Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Minimizing a window now sends it to the side mini windows view, rather than the dock, when Stage Manager is active. Interesting.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Stage Manager is still randomly shrinking windows to make room for the strip on the side.

An example is Mail. I'll open the window, resize it so I can actually view emails properly, then when I go to open it again it will have shrunk again.

Maddening there's not even an option to turn this behaviour off.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
That's false. Apple Silicon can boot from external drives, but it seems to be picky and some usb-c drives don't work, while thunderbolt ones always work.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So far I haven't had any success booting my M1 Pro MacBook Pro off a USB-C drive. I've tried multiple brands and different cables. All those drives boot just fine on Intel-based Macs. Having to buy an expensive Thunderbolt drive just for this purpose is insane.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
so it's a snow leopard? I am fine with that.
haha. what?

each new OS (along with the usual 'killer features') brings improvements, bug fixes, enhancements... and new bugs. hence, the endless betas and point updates. and you can update... or not. it's pretty simple (if you want to keep it simple).

so yes; in some sense, every new OS is the new snow leopard...

Reactions: OKonnel

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
haha. what?

each new OS (along with the usual 'killer features') brings improvements, bug fixes, enhancements... and new bugs. hence, the endless betas and point updates. and you can update... or not. it's pretty simple (if you want to keep it simple).

so yes; in some sense, every new OS is the new snow leopard...
Nah. The most recent releases of macOS were not focused on improving stability or security.
macOS 11 drastically changed the UI and macOS 12 brought some new iOS features also to the Mac.

Reactions: AAPLGeek and gank41

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Nah. The most recent releases of macOS were not focused on improving stability or security.
you know this because...???? hmmm.

based on apple's own reports, every beta, point update, and new OS has work done under the hood. and personally, that's what i care most about.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
you know this because...???? hmmm.

based on apple's own reports, every beta, point update, and new OS has work done under the hood. and personally, that's what i care most about.
Because I have been using and abusing OS X since it was on power pc.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Because I have been using and abusing OS X since it was on power pc.
me too. so we both use mac OSes. but how does that prove your point? 🤔

EDIT: in which case, you're well aware of, for example, security enhancements, fixes, updates... between point updates and new OSes. so...... 🤔....

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I think at the time Snow Leopard was released, it was kind of branded as a “catch up” release. And didn’t Apple also go more than a year between releases then? I remember some versions of OS X sticking around for like 2 years.. Throw a “maintenance release” in that 2 or so year cycle, your bound to shore things up.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
me too. so we both use mac OSes. but how does that prove your point? 🤔

EDIT: in which case, you're well aware of, for example, security enhancements, fixes, updates... between point updates and new OSes. so...... 🤔....
Point updates are security fixes and polish. Snow Leopard was release specifically for optimization and security and it did a fantastic job. Are you saying this could be a point update instead of a new OS release?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Point updates are security fixes and polish. Snow Leopard was release specifically for optimization and security and it did a fantastic job. Are you saying this could be a point update instead of a new OS release?
please do not put words in my mouth, have made no such claims.

you said this: "Nah. The most recent releases of macOS were not focused on improving stability or security."

and i am saying that there are always security and stability improvements, between betas, point updates, and new OSes.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
please do not put words in my mouth, have made no such claims.

you said this: "Nah. The most recent releases of macOS were not focused on improving stability or security."

and i am saying that there are always security and stability improvements, between betas, point updates, and new OSes.
I won’t. And on the upside it’s a free update.

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
One difference I'm noticing that (AFAIK) hasn't been mentioned before: the display switching that happens when plugging in or out an external monitor, or closing my MacBook lid while plugged in to an external monitor, is much faster than I've ever seen. I remember it taking 1-2 seconds, and now it's practically instant.

• Love
Reactions: osplo and OKonnel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.