Mac Pro 5.1, was bought at Macvidcards.

When turning on, it automatically loads to somewhere unclear, on the screen is a loading bar without the Apple logo. I have to press alt myself and manually select the OpenCore loader.

I am using MacOS Monterey and OpenCore Patcher version 0.6.4. OpenCore loader is installed on an empty separate drive in the first

SATA slot. Please help what to do, I can't find anything on the internet.

It's a common issue, NVIDIA webdrivers for GTX Titan are known to mess with the MacPro5,1 BootROM's NVRAM volume, saving a big blob inside the VSS stores that blocks AMD GPUs to work. If you can't access the Apple native BootPicker with your RX 6800XT MacVidCards flashed GPU, you have this issue.

You can try a deep NVRAM reset, if doesn't work, you will need a BootROM reconstruction service. You will also gonna need to clean install Monterey, since when you install an unsupported release via OCLP, the root patching process removes all GPU drivers but the drivers for the GPU you had installed when you did the macOS install.

So, if you changed the Titan for the RX 6800XT without re-installing Monterey, the 6800XT didn't work because of the missing GPU drivers.

RumorChaser

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2023
Hey everyone,

I am currently running Monterey 12.7 on my iMac 2011 12,1. It keeps asking to install Sonoma, which I do not want to do since I'm running the stock hd6750. I have tried to spoof the smbios, disable sip, etc but no luck disabling this update.

Does anyone know what OCLP adds to always find the latest OS updates? Typically on a hackintosh the smbios sets the max OS. This does not seem to be the case when using OCLP. It must add some type of kext or entry to override the smbios. Any ideas?

I respectfully disagree... If I were to manually go in and build opencore with Mac Pro 6,1 smbios it would not find the Sonoma update... OCLP just builds opencore for you automatically, but it's still Opencore. There's obviously something added on the OCLP process that just needs to be removed.
Yes. It has been discussed on this thread before (but I'm too lazy to search for the link, you can try finding it using thread tools). The "community recommended" way to deal with this is to install a profile to disable major updates but it will leave minor updates intact. One tool to use is "iMazing Profile Editor".
OCLP possibly did something to enable updating indiscriminately, I don't know. It's not important enough the Devs will look into this.

Reactions: G3llings

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
It's a common issue, NVIDIA webdrivers for GTX Titan are known to mess with the MacPro5,1 BootROM's NVRAM volume, saving a big blob inside the VSS stores that blocks AMD GPUs to work... you will need a BootROM reconstruction service...
Very interesting. I don't have a MacPro5,1, so this is probably a naive question...

Instead of a BootROM recontruction, could OpenCore's ability to emulate NVRAM be used to overcome this issue? There are many hackintoshes that emulate MP5,1 without native NVRAM support (emulated with OpenCore). Again, probably a naive question... just wondering.

EDIT: Read a little more here.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Very interesting. I don't have a MacPro5,1, so this is probably a naive question...

Instead of a BootROM recontruction, could OpenCore's ability to emulate NVRAM be used to overcome this issue? There are many hackintoshes that emulate MP5,1 without native NVRAM support (emulated with OpenCore). Again, probably a naive question... just wondering.

EDIT: Read a little more here.

Emulated NVRAM is loaded after POST, so, any issues that affect loading OPROMs and etc while doing POST still happen. It's not a solution for this type of issues.

Reactions: deeveedee

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
It's a common issue, NVIDIA webdrivers for GTX Titan are known to mess with the MacPro5,1 BootROM's NVRAM volume, saving a big blob inside the VSS stores that blocks AMD GPUs to work. If you can't access the Apple native BootPicker with your RX 6800XT MacVidCards flashed GPU, you have this issue.

You can try a deep NVRAM reset, if doesn't work, you will need a BootROM reconstruction service. You will also gonna need to clean install Monterey, since when you install an unsupported release via OCLP, the root patching process removes all GPU drivers but the drivers for the GPU you had installed when you did the macOS install.

So, if you changed the Titan for the RX 6800XT without re-installing Monterey, the 6800XT didn't work because of the missing GPU drivers.
I would like to clarify that my operating system actually works well, and I do get access to the EFI Boot Loader, but not automatically. Each time I start my computer, I need to manually press the 'alt' key to access the boot menu and manually select the EFI Boot Loader. This is not very convenient, and I am looking for a way to automate this process.

I need help to make the computer automatically enter the EFI Boot Loader without having to manually select this option every time. Could you advise how to solve this?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I would like to clarify that my operating system actually works well, and I do get access to the EFI Boot Loader, but not automatically. Each time I start my computer, I need to manually press the 'alt' key to access the boot menu and manually select the EFI Boot Loader. This is not very convenient, and I am looking for a way to automate this process.

I need help to make the computer automatically enter the EFI Boot Loader without having to manually select this option every time. Could you advise how to solve this?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

If the Apple native BootPicker is working, press Control and select whatever you want as the default boot.

