Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2016
macOS 11 - Big Sur Beta 1

Release Date ― June 22, 2020
Build Number ― 20A4299v

macOS Big Sur Beta 1 Release Notes

Known Issues
  • Updating to macOS Big Sur 11 beta from previous versions of macOS might take significantly longer than expected. Data loss could occur if the update is interrupted. (59101197)
  • CMake might not run, install, or might generate invalid outputs. (62905973)
    Workaround: Update to CMake 3.18rc1.

New Features & Changes - https://www.apple.com/macos/big-sur-preview/
  • Refreshed Dock
  • Streamlined apps
  • All-new Safari
    • Customizable start page
    • Translate Web-Pages between 7 languages
    • Password monitoring (for passwords leaked during a data-breach)
    • Web Extensions support from other browsers (Chrome/Firefox extensions can be converted and used)
    • Privacy Report
  • Memoji Changes
  • Redesigned Maps
  • Privacy information on App Store
  • Editing features in Photos
  • AirPods automatic switching between devices
  • HomeKit Video has Face Recognition and Activity Zones
  • Siri improvements
  • Faster software updates
  • Control Center enhancements
  • Notification Center enhancements
  • Apple Arcade improvements
  • Optimized Battery Charging with Battery usage history
  • Spotlight improvements
New Issues
  • Stocks widget doesn't update (same issue as iOS 14)
  • Mail will not let me add an additional Gmail account. WTF. Oops. It's Gmail. * Gack! *
Remaining Issues

Resolved Issues
  • (Catalina bug) Mail: Alert chime, notification and badge all appear at the same time
  • (Catalina bug) Photos: Smart album "not in any album" works correctly

Additional Notes

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I wonder if this will be anywhere near as buggy as catalina was for beta 1. one can hope not..

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wonder if this will be anywhere near as buggy as catalina was for beta 1. one can hope not..

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting this time around.. I jumped in head first for Catalina Beta 1. This update looks to have some major changes... I know it's going to be some stuff that's going to be incompatible.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm curious what the "apps that don't run on 11" will look like this time around. is it to much to hope for a smoother transition for once?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Can anyone confirm that regardless of whether you choose light or dark theme, the menu bar is always dark. Happens to me and iStats is fubar'd when it thinks it's in light mode, and the menu bar isn't actually light.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Official Dev Beta Release Notes - https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-big-sur-11-beta-release-notes/

Noteworthy Installation Known Issues:
  • Updating to macOS Big Sur 11 beta from previous versions of macOS might take significantly longer than expected. Data loss could occur if the update is interrupted. (59101197)

• If you updated to macOS Big Sur 11 beta from a previous version of macOS, Software Update might show “Unable to check for updates - Failed to download the documentation for the minor update. Please try again later”. (63158434) [There is a workaround listed]

Workaround:
    - Start up from macOS Recovery.
    - If your data volume is encrypted, use Disk Utility to mount it.
    - In Terminal type
    Code:
    rm -rf "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000y800007k"
    - Restart your Mac.

• Installation might pause on Macs that don’t have input devices connected. (64348347)

• If macOS Big Sur 11 beta is installed into the same APFS container as previous versions of macOS, system software updates can no longer be installed on the previous versions of macOS. (64411484)

• Installation on Core Storage Fusion volumes with FileVault encryption enabled isn’t currently supported. (64472080)

Reactions: GekkoEightySix

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone else failing to sign into iCloud? It's hanging after entering the verification code.
[automerge]1592864759[/automerge]
Can anyone confirm that regardless of whether you choose light or dark theme, the menu bar is always dark. Happens to me and iStats is fubar'd when it thinks it's in light mode, and the menu bar isn't actually light.

Yup, same here. I hope that's not intentional. I'm going to report it as a bug anyway.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I'm guessing this isn't common given it hasn't yet been reported, but my entire Applications folder was wiped and replaced with the default set of apps (interestingly, application data was left alone). Quite a pain re-installing everything.

Reactions: AnitaFoxx

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
The familiar macOS bootup sound is back!
[automerge]1592865818[/automerge]
This seems like a pretty big deal, especially now that Sprint has merged with T-Mobile...

From the release notes:
Phone and FaceTime
Known Issues
  • Regular and emergency Wi-Fi calling using iPadOS 14 beta, macOS Big Sur 11 beta, and watchOS 7 beta isn’t currently available for T-Mobile USA customers. (63078572)

Last edited:
Reactions: CMG91 and Sebosz

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
It seems that Dropbox is crashing on startup. So far it's the only app that has given me any troubles.

Reactions: CMG91

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
Macintosh HD in Disk Utility and Startup Disk menu in System Preferences still refer to macOS 10.16.

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 12.33.56 am.png Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 12.38.57 am.png

Reactions: CMG91

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Normal? Doesnt it say "preparing update" or a timeframe or something like that? It's like that for ages

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 00.33.20.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 00.33.20.png
    237 KB · Views: 417

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Macintosh HD in Disk Utility and Startup Disk menu in System Preferences still refer to macOS 10.16.

View attachment 926208 View attachment 926209

This is a pretty cool look into the macOS development process at Apple. I'm sure internally this was being developed as 10.16 and only later on, closer to WWDC, did Apple decide to call it macOS 11.

Or it could be that Apple decided to call it macOS 11 as soon as it was determined that the 1st ARM-based Macs would be shipping with macOS 11 and then decided to increase the major version number by a whole integer, but couldn't make the subtle details changes to reflect that fact in the 1st Dev beta....

Reactions: KoolAid-Drink

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
It seems that Dropbox is crashing on startup. So far it's the only app that has given me any troubles.

Same issue here. Pretty sure they're still running on a 32-bit kernel extension. Took me a while to get kernel extensions going in general, VMWare came back like normal, no Dropbox though. Oh well, early days still. Don't expect quick action.

Edit: I may be wrong about the 32-bit, seems it should be fully 64-bit at this point. Not sure why it's an issue then.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Same issue here. Pretty sure they're still running on a 32-bit kernel extension. Took me a while to get kernel extensions going in general, VMWare came back like normal, no Dropbox though. Oh well, early days still. Don't expect quick action.

Edit: I may be wrong about the 32-bit, seems it should be fully 64-bit at this point. Not sure why it's an issue then.
Perhaps some kind of hard-coded OS version checking. Not sure what else would cause it.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
This is a pretty cool look into the macOS development process at Apple. I'm sure internally this was being developed as 10.16 and only later on, closer to WWDC, did Apple decide to call it macOS 11.

Or it could be that Apple decided to call it macOS 11 as soon as it was determined that the 1st ARM-based Macs would be shipping with macOS 11 and then decided to increase the major version number by a whole integer, but couldn't make the subtle details changes to reflect that fact in the 1st Dev beta....

That's what I was thinking, too. Seems like kind of a last-minute change of plan to declare Big Sur as the long-awaited macOS 11.

Speaking of which, am I the only one a bit disappointed Apple didn't emphasize that macOS Big Sur was macOS 11? You'd think after almost a decade of Mac OS X/macOS 10, they'd want to show off finally moving to 11?

Also, I kind of feel like macOS 11/10.16, whatever it is, doesn't really feel like macOS 11. Yes, there's a changed UI, yes there's ARM coming, but still... the underlying OS, as it is, still feels much like macOS/Mac OS X. Kind of like they changed the "surface" but kept the underneath the same.

Reactions: rumormiller

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
dudes..PLEASE...can anyone tell me how long the installation takes? the part you can see in the settings after it's downloaded. I've been stuck there for ****ing ages now, something is def wrong here

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 00.33.20.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 00.33.20.png
    237 KB · Views: 454
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.