Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Update: it's seems it's a common problem and anyone with 5,1 and Monterey 12.7.4 with OCLP has this problem. Users of manually configured OC are fine and 12.7.4 works great on their machines. So it seems that it's a bug in this specific configuration with OCLP. Apparently, the 1.4.2 patch is already in preparation to fix this problem.
... Which is why I continue to apply Monterey and Ventura post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.8.

As far as I can tell, the problem introduced by OCLP 1.4.1 has nothing to do with OC (and thus nothing to do with "manually configured OC"). It is a problem with the way 1.4.1 is applying post-install patches. There are not post-install patches required for Legacy Wi-Fi in Monterey and Ventura.

EDIT: I'm not sure if the supposed "breakage" is in OCLP post-install patches or in macOS. Legacy Wi-Fi continues to work fine for me in both Monterey 12.7.4 and Ventura 13.6.5 with OCLP 0.6.8 post-install patches.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Same here. I upgraded to 12.7.4, now my WiFi won't connect (RATS). I should have known better. I did not back up either. That's crazy because that's my automatic workflow working in Pro Tools, and I always do three back ups.

I'm not going to spend hours reinstalling everything, so I'll just have to run a long cat5 cable whenever I need to do updates for my rig, or until maybe there's a fix.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Same here. I upgraded to 12.7.4, now my WiFi won't connect (RATS). I should have known better. I did not back up either. That's crazy because that's my automatic workflow working in Pro Tools, and I always do three back ups.

I'm not going to spend hours reinstalling everything, so I'll just have to run a long cat5 cable whenever I need to do updates for my rig, or until maybe there's a fix.
I didn't install 1.4.1 post-install patches and I don't have your Mac, so take this suggestion with a grain (or few grains) of salt... are you able to revert OCLP post-install patches using OCLP 1.4.1? If so, are you then able to apply OCLP post-install patches with an earlier version of OCLP?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
same here, MP5,1 with stock wifi.

12.7.4 and OCLP 1.3 / 1.4.1 broke Networks - rolled back to 12.7.3 and OCLP 1.3 atm.

Tried my Wifi scripts, manually connecting by the cli tools, removing all network prefs.

All the tricks I knew didnt worked.

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
Even if I prefer Monterey for my work I just could not wait for this bug fix as I have to work on Monday. So I bite the bullet and upgraded to Sonoma and everything works now. However, the update was not easy because OCLP can't dowload KDK needed on a machine without network. So, I took a spare SSD, install fresh Big Sur that works fine and then from that volume installed latest Sonoma on my main drive. Made all updates and root patches and now I am operational again. Bye-bye Monterey, it's been a pleasure!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Even if I prefer Monterey for my work I just could not wait for this bug fix as I have to work on Monday. So I bite the bullet and upgraded to Sonoma and everything works now. However, the update was not easy because OCLP can't dowload KDK needed on a machine without network. So, I took a spare SSD, install fresh Big Sur that works fine and then from that volume installed latest Sonoma on my main drive. Made all updates and root patches and now I am operational again. Bye-bye Monterey, it's been a pleasure!

You just changed problems… Sonoma is not stable with a MacPro5,1 in a production environment. The moment you push it hard, the KPs start.

Besides that DRM/hardware compression/decompression also doesn't work correctly.

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
I use another MacPro5,1 in multimedia production with Sonoma for four months and I had zero problems, I use Adobe Creative Cloud set and Topaz apps and it works fine, I guess I am lucky with the combination of hardware and software. In that period I had only one crash and that was in Safari while browsing. I have my fingers crossed!

Reactions: trifero

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
As far as I can tell, the problem introduced by OCLP 1.4.1 has nothing to do with OC (and thus nothing to do with "manually configured OC"). It is a problem with the way 1.4.1 is applying post-install patches.
I think the network interfaces crashing is specifically due to incompatibility of OCLP patching (I tried 1.3.0/1.4.1/0.4.11) with the 12.4.4 update. Most likely the OCLP version doesn't matter at all, it's the update.

