Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Trying to find some "old" settings - any one found where you go for a software update? How about the ability to change the desktop pictures at a set time period - say every 15 minutes or so?

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
LOL They actually reverted the tab icon in the toolbar.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.28.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.28.58.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 934

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Has anyone managed to get stage manager to stay on the screen at all times? Mine autohides and it is annoying. Plus it doesn't have the skewed look.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.34.01.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.34.01.png
    1 MB · Views: 656
  • Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.34.01.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 02.34.01.png
    1 MB · Views: 647
Reactions: Siannath

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Okay, so I was able to get it installed and up/running. I was most curious about the new System Settings app (System Preferences' replacement), and while initially I wanted to be positive and give it a chance, unfortunately, I am not impressed. It's basically iOS now, and the submenus are awful and hard on the eyes. The great visual trackpad pane is now all text; no "demonstration". It's pitiful, honestly.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.27.44 PM.png
^ This is Accessibility — not too bad upon first sight, BUT...

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.27.51 PM.png
^ This is the display submenu of Accessibility. It's horrid. Hard on the eyes, too "wordy" without visual indicators, meh.

Also, there does not seem to be a way to rotate between desktop wallpapers anymore. Edit: Nevermind, you can still do that. You do have to 'select' a folder, or cluster, then click the "i" button, then it'll allow you to rotate, etc. It just isn't clear upfront.

Specifically in regards to System Settings, ugh. I really don't like how they went with the lowest common denominator, especially there was nothing wrong with the previous configuration. It might have been a bit dated, but it was much easier on the eyes and more "tight".

Edit: Added a screenshot of trackpad settings to show what I mean when I mentioned trackpad settings and no more demonstrations.
Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.49.28 PM.png
^ This is Ventura. Now, compare and contrast...
Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 8.00.49 PM.png
^ In Monterey, here's what it looks like - very user-friendly and easy on the eyes, right?

Hopefully this is just beta and they'll tweak SP to make it more... I don't know, maybe less iOS-like? Especially with the submenus.

Last edited:

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
Okay, so I was able to get it installed and up/running. I was most curious about the new System Settings app (System Preference's replacement), and while initially I wanted to be positive and give it a chance, unfortunately, I am not impressed. It's basically iOS now, and the submenus are awful and hard on the eyes. The great visual trackpad pane is now all text; no "demonstration". It's pitiful, honestly.

View attachment 2014777

View attachment 2014782
^ This is the display submenu of Accessibility. It's horrid. Hard on the eyes, too "wordy" without visual indicators, meh.

Also, there does not seem to be a way to rotate between desktop wallpapers anymore.

Specifically in regards to System Settings, ugh. I really don't like how they went with the lowest common denominator, especially there was nothing wrong with the previous configuration. It might have been a bit dated, but it was much easier on the eyes and more "tight".
It is. I hate, hate HATE IT.

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Okay, so I was able to get it installed and up/running. I was most curious about the new System Settings app (System Preference's replacement), and while initially I wanted to be positive and give it a chance, unfortunately, I am not impressed. It's basically iOS now, and the submenus are awful and hard on the eyes. The great visual trackpad pane is now all text; no "demonstration". It's pitiful, honestly.

View attachment 2014777

View attachment 2014782

Also, there does not seem to be a way to rotate between desktop wallpapers anymore.

Strangest thing is how they use switches instead of checkboxes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 03.01.08.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 03.01.08.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 505

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Has anyone managed to get stage manager to stay on the screen at all times? Mine autohides and it is annoying. Plus it doesn't have the skewed look.
TBH, the first thing I thought when I saw the "skewed depth" effect was "wtf, is this a return to the OS X Leopard dock design?". I vote for keeping it flat. The other look offered no inherent benefit and, if anything, makes it *way* harder to tell what the window group is. IDK about the rest of y'all, but this actually hurts my brain to look at...

Apple-WWDC22-macOS-Ventura-Stage-Manager-220606_big.jpg.large.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.