Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Copy of macOS 14.4 Beta 2.png

Release Date ― Mar 7, 2024
Build Number ― 23E214
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 10151.101.3
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 2022.100.22.0.0 (iBridgeOS: 21.16.4222.0.0,0)

New Features & Changes
Resolved Issues
New Issues

• (Major Issue) iCloud may delete files in iCloud Drive.
  • Certain Java Applications may not work right
Remaining Issues
  • Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0
Untested Issues
Additional Notes

• Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 14 Sonoma will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 14 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 14, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M2, M3
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/M1 Max, M2, M2 Pro/M2 Max, M3/M3 Pro/M3 Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1, M3
    • Mac Pro: 2019, M2 Ultra
    • Mac Studio: M1 Max/Ultra, M2 Max/Ultra
  • macOS Sonoma 14.4 Beta Release Notes
  • macOS Sonoma Preview
  • macOS 14 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Attachments

• 9C8A8687-914C-420C-B3B5-05A7FFCB6A25.png
    9C8A8687-914C-420C-B3B5-05A7FFCB6A25.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I still have issues with universal control. My mac mini M2 pro is on the RC, the MBP M1 Pro is still on 14.3. I secretly hope it gets better than both machines are on 14.4.

I hoped for the final Version today, but it doesn't look like it.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Final is the same build as 14.4 RC here

Ran Software Update on this version and nothing changed.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
View attachment 2356596
Release Date ― Mar 4, 2024
Build Number ― 23E214
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 10151.101.3
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 2022.100.22.0.0 (iBridgeOS: 21.16.4222.0.0,0)

New Features & Changes
Resolved Issues
New Issues
Remaining Issues

• Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0
Untested Issues
Additional Notes

• Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 14 Sonoma will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 14 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 14, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M2, M3
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/M1 Max, M2, M2 Pro/M2 Max, M3/M3 Pro/M3 Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1, M3
    • Mac Pro: 2019, M2 Ultra
    • Mac Studio: M1 Max/Ultra, M2 Max/Ultra
  • macOS Sonoma 14.4 Beta Release Notes
  • macOS Sonoma Preview
  • macOS 14 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.
I searched through the release notes both here and on Apple's webpage and did not see any mentione of the addressing the Apache vulnerabilities. We have a really horrible system from tenable that does our scans. And it reports several MacBooks with the latest updates still have vulnerabilities. I'm hoping 14.4 addresses this. Does anyone know if it does? Here is the finding that our head of security is worried about: "Apache 2.4.x < 2.4.58 Multiple Vulnerabilities". Apple usually addresses this with a security update as part of the normal macOS update. But I didn't see any mention of it in 14.4.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Apache was updated. Anyway, Apache is disabled by default, so there is no way to access those vulnerabilities, and if a malware can enable it, it can already do everything even without Apache.

Twilight1261

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
I've just upgraded to macOS 14.4 and now my MacBook Pro 16" (M1 max) won't boot when I have my external monitors connected. I enter my password, it tries to boot and then restarts and goes back to the password screen. I have two 27" Dell 4K displays connected each directly to the Mac with USB-C. I need to unplug both monitors, start the MacBook and then let it boot into macOS and then plug in the monitors for it to work.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yippie!

Finally  :apple: safari has icons only

This feature is very late 2010’s but a must for space.

Everything else about Sonoma is better since my absence here from Mac rumors

There is too much useless challenging on how to use our products from too many users here.

And the moderation is juvenile as they condone creativity but applaud unnecessary rude replies.

Sorry I had to announce my departure, but the experience here is out of control

Thanks to the great members here who I enjoyed my time with

This would be easier deleting my user name like every other website,

Which is another reason to avoid this site, they control too much petty things.

Sayonara!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I just rebooted my M1 MBP and when I signed back in, it's saying I have no access to my own home folder, my dock and everything was totally reset, and none of my apps are opening. I don't have access to my own folders, any folders, I usually have Dark Mode on all the time but it's in Light Mode. No sign of any of my iCloud settings in the Settings app. It looks almost exactly like a brand new user account, accept the apps I have set to start at login are still starting but then not working because they can't connect to their respective folders. I'm being prompted for my password to run a large number of Apple services that would normally just run. I've tried logging into a USB Installer drive to run repairHomePermissions in the Terminal and then to run Disk Utility / Repair Permissions, restarted and there was no change. I reinstalled macOS from recovery and am seeing no change. I'm afraid I might have to erase & restore from Time Machine. This really sucks. Not what I wanted to deal with this weekend at all.