P.S. I've now checked the OCLP releases page and I see that the description now includes (it originally didn't, as I recall) a warning about incompatibility with Legacy Wireless patches:

WARNING 4: Do not install macOS 12.7.4 or 13.6.5 if you have a Mac with Legacy Wireless patches​

A recent change has broken the legacy wireless patches on macOS Monterey 12.7.4 and Ventura 13.6.5. A fix will arrive in the next version of OCLP.
So we're waiting for OCLP update.

There are not post-install patches required for Legacy Wi-Fi in Monterey and Ventura.
In my case MacPro 5.1 with BCM4322 module ("IOName" = "pci14e4,432b"), patching for WiFi operation is required starting with Monterey.

Unfortunately I'm locked into Monterey as after Ventura it requires AVX2.0 support, but the hacks to provide this in OCLP are not compatible with Navi10 cards and there is no solution yet. With my AMD Pro W5700 card the mac just won't boot on Ventura and Sonoma, so I'm staying on Monterey.

I also have an RX580, which allows me to do a system upgrade. But I use the mac a lot for Stabble Diffusion / Diffusers and the RX580 loses out to the W5700 in performance by a factor of 1.5-2. So it's such a compromise.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany

deeveedee & Macschrauber

Thank you for the knowledge you both have. I haven't a clue how to roll back to Monterey 12.7.3.

Using OCLP 1.3.0.

So I'll stay put for now from what both of you have tried. THANK YOU

Macschrauber

to roll back the best option is to test the updates on a copy of your boot drive. If all runs well you can do it on your main drive.

I did it on a test box with a zoo of OS installed. So I just rolled back by using asr restore to copy back 12.7.3 to the container of that drive with botched 12.7.4 and deleted 12.7.4

asr restore example: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oclp-cant-boot-mac-in-recovery-mode.2413884/post-32979597

dont do such updates on your work machine. Often it works, sometimes not. Test it before. If it works for others it dont guarantee that it works for your personal configuration.

Reactions: f329

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I use another MacPro5,1 in multimedia production with Sonoma for four months and I had zero problems, I use Adobe Creative Cloud set and Topaz apps and it works fine, I guess I am lucky with the combination of hardware and software. In that period I had only one crash and that was in Safari while browsing. I have my fingers crossed!
You wouldn't be running Pro Tools by any chance?

I have the same hardware you have.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
In my case MacPro 5.1 with BCM4322 module ("IOName" = "pci14e4,432b"), patching for WiFi operation is required starting with Monterey.
That would be configured in your Open Core EFI (Build and Install Open Core), not a post-install patch applied by OCLP, correct? If you are saying that OCLP post-install Wi-Fi patches were required by some Macs prior to Sonoma, I didn't know that. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks to @K two for pointing me in the right direction here. I had forgotten that OCLP's sys_patch logic treats legacy_wifi and modern_wifi differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: K two

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Sorry, no Pro Tools, I work in graphics and design.
Thanks. I would love to see the firewire ICON populate on the network tab in Monterey. I have a gut feeling the would cure the problem I have with Pro Tools not shutting down and I have to force quit the program.

No big deal though, I still can work as normal.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-11 um 19.32.28.png

OCLP 1.4.2

Needed to delete the Wifi-Network. Used the script from the Dumper package as I wanted to try my own tricks first :-]

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
That would be configured in your Open Core EFI (Build and Install Open Core), not a post-install patch applied by OCLP, correct? If you are saying that OCLP post-install Wi-Fi patches were required by some Macs prior to Sonoma, I didn't know that. Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, yes, as far as I remember (since I abandoned the idea of manually configuring Open Core in favor of OCLP quite a while ago, having moved to Monterey), after BigSur, my WiFi required additional patching with OCLP to work.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly now, because of the passage of time, but my last experiments were with Martin's universal package, in which I edited the WiFi related kexts loading (from OCLP) and patched with OCLP to get my WiFi working. Such a Frankenstein :)

But speaking of OCLP, starting with Monterey it prompts me to install the Legacy Wireless patch and without that my WiFi doesn't work.