JnL

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2023
My 2011 13" MBP SDXC slot is broken in Monterey. Is there any way to make it work again outside of using it in a supported version of MacOS?

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Got a question.
ANybody beside me got troubles with BT headsets? I need some kind of headset (BT or USB) for work, SKype messaging. Got Behringer headset (BB560M when connected). Can't make microphone to work... It is shown in System preferences in Audion Input device, but don't catches sound. My main display is LED CInema 27", which has audio & webcam built-in. When it's micrphone is selected - it works. Acceess to microphone is granted for Skype. Where to look for else?

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
If the Apple native BootPicker is working, press Control and select whatever you want as the default boot.
It seems there has been a misunderstanding. Although I can access the native Apple BootPicker, the issue is that even after selecting the desired boot option while holding the Control key to set it as default, my computer still boots to an unknown location. I continue to see the loading bar without the Apple logo, regardless of my actions in the BootPicker.

Are there any other steps I can try to resolve this issue? Sorry for the confusion, but I really need to make my computer boot correctly and automatically.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It seems there has been a misunderstanding. Although I can access the native Apple BootPicker, the issue is that even after selecting the desired boot option while holding the Control key to set it as default, my computer still boots to an unknown location. I continue to see the loading bar without the Apple logo, regardless of my actions in the BootPicker.

Are there any other steps I can try to resolve this issue? Sorry for the confusion, but I really need to make my computer boot correctly and automatically.

Did you tried to deep reset the NVRAM? If you cant set the default boot disk, you have an issue with the BootROM.

Do you even have the Apple BootPicker? The grey one?

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

This is becoming circular…

If you can't bless via BootPicker + Control, you probably have an issue with the MacPro BootROM.

The only other way to bless is doing it manually, mount your ESP, then:

Code:
bless --mount /Volumes/EFI --setBoot --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi

For more info, read the first post of the thread below:

Reactions: GidroGen

GidroGen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Ви намагалися глибоко скинути NVRAM? Якщо ви не можете встановити завантажувальний диск за замовчуванням, у вас проблема з BootROM.

У вас навіть є Apple BootPicker? Сірий

Yes, I successfully performed a deep NVRAM reset and heard the startup sounds, indicating that the reset was indeed performed. However, the core issue remains unchanged. After the reset, I still need to manually press the 'alt' key to access the Apple BootPicker, the grey one, and manually select the EFI Boot OpenCore, and then the Monterey system boots up. So, the system works, but I must manually select the boot option every time, which is not ideal.

It seems there might be an issue with the BootROM, as you've suggested, since I can't set the boot disk to automatically load through the EFI Boot OpenCore without manual intervention.

Do you have any further suggestions on how I might resolve this issue to automate the boot process? Or is there a specific method to diagnose or address the BootROM issue directly?

Thank you for your continued assistance.

IMAGE 2024-03-01 16:40:16.jpg

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you have any further suggestions on how I might resolve this issue to automate the boot process?

Did you tried blessing it manually?

Or is there a specific method to diagnose or address the BootROM issue directly?

Try blessing it manually, if you still can't, you'll gonna need the BootROM reconstruction service. Let me know if you successfully blessed it or not.

Reactions: GidroGen

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
For Open Core Legacy Patcher users.

After upgrading Monterey to 12.7.4 (21H1123) on a MacPro 5.1 with an old Broadcom BCM43xx WiFi chip and re-patching with Legacy WiFi Patcher, the network (including LAN) completely drops out.

Tested with new OCLP 1.4.1 and old 0.4.11 - patching after upgrade to 12.7.4 completely crashes network interfaces.

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
@f329 i had such an Issue on MacMini 2012 after installing Sonoma with latest OCLP. It worked well, but the next day or so the Network (LAN) was completely not reaching any site on Internet, seemed dead. What helped was to remove the Ethernet and adding it again.

Reactions: f329

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
For Open Core Legacy Patcher users.

After upgrading Monterey to 12.7.4 (21H1123) on a MacPro 5.1 with an old Broadcom BCM43xx WiFi chip and re-patching with Legacy WiFi Patcher, the network (including LAN) completely drops out.

Tested with new OCLP 1.4.1 and old 0.4.11 - patching after upgrade to 12.7.4 completely crashes network interfaces.
Exactly my case! I lost 16 hours yesterday trying to fix it. Interesting points:

- macOS Monterey 12.7.4 reinstall from USB doesn't help
- reinstall OCLP 1.4.1 and patches doesn't help
- reverting to OCLP 1.3.0 doesn't help
- deleting and adding networks services doesn't help
- it works OK in Monterey Recovery mode, so I am sure that hardware and router is fine
- also it works in Windows and Big Sur on another drive

Let us know if you solve it, I'll try myself later today.

Update: it's seems it's a common problem and anyone with 5,1 and Monterey 12.7.4 with OCLP has this problem. Users of manually configured OC are fine and 12.7.4 works great on their machines. So it seems that it's a bug in this specific configuration with OCLP. Apparently, the 1.4.2 patch is already in preparation to fix this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: f329
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.