Reactions: helveta

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I just rebooted my M1 MBP and when I signed back in, it's saying I have no access to my own home folder, my dock and everything was totally reset, and none of my apps are opening. I don't have access to my own folders, any folders, I usually have Dark Mode on all the time but it's in Light Mode. No sign of any of my iCloud settings in the Settings app. It looks almost exactly like a brand new user account, accept the apps I have set to start at login are still starting but then not working because they can't connect to their respective folders. I'm being prompted for my password to run a large number of Apple services that would normally just run. I've tried logging into a USB Installer drive to run repairHomePermissions in the Terminal and then to run Disk Utility / Repair Permissions, restarted and there was no change. I reinstalled macOS from recovery and am seeing no change. I'm afraid I might have to erase & restore from Time Machine. This really sucks. Not what I wanted to deal with this weekend at all.
you didn't sign in to the 'guest user' account? that's what it sounds like (i have a collab who went thru this literally last week).

check the users folder. are your files available there? or do you see the red dot over them ('no access') and the guest user is active?....

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
you didn't sign in to the 'guest user' account? that's what it sounds like (i have a collab who went thru this literally last week).

check the users folder. are your files available there? or do you see the red dot over them ('no access') and the guest user is active?....
It’s absolutely behaving as though it’s a guest account with no access, although I did confirm it’s my account. I’m really at a loss. I’m probably going to have to erase it all and start over. Not too happy about that.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It’s absolutely behaving as though it’s a guest account with no access, although I did confirm it’s my account. I’m really at a loss. I’m probably going to have to erase it all and start over. Not too happy about that.
you're not seeing your data anywhere in the home folder?

anyway, i'd call apple before doing anything else; nothing to lose (literally). good luck 👍

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
you're not seeing your data anywhere in the home folder?

anyway, i'd call apple before doing anything else; nothing to lose (literally). good luck 👍
I'm unable to view the Downloads Folder along with any User folders. I can get to the Applications Folder and Utilities, but each app still wants to reference my own User Folder, which it doesn't have access to. It's literally behaving like my own account with all the apps auto launching and stuff, but under a Guest Account behavior (each time after rebooting) with no access at all to it's won account. I'm currently trying a Revive from Configurator on another Mac, and then if that doesn't work I'll have to do an Erase & Restore, which is unfortunate.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
In fact, the Settings App isn't showing me anything at all under Users & Groups. Just doesn't load. The Revive option didn't work. Going to try an Erase & Restore now. Pain in the butt to have to do the nuclear option.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
In fact, the Settings App isn't showing me anything at all under Users & Groups. Just doesn't load. The Revive option didn't work. Going to try an Erase & Restore now. Pain in the butt to have to do the nuclear option.
look in the actual folder: ie Macintosh HD>Users. what's in there?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
look in the actual folder: ie Macintosh HD>Users. what's in there?
No Access. I can view the Computer's Finder window and can do the hotkeys for the Application & Utilities Folder. Terminal shows right away that I don't have access to itself. I'd post some pictures, but each one has my login/username/email address..

I'm currently starting up Migration Assistant after doing an Erase & Restore.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
No Access. I can view the Computer's Finder window and can do the hotkeys for the Application & Utilities Folder. Terminal shows right away that I don't have access to itself. I'd post some pictures, but each one has my login/username/email address..

I'm currently starting up Migration Assistant after doing an Erase & Restore.
did you change anything? like the home account name?... anyway, hope what you're doing sorts it all out 👍

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
did you change anything? like the home account name?... anyway, hope what you're doing sorts it all out 👍
Thanks! And nope! Didn’t change anything. Just have to wait another 9-10 hours for the migration to finish and hope all is well!

sduck

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Syncing my iPhone via usb seems to have been fixed - I no longer have to kill the MDCrashreporter thing in Activity Monitor to get sync working. I think this was a pretty niche bug - only affected people who still sync an iphone via a usb cable, and also had an apple watch connected (via bluetooth).

BlueberryMac

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Is anyone else noticing duplicate events in the Calendar app after updating to Sonoma 14.4?

(M1 MacBook Air with 16GB or RAM, running Sonoma 14.4)

Last edited:

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Is anyone else noticing duplicate events in Calendar app after updating to Sonoma 14.4?
I stopped using Apple Calendar because it deleted all my events. I use Notes or Reminders instead.

I think it's because Calendar is based on a different codebase from the iOS version.

At this point, it would be best for them to either SwiftUI the Calendar app or Catalyst it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.