P.S. I don't really use WiFi as the LAN provides all my networking needs - it's more for a sense of control :)
1710182586804.png

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
But speaking of OCLP, starting with Monterey it prompts me to install the Legacy Wireless patch and without that my WiFi doesn't work.

View attachment 2357994
Thank you for your patience with my brain freeze. I had forgotten that OCLP must deal with two classes of "legacy wireless" post-install patches. One class is referred to as "modern_wifi" in OCLP's resources/sys_patch/sys_patch_detect.py. The other class (which includes the original Wi-Fi in MP5,1) of Wi-Fi is referred to as "legacy_wifi" in sys_patch_detect.py. The class of "modern_wifi" devices have post-install patches after Ventura. The class of "legacy_wifi" devices require post-install patches beginning with Monterey.

Please forgive my confusion.

f329

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
OCLP 1.4.2

Needed to delete the Wifi-Network. Used the script from the Dumper package as I wanted to try my own tricks first :-]
I just updated OCLP to 1.4.2, immediately applied the Legacy Wireless patch and rebooted. Bingo! I didn't even have to do anything extra - WiFi is back up and running, the only thing I did was manually select the network I wanted to connect to.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I just updated OCLP to 1.4.2, immediately applied the Legacy Wireless patch and rebooted. Bingo! I didn't even have to do anything extra - WiFi is back up and running, the only thing I did was manually select the network I wanted to connect to.

My Wi-Fi Icon was running in circles and did not connect first.
I guess the fastest but most rude way is to just do in terminal:
Code:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -z
to disassociate from any network.

edit: added a little AppleScript for this code above. Maybe needs xattr -cr scriptname.app

Attachments

• Disassociate from any network.zip
    50.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
So if my understanding OCLP 1.4.2 fixes the legacy WiFi ?

Macschrauber. If 1.4.2 doesn't work I'll try your method. thank you all.​

MacSchrauber I got the same thing when I updated to 12.7.4, the WiFi kept searching even when I turned it off.

One more question if I may. How do you update OCLP. Within the app, or just install the new version and it overwrites ?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OCLP is quite prompt at reporting when an updated OCLP is available, with a pop-up that gives you the choice to update your OCLP app, which will then give you quick access to update your system patches, as well as the EFI opencore components.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
MacSchrauber I got the same thing when I updated to 12.7.4, the WiFi kept searching even when I turned it off.

There are multiple methods to wipe the old wifi network from the settings. One is to select it in the prefpane, hit the - button.

Another is the cli command I posted / posted the script.

Or, in the Wifi-scripts folder of the Dumper package are some tools to remove the entries for preferred networks.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Thanks. I would love to see the firewire ICON populate on the network tab in Monterey. I have a gut feeling the would cure the problem I have with Pro Tools not shutting down and I have to force quit the program.

No big deal though, I still can work as normal.
i run protools and we also have the same hardware on sonoma, monterey and mojave...i have 160 ram. it runs great for me, in sonoma i got a crash on saturday, protools just completely closed, no warnings, no errors, nothing, just closed but it hasnt done it again. outside of that it works pretty good

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
i run protools and we also have the same hardware on sonoma, monterey and mojave...i have 160 ram. it runs great for me, in sonoma i got a crash on saturday, protools just completely closed, no warnings, no errors, nothing, just closed but it hasnt done it again. outside of that it works pretty good
Interesting. I wonder if I should put in a spare SSD and install Sonoma.

Good thing with Pt that it auto backsup. otherwise that would be a show stopper indeed.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Interesting. I wonder if I should put in a spare SSD and install Sonoma.

Good thing with Pt that it auto backsup. otherwise that would be a show stopper indeed.
yeah go for it. you should be fine, and YESSSSS i forgot to save periodically and i had to go into back ups folder and retrieve the last, so that helps. my advice is ccmd save after every big move or small one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.