Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

maccan

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Thanks! And nope! Didn’t change anything. Just have to wait another 9-10 hours for the migration to finish and hope all is well!
Sounds like your mount points are messed up.
Fire up a Terminal and report the results of the following commands:

ls - l /Volumes

ls -l /Users

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Sounds like your mount points are messed up.
Fire up a Terminal and report the results of the following commands:

ls - l /Volumes

ls -l /Users
Too late! I had to get it working by this morning, and ended up having to put it in DFU mode and then use my Mac mini to do a full erase and restore. Then used Migration Assistant to restore from a Time Machine backup. Other than the normal pains of having to set some things up again and sign in here and there or whatever, I’m just fine right now. But this has to have been one of the weirdest things I’ve had to deal with, Mac-wise, and I’ve dealt with a lot.

Reactions: jagooch

the_PhillyMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
I still have issues with universal control. My mac mini M2 pro is on the RC, the MBP M1 Pro is still on 14.3. I secretly hope it gets better than both machines are on 14.4.

I hoped for the final Version today, but it doesn't look like it.
It's not looking like it. I have 14.4 on my MBP and Air and UC is not working... again.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Too late! I had to get it working by this morning, and ended up having to put it in DFU mode and then use my Mac mini to do a full erase and restore. Then used Migration Assistant to restore from a Time Machine backup. Other than the normal pains of having to set some things up again and sign in here and there or whatever, I’m just fine right now. But this has to have been one of the weirdest things I’ve had to deal with, Mac-wise, and I’ve dealt with a lot.
After keeping my MBP on and logged in and stuff so things can finish indexing and whatever else happens in the background, I suddenly today get this prompt in the System Settings app!

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.32.57 PM.png

All I had to do was select Resume Data Sync and then it just went away, no confirmation of anything. I'm not seeing anything missing (that I'm aware of) from my other Mac. Time Machine has been able to continue using my 3 existing Time Machine external drives. Also overall looks like I might have also freed up another 30 or so GB of free space after this whole fiasco.

Still wishing I knew what caused this to begin with. I do use Onyx once in a while, but hadn't used it since being on 14.3.1, and had gone onto the macOS 14.4 betas and NOT used Onyx at all while on 14.4, Beta or release. It was just frozen when I opened the lid in the morning to wake from sleep, and wasn't thinking about WHY it was happening because it was like 5:30am and I hadn't even started drinking my coffee yet ☕😆 I'm totally able to accept that this could have been from my doing, but I didn't have any apps running overnight or anything going that I was aware of. If I would have been smart enough to catch the time on the clock as it was frozen, maybe I could have found more from some logs. Oh well, hopefully this is all past.

peelor

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
So 14.4 messes up connection to some usb hubs. Especially bad when said hub is inside of a monitor. Double so when it's a pen display. Going back to 14.3 or rerouting usb data some other route might help.

Like USB-C - USB-C moves video only, so single cable connection with Huion pen display makes it a dumb display. Routing image via HDMI or DP and routing USB data via USB-A works. For me, who knows about your mileage.
Also going back to 14.3 works with single USB-C cable.
And using another Mac with 14.4 works with single USB-C too.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Not this, but I am seeing that the Exchange/365 integration is hosed. I can see work/365 Calendars events on my phone, iPad, and Watch. But they're intermittent on the Mac.

Not sure why this is so difficult to keep basic stuff running...they have more frequent updates, and it just breaks more stuff.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It's really easy to blame Apple for every glitch a user experiences. The problem (for Apple) is that not everyone experiences them, so it's pretty damn hard to nail down the cause.

For instance, I'm not experiencing any of the issues people have been talking about - other than a jittery cursor, which turned out to be a conflict of ICC Color Profiles (of all things).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I stopped using Apple Calendar because it deleted all my events. I use Notes or Reminders instead.

I think it's because Calendar is based on a different codebase from the iOS version.

At this point, it would be best for them to either SwiftUI the Calendar app or Catalyst it.

such a mess. New calendar stuff syncs fine between my iPad and iPhone, both on iOS 17.0

but on 14.2 macOS, I don't see any newer events. I rebooted / re-paired iCloud account. manual refresh. nada.

it worked at one point on same version. I'm worried about matters being made worse.

YAY APPLE QC

mactrash

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
14.4 mess up the monitor icc profile that calibrated by BenQ Palette Master Ultimate but no issue with the other mac with DELL that was calibrated by xrite software… strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.