Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
My system is working. I made the necessary settings from the config file. I just need to intervene a few things in the System files. But SIP is blocking me. That's why I want to OpenCore not to intervene in SIP. There is most likely a conflict, but I need to find where it is. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a solution to this. I think I need to read the official guide again.
You can fully control all the SIP settings through OC/OCLP. Have you tried disabling SIP in OCLP and seeing what happens? Enabling SIP could break things on an OCLP system, but I don't think disabling it has similar issues. The GUI gives you full access to all the SIP options.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Is it possible to tell OCLP, I mean to OpenCore to not control the SIP? I want to use official SIP control, when I need it I want to disable or enable from Recovery.
OCLP doesn't control SIP. OCLP surveys your machine and creates a config.plist that controls what OpenCore does when it boots your Mac. OCLP also will patch the OS if necessary to get it to work on unsupported hardware. Generally this patching then comes with a requirements to modify SIP to "lower" security so that the OS will boot and run with the patched components.

Depending on what your system needs you may be able to leave SIP fully on and control it through recovery mode. You can do this with a cMP5,1 and Monterey for example.

So, can you control it yourself? It depends.

Regards,
sfalatko

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
You can fully control all the SIP settings through OC/OCLP. Have you tried disabling SIP in OCLP and seeing what happens? Enabling SIP could break things on an OCLP system, but I don't think disabling it has similar issues. The GUI gives you full access to all the SIP options.
After re-reading the exchange, I see that what telepati wants to do is not possible with OCLP. OCLP always configures NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config in the OC config.plist. OCLP does not provide a way to leave SIP "untouched." If telepati has any hope of achieving his objective with Open Core, it will be as stated here, but I have not tested this.

EDIT: I'm still not certain that I fully understand the SIP requirement, but if the requirement is for Open Core NOT to change/control SIP, then this cannot be achieved with OCLP as it is currently designed/released.

EDIT2: @telepati you may also need to remove NVRAM -> Delete -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config from the OC config.plist (if it is present).

Last edited:
Reactions: telepati

ponta pon pon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Hi,

My Mac (MBP 15'retina late 2013 with Kepler 11,3 , macOS 14.4.1, OCLP 1.4.3) had updated 14.4.1(23E224) -> 14.5(23F79) via OTA.
And I did reboot and post-root-patch in safe mode (show boot selector by reboot+CTRL -> Select boot volume with Shift+Return).

After that MBP reboot, it could get back WiFi and logged in normally.

Thanks to OCLP Developers !!

Reactions: roronl

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
After re-reading the exchange, I see that what telepati wants to do is not possible with OCLP. OCLP always configures NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config in the OC config.plist. OCLP does not provide a way to leave SIP "untouched." If telepati has any hope of achieving his objective with Open Core, it will be as stated here, but I have not tested this.

EDIT: I'm still not certain that I fully understand the SIP requirement, but if the requirement is for Open Core NOT to change/control SIP, then this cannot be achieved with OCLP as it is currently designed/released.

EDIT2: @telepati you may also need to remove NVRAM -> Delete -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config from the OC config.plist (if it is present).
Yes, you are right, I think so too. This seems like the most ideal solution. However, I could not try it because I did not have the opportunity. I'll try this on the weekend.

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
@telepati Maybe I'm confused on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to turn SIP off completely, then OCLP can do that. If you're trying to control SIP externally when OC is running, then you're going to have issues.

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
OCLP doesn't control SIP.
Actually it does. OCLP (really OC in this case) overrides the system SIP settings when it boots. So trying to use Recovery to set SIP on a system running OC doesn't work. You have to use OCLP to setup SIP the way you want.

Reactions: olad

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Like you (and I) said - it is OpenCore not OCLP that is taking the values for SIP in the config.plist and setting them on each boot. It is not OCLP that does it on each boot. OCLP is not involved after the initial setup until a system update occurs and it needs to do its magic again.

OCLP takes the settings in the app and writes the appropriate values into the config.plist. You can manually edit the config.plist and change the SIP settings if you want - so OCLP doesn't control them the config.plist does as it is read on every boot.

However it is not recommended to override what OCLP recommends for SIP settings as proper function depends on the appropriate SIP settings - primarily if root patching is required for your Mac.

If root patching is not required for your Mac then you can leave SIP enabled and control it via Recovery. As I mentioned that is the cMP5,1 can work up to and including Monterey as long as you have updated your stock Broadcom card for WiFi/Bluetooth.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
So trying to use Recovery to set SIP on a system running OC doesn't work. You have to use OCLP to setup SIP the way you want.
Yes, I want to control SIP from recovery. I don't want OC to interfere in any way.
If root patching is not required for your Mac then you can leave SIP enabled and control it via Recovery.
Unfortunately, what you said does not work with the system I am working with. I'm already dealing with something ridiculous. I explained exactly what I did here, most likely it was overlooked.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Yes, I want to control SIP from recovery. I don't want OC to interfere in any way.

Unfortunately, what you said does not work with the system I am working with. I'm already dealing with something ridiculous. I explained exactly what I did here, most likely it was overlooked.

I did miss that you are trying to install Catalina on a 2009 iMac - some thoughts.

Perhaps you should look at the Mojave or Catalina on unsupported Macs thread.

OCLP inserts into the config.plist a NVRAM variable to set SIP on each boot. That can manually be changed in the config.plist and an NVRAM reset should clear the NVRAM variable and allow SIP to be controlled via Recovery.

