Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

thanar

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Kozani, Greece
I have problems with oclp and parallels. After install root patch on MacBookPro 8.1 - 12.3 with oclp 0.4.3. I can't install or run parallels v17. When I revert the root patch it installs and run but without acceleration it is very annoying.

The same with Safari swipe back gesture.

Is there any solution to get back parallels and safari gestures after installing the root patch?
I am facing the exact same problem as you. iMac 11,1 running Monterey through OCLP 1.3.0. No version of Parallels works with the Root Patches enabled. Did you manage to find a workaround solution?

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I have moved back to Monterey from Sonoma. I think its the best stable version fior the 2011 Macbook Air with 4GB ram. No lags, no fans on full blast and its smooth and fast. I think this Monterey OS is the break even for my machine and i am gonna stick with it full time. ✌️

garibaldo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Porto Alegre, Brazil
I am facing the exact same problem as you. iMac 11,1 running Monterey through OCLP 1.3.0. No version of Parallels works with the Root Patches enabled. Did you manage to find a workarou

I am facing the exact same problem as you. iMac 11,1 running Monterey through OCLP 1.3.0. No version of Parallels works with the Root Patches enabled. Did you manage to find a workaround solution?
AFAIK there is no virtualization possible under OCLP....

thanar

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Kozani, Greece
The version I had installed on High Sierra (Parallels 11) did not work and I had to install a newer version. I also have a licence for Parallels 18, which installed with no issues and is working wonderfully. Now if I only could grab another licence, cause their new yearly subscription model seems kind of odd to me...

Reactions: garibaldo

RumorChaser

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2023
AFAIK there is no virtualization possible under OCLP....
This is certainly not true. But depending on what software you use and what you're trying to run there can be problems. Some versions of parallel uses the Metal API to accelerate parallel's own program drawing, and if you have no Metal support, the parallel program runs unsupported instructions and crashes.

You can use VMWare or VirtualBox, and if these programs do not use Metal API to draw its own program interface, you won't run into a problem there.

But MacOS starting with Catalina banned kexts, which is traditionally how many virtualization programs (on the host) implement certain acceleration functions. So older virtualization programs trying to install kexts because they were developed for older MacOS and were allowed to install kexts at the time would refuse to work. For instance, you will need VirtualBox 7.0 on Monterey host because older VirtualBox may refuse to start.

Then when we are talking about guests, if you're running macOS as a guest (on an Intel based host), anything after Catalina cannot have graphics accelerations, due to kext restrictions.

So virtualization on MacOS is possible, but severely restricted. I can confirm the following combination works: Monterey 12.7 host + VirtualBox 7.0.4 + Ubuntu 22.04 guest

thanar

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Kozani, Greece
Then when we are talking about guests, if you're running macOS as a guest (on an Intel based host), anything after Catalina cannot have graphics accelerations, due to kext restrictions.
This is not true. On my setup, iMac11,1 with Metal GPU, on Monterey using OCLP, using Parallels 18, Graphics acceleration works on Windows like running through bootcamp. Blazing fast. AFAIK, Parallels is the only virtualizator that provides full graphics support to the guest OS. I've tried both VirtualBox and VMWare; VirtualBox doesn't even have basic 2D acceleration for the GUI.

Vanjus666

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
I have upgraded to Monterey (with OCLP of course), and now my WIFI is not working. I have installed post-installation patches few time, and nothing helps. I have reset PRAM few times, and still no help.

Can anyone help?

Vanjus666

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
I have Mac Pro 5.1, Nvme SSD with adapter, Radeon RX 6600, 32gb RAM, OS Monterey.

- problem with wifi after upgrading from Mojave.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I have Mac Pro 5.1, Nvme SSD with adapter, Radeon RX 6600, 32gb RAM, OS Monterey.

- problem with wifi after upgrading from Mojave.
You'll have to manually enter the WiFi name etc, even though it's already listed. Delete it and manually enter the credentials.

Reactions: crjackson2134

G3llings

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2020
Hey everyone,

I am currently running Monterey 12.7 on my iMac 2011 12,1. It keeps asking to install Sonoma, which I do not want to do since I'm running the stock hd6750. I have tried to spoof the smbios, disable sip, etc but no luck disabling this update.

Does anyone know what OCLP adds to always find the latest OS updates? Typically on a hackintosh the smbios sets the max OS. This does not seem to be the case when using OCLP. It must add some type of kext or entry to override the smbios. Any ideas?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hey everyone,

I am currently running Monterey 12.7 on my iMac 2011 12,1. It keeps asking to install Sonoma, which I do not want to do since I'm running the stock hd6750. I have tried to spoof the smbios, disable sip, etc but no luck disabling this update.

Does anyone know what OCLP adds to always find the latest OS updates? Typically on a hackintosh the smbios sets the max OS. This does not seem to be the case when using OCLP. It must add some type of kext or entry to override the smbios. Any ideas?
Just have to ignore it. Disable auto update. it's not going away.

G3llings

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2020
Just have to ignore it. Disable auto update. it's not going away.
I respectfully disagree... If I were to manually go in and build opencore with Mac Pro 6,1 smbios it would not find the Sonoma update... OCLP just builds opencore for you automatically, but it's still Opencore. There's obviously something added on the OCLP process that just needs to be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.