Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I disabled the swap file on Ventura for testing. its interesting to see no kernel panic. I found no way to crash him. Even after restart my macbook he keep the swap disabled. Only after turning on sip then Ventura is back to normal with swap on.

Familiar Purrson

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2023
Here's a 'Little Thing': I want to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts for specific apps. I'm coming to Ventura from Mojave, in which I was able to go into App shortcuts, select an App (in this case Scrivener, which used to let you do this within the app, but alas) then write the menu item I wanted to assign a shortcut to thusly:

Edit>Transformations>Make Uppercase

And then I suppled the key I was binding this to, say, F6

And I was done.

That doesn't seem to work in Ventura, and every wretched 'help' I find gets you to the setting but doesn't explain the 'language' needed to make this work. That's what I need to know: how do I describe the menu Item?

Reactions: Moka Akashiya

Familiar Purrson

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2023
After posting this, naturally, I found it in Apple's support files, in the basement with a sign reading 'Beware of Leopard' on the door, naturally. The syntax is now :Edit->Shortcuts->Make Uppercase

Why this had to be altered, of course, is beyond me, save maybe, to quote Dr. McCoy, "Engineers love to change things."

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Wow, I didn't know you could enter the menu path too.
I just tried it with "Make Uppercase" and it worked. No need to enter the full menu path. But I can see how that might be a problem if there are two menu entries with the same label that do different things.

Reactions: Familiar Purrson

Familiar Purrson

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2023
Wow, I didn't know you could enter the menu path too.
I just tried it with "Make Uppercase" and it worked. No need to enter the full menu path. But I can see how that might be a problem if there are two menu entries with the same label that do different things.
Yes, it's always best to be as specific as possible, or at least so I've found. One might assume that the next iteration of Scrivener will have the exact same commands, but they changed the implementation on some things drastically, as best I recall, from 2 to 3, and 4, assuming it is created, may do the same.

On the other paw, creating or adapting shortcuts has been made sort of irritating by another screw-up: you cannot, or at least I haven't been able to edit an existing shortcut. Either I'm missing something, or Apple has gone all Diaspora and wants us to think it's a 'feature.' From a practical standpoint, that means you cannot simply edit the path for an existing shortcut and be done with it.

If you can edit them, I'd love to know how.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
you cannot, or at least I haven't been able to edit an existing shortcut.

you mean you can't edit the shortcut for a menu entry if it already has a shortcut?
I just tried to edit the close window entry (cmd+w) to something else, and that worked.

GaryPDX

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Portland, OR USA
Lately, I feel like I have been spending about 45 minutes per week updating double dot and now the most recent single dot release to this Ventura pig. Most vexing is the fact that each time, the software that allows me to connect my iPhone to my 15" MBA needs to be tediously re-downloaded, and a somewhat varying selection of Small Things That Worked Before the Update need to be found int the System settings and refriggulated.

And of course, this stuff must be important, because the shiny new version is due just around the corner and what we can only infer are egregious security issues can't wait. Anyway, I bet Sonoma works a treat and all travails will be past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.