Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
4567890p[lkjhgvcx.png

Release Date ― Mar 25, 2024
Build Number ― 23E224
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― Pending
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 2022.100.22.0.0 (iBridgeOS: 21.16.4222.0.0,0)

New Features & Changes
Resolved Issues

• Certain Java Applications may not work right
  • Certain USB Hubs may not work right
New Issues
Remaining Issues

• Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0
Untested Issues
  • (Major Issue) iCloud may delete files in iCloud Drive.
Additional Notes
  • Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 14 Sonoma will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 14 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 14, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M2, M3
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/M1 Max, M2, M2 Pro/M2 Max, M3/M3 Pro/M3 Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1, M3
    • Mac Pro: 2019, M2 Ultra
    • Mac Studio: M1 Max/Ultra, M2 Max/Ultra
  • macOS Sonoma 14.4 Beta Release Notes
  • macOS Sonoma Preview
  • macOS 14 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester
  • About the security content of macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I was affected, lost some very important documents and photos, and still not fixed after installind 14.4.1

According to this page it was fixed

Did you try to reproduce it again with new documents? The fix won't bring back old deleted versions, but it shouldn't be happening anymore.

drkult

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
According to this page it was fixed

Did you try to reproduce it again with new documents? The fix won't bring back old deleted versions, but it shouldn't be happening anymore.
Not happening anymore is the least they could do. But still I am not yet believing that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to recover what was lost... I mean, it's clearly not the users fault.. I may be able to retrieve some of the files in other backups I may have, but if the final answer is that it's gone for good I'm definetly sueing...

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Did you lose some actual files or the saved revisions? Because that article is only about revisions, that are deleted automatically by macOS when the space on disk is low, it's not about files being deleted.

Anyway, on iCloud websites there a section to restore deleted files, maybe there is something there.

Reactions: gank41

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Did you lose some actual files or the saved revisions? Because that article is only about revisions, that are deleted automatically by macOS when the space on disk is low, it's not about files being deleted.

Anyway, on iCloud websites there a section to restore deleted files, maybe there is something there.

That was my next question as well. Were actual files lost? Or just past revisions? And did you check on iCloud on the web?

drkult

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I lost ALL versions, current and past, and I haven't deliberately deleted anything. In fact some of the files I had acessed last week, therefore < 30 days (which is the limit for recover in icloud drive online). It happened after I bought a new mac mini and it updated to 14.4. Then after a while sorting things in the new PC for some reason I went to the icloud folder and ~20-30% of files were lost

drkult

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
Mostly Docs, PDFs and photos (photos not stored in Apple photos, but some of my camera I use when I travel). Luckily I have a backup of roughly half of what I lost, but still, the other half is gone for now.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I lost ALL versions, current and past, and I haven't deliberately deleted anything. In fact some of the files I had acessed last week, therefore < 30 days (which is the limit for recover in icloud drive online). It happened after I bought a new mac mini and it updated to 14.4. Then after a while sorting things in the new PC for some reason I went to the icloud folder and ~20-30% of files were lost
That is really strange though. Can you find them in iCloud on the web?

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This has happened multiple times in the past. For everyone, if you store important stuff in iCould, please keep a local backup. I for one, would never trust iCould.

sduck

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
My apple watch no longer unlocks my mac. Tried all the usual fixes, no luck. It was working fine before the 14.4.1 update.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Have they fixed the problems with HP printers? I have a network printer specifically and I am unsure if it's safe to update.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have two HP printers connected by ethernet. A LaserJet Pro and an OfficeJet Pro. I have had no problem with either on any issue of Sonoma, including 14.4.1.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Also wondering if the update still turns on uploading my photos to icloud? I'd like to keep them separate. I don't want them uploaded.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Even if it does, it's 1 click to turn it off. Shouldn't be an issue. Mine is always on so I can't test it for you.

Who knows how many photos it will upload to iCloud before you get to turning it off... and then you have to deal with those threatening vague messages.

Looks like they didn't fix Java either? I just got a M3 MbPro and it fortunately came with 14.3. Apparently I can't update it until at least 14.5 :)

Reactions: sauria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.