Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
Run Activity Monitor and CPU and it will tell you if you are running Intel or Apple Silicon. If you've never done anything, then you're running Intel.

Here are my directions on running under Apple Silicon:
Hi again - I went through the steps and clicked on your workaround but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working on Sonoma. I double click on it and nothing happens. No error message or any other response.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hi again - I went through the steps and clicked on your workaround but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working on Sonoma. I double click on it and nothing happens. No error message or any other response.

I'm running it on Sonoma right. I tested it on the Sonoma betas and then tested it on my M1 mini when it came out and it was fine. I then updated my Studio and MacBook Pro. Have you been converted over to Schwab yet or are you still on Ameritrade? I can walk you through debugging if you wish though it would probably work out better in email or in another thread. You can reach me at mmoy@yahoo.com if you want to do it that way.

Reactions: hooptyuber

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I'm running it on Sonoma right. I tested it on the Sonoma betas and then tested it on my M1 mini when it came out and it was fine. I then updated my Studio and MacBook Pro. Have you been converted over to Schwab yet or are you still on Ameritrade? I can walk you through debugging if you wish though it would probably work out better in email or in another thread. You can reach me at mmoy@yahoo.com if you want to do it that way.
Thank you so much. I will mess around with it some more and then contact you if I'm still having trouble with it.

Oh, by the way, I'm still on Ameritrade.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, I got it working. I was trying to follow the markets and a few other things at once and didn't see the workaround mounted in the sidebar. D'oh. One thing that's a little different is that the activity monitor shows TOS as Launched and doesn't show the TOS icon. Not a big deal of course but I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you so much for all your work on this and for your help today. The market's closed but I can tell already that everything seems to track and load faster.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Okay, I got it working. I was trying to follow the markets and a few other things at once and didn't see the workaround mounted in the sidebar. D'oh. One thing that's a little different is that the activity monitor shows TOS as Launched and doesn't show the TOS icon. Not a big deal of course but I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you so much for all your work on this and for your help today. The market's closed but I can tell already that everything seems to track and load faster.

Glad you're up and running.

I heard from one person that Schwab will have a native version out by the end of October so the workaround should no longer be necessary.

Reactions: hooptyuber

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
I have had microphone issues with Microsoft Remote Desktop using a bluetooth headset since the early betas. The mic just stops working shortly after the start of a teams meeting. The audio still works great. Works perfectly on Ventura. Anyone else with bluetooth headset issue?

klykins

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2023
Looks like Sonoma (public 14.0) broke IBM SPSS (v29 can't even get to the splash page to find the exact version). It's going to make this semester's doctoral class significantly difficult for me.

Reactions: TomA

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like Sonoma (public 14.0) broke IBM SPSS (v29 can't even get to the splash page to find the exact version). It's going to make this semester's doctoral class significantly difficult for me.
Yes. And IBM has never, ever released a fix for any full-point MacOS update.
The fix will be SPSS 30, probably in December, and that will be a paid upgrade. That's pretty much their business model.

speckled_trout

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Just FYI as no one seems to have mentioned Quickbooks yet... Seems ALL VERSIONS do NOT WORK from 2019 through 2023. All just give a spinning beach ball. Intuit is working on a fix and asks that you regularly select "Check for Updates" under Quickbooks menu to get update when it's released.

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
Seems like Outlook search has (again) stopped working after the upgrade to Sonoma... Think last time it happened was in Ventura 13.2.1...
Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Rebuilding the spotlight search index resolved it this time :)

Last edited:

speckled_trout

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Just FYI as no one seems to have mentioned Quickbooks yet... Seems ALL VERSIONS do NOT WORK from 2019 through 2023. All just give a spinning beach ball. Intuit is working on a fix and asks that you regularly select "Check for Updates" under Quickbooks menu to get update when it's released.

A workaround for Quickbooks found in the forums:
-----------------------------------

As stated earlier in this conversation..... hold the command key after logging in for Mac users and life will be good.

DO
NOT
CLICK
HOME

As this will lock up Quickbooks on Sonoma OS. That said, after using this work-around, QB has been operating normally. You just need to use the drop-down menus.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
I'd like to report that macos sonoma on a mac pro 5,1 runs well with the exception (so far) that the calculator gives me "not a number"..needs further testing but that it so far.
Also im shocked and surprised that protools 2023.6 works along with my uad2 pcie, fabfilter, waves, plugin alliance, ssl native, oek soothe 2, native instruments and softtube plugins(this was a shocker) but none of the websites for those 3rd party apps state they work. today im a 😁 camper. no more upgrades for a year for me...
20231004_094257.jpg

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'd like to report that macos sonoma on a mac pro 5,1 runs well with the exception (so far) that the calculator gives me "not a number"..needs further testing but that it so far.
Also im shocked and surprised that protools 2023.6 works along with my uad2 pcie, fabfilter, waves, plugin alliance, ssl native, oek soothe 2, native instruments and softtube plugins(this was a shocker) but none of the websites for those 3rd party apps state they work. today im a 😁 camper. no more upgrades for a year for me...
fwiw, many developers say that their plugins are not supported in sonoma, not that they don't work... which means they might run. all my plugins (AUs, in logic pro) have worked thru the betas, and work now. good times 👍

Reactions: MrScratchHook

digitaldai

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Sonoma 14.1 Beta (23B5056e) broke my 3d printing apps! scad, flashprint5 dont seem to work any more crash straight away. pretty sure they all worked on earlier beta's/

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
I searched but didn't find any mention of Apple Remote Desktop. Does anyone know if that's working under Sonoma?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't seen this mentioned, but Microsoft Remote Desktop (10.9.3) seems to have a strange bug where the "initial" window (the one where you choose the computer to connect to) gradually gets smaller and smaller. After about a month it must be around half the size it originally was.

I can, of course, just resize it and make it bigger again, but I'm curious to see how tiny it might actually get :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.