The important consideration is what does it take to get a version of macOS that requires metal to boot on an iMac that doesn't support metal and does that then force SIP to be off. As I recall with dosdude it did not require you to run without SIP though I never needed to use that on my cMP5,1 as I could just insert the 5,1 board id into the platfomsupport.plist in the preboot and recovery partitions and could use Catalina otherwise unmodified (of course I had a metal graphics card).

Regards,
sfalatko

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Correct me if I misunderstood, but do you just want SIP completely off? OC/OCLP should support that without issue. Enabling the wrong parts of SIP can break OC, but turning it completely off should work (afaik).

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
I see, it's an MM 1. I have both here, an MM1 & MM2. Have you tried this:
  • Switch it off and pull the batteries.
  • Let it sit powered-off while you "forget" the device in bluetooth settings.
  • Leave the bluetooth settings window open, put the batteries back in (or new ones), and switch it on.
  • Bluetooth settings should see it and pair with it.
  • Go into settings / mouse, and configure the various buttons, gestures etc to the way you like them.
I tried this, but no luck. Device is found but when I click on connect with 10 seconds just disapear and cannot find it anymore.

Reactions: rehkram

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I have Sonoma 14.4.1 and latest OCLP. Latest VLC Media Player 3.0.20.

When I am playing audio in VLC and internet browsing at the same time and some some 'heavy' web page data is being received (like loading a youtube video) or even just now I sent email messages from Mail, it screws up the audio I'm listening to in VLC. I have to stop it playing, restart the file playing again and select the 'Continue' button. Seems like a memory clash. Anyone experienced this too?

karesake

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Freiburg, Germany
One short question.

Is it possible to get two Displays to work with a mac mini 2012 or 2014 with Open Core Lagacy Patcher (Sonoma) ?

If yes, how ?

1x HDMI 1x Thunderbolt ?

Does also work 2x Thunderbolt ?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Tnx for 1st question, it's done!

Now only bluetooth connection to magic mouse is the problem :/
I click on Connect, but after that when it says connected, there is no device on My Devices and it is not connected.
I have had the same problem.

Fix: Factory reset the MM itself. Removing batteries won't do. Launch HighSierra (or any OS where that option has not been removed). Pair the mouse there. Use "Factory reset all connected Apple devices".

To do that shift option click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar there, find the debug menu, reset the device and pair it then in Sonoma.

Apple did remove the option in some of the MacOS's thereafter. Don't bother looking in BigSur for instance.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: roronl and houser

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
I don't have another mac with installed High Sierra. Also where to find that debug option for bluetooth in Sonoma?

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
One short question.

Is it possible to get two Displays to work with a mac mini 2012 or 2014 with Open Core Lagacy Patcher (Sonoma) ?

If yes, how ?

1x HDMI 1x Thunderbolt ?

Does also work 2x Thunderbolt ?
Read about WhateverGreen.kext boot-arg igfxagdc=0 here. While not a real Mac, I needed to add this boot-arg to my hackintosh (emulating Macmini8,1) here in order to enable multiple displays.

EDIT: I can't take credit for this. I first learned about this AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch here. The WhateverGreen.kext igfxagdc=0 boot-arg causes WhateverGreen to perform the AGDP patch.

Last edited:

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Correct me if I misunderstood, but do you just want SIP completely off? OC/OCLP should support that without issue. Enabling the wrong parts of SIP can break OC, but turning it completely off should work (afaik).
Just like the @sfalatko said, OC inserts into the config.plist a NVRAM variable to set SIP on each boot. I just want to prevent this. Thank you both for your interest. I'm dealing with something that is unlikely to happen. 🤷‍♂️

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
14.5 general release is much better on my m/c than the betas. Not even minor glitches at this stage, performance is good, fans only busy when background indexing and TM (daily) backup is running.

Question for anyone who might know. Since it's the same build number as the final beta, is this a case of the macOS compiler settings being used by the Apple devs are less heavy for the GA system than the betas? Maybe to enable more detailed logging and/or debugging while in beta?

Or would a new compile of the same code base with different settings have generated a new build number?

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
An interesting but virtually useless bit of trivia ...

I haven't booted Big Sur for a while on my MBP6,2, so I was curious to boot BS 11.7.10 with the OCLP 1.5.0n Open Core EFI. For the first time, I'm being notified of a Sonoma upgrade in Big Sur. This is the first that I have been notified of upgrades beyond BS when running BS on my MBP6,2.

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 7.58.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

avalon18

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Does anybody got experience with Sonoma on Pro 15” 2016 AMD 450 ? Was doing that on beta but got issue with cooling fans on high all time

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I tried this, but no luck. Device is found but when I click on connect with 10 seconds just disapear and cannot find it anymore.
Hmm... did you try rebooting immediately afterwards?

I've gotten in the habit of rebooting after changing anything in settings or macOS in general, it's become a part of my testing SOP

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Just like the @sfalatko said, OC inserts into the config.plist a NVRAM variable to set SIP on each boot. I just want to prevent this. Thank you both for your interest. I'm dealing with something that is unlikely to happen. 🤷‍♂️
You can manually edit the config.plist to delete this NVRAM variable and do a deep NVRAM reset to remove the variable from NVRAM. You could also have OCLP build your config.plist with SIP fully enabled.

That being said you may need SIP lowered or off to boot Catalina with patches to allow it with a non-metal GPU. That's why I suggested you check the thread about Catalina (or Mojave) on unsupported Macs to see what specifically was recommended at the time. The security model for Sonoma is different than Catalina (or should I say evolved and more locked down) so what is required for Sonoma on non-metal may be very different than what is required for Catalina.

Regards,
sfalatko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.