Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hi Guys!

I'm unable to launch Slack nor Spotify after a few days of installing High Sierra.

The apps immediately crash after launch, no UI is visible. There's the same error message in Console:

UNIX error exception: 17

Does anyone else experience the same issue? Any solution? Clean reinstall doesn't help.

Thank you!

spotify is fine here. perhaps uninstall/reinstall the apps?

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
spotify is fine here. perhaps uninstall/reinstall the apps?
hi

we have 4 kids, one mac.com apple id account for all purchases and 6 different apple ids for facetime and messenger.

we dont use the family sharing because we can not remove a few accounts we tried to make the first time we set it up because the children are under 13 and apple only allows 3 additional accounts.

so that high sierra is out we cant even use separate apple ids with messenger and facetime and are only asked for the password for the main mac.com id had had for all the family since 2010.

So i call apple, share my screen with someone trying o help find a solution and after 40 mins we both realized the family sharing was not designed for large families and we cant use our own unique apple ids to message each other, i told the the apple employee that i have to knock on walls now to get my kids to calm down and before i sent messages...

Anyone have a solution because we are expecting another kid already and our two oldest sons want iphones along with their ipad minis., we need to share one purchasing account and now have no way to message each other.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Not SUPPORTED and WILL NOT WORK mean entirely different things.

What MS actually said was:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 10-11-17, 4.31.22 PM.png

Lou

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
hi

we have 4 kids, one mac.com apple id account for all purchases and 6 different apple ids for facetime and messenger.

we dont use the family sharing because we can not remove a few accounts we tried to make the first time we set it up because the children are under 13 and apple only allows 3 additional accounts.

so that high sierra is out we cant even use separate apple ids with messenger and facetime and are only asked for the password for the main mac.com id had had for all the family since 2010.

So i call apple, share my screen with someone trying o help find a solution and after 40 mins we both realized the family sharing was not designed for large families and we cant use our own unique apple ids to message each other, i told the the apple employee that i have to knock on walls now to get my kids to calm down and before i sent messages...

Anyone have a solution because we are expecting another kid already and our two oldest sons want iphones along with their ipad minis., we need to share one purchasing account and now have no way to message each other.
Regarding communication why not use other channels like What'sUp or Skype to communicate internally with your family members?
Regarding Apple ID: We had also once a problem with Apple but of a different nature. :(
Having questioned the purchase of a small app, my credit card was permanently blocked and that affected at the time even free of charge updates of apps. The workaround was setting a new Apple ID with the data of my wife and her credit card. Can't you create somehow a new Apple ID "modifying" a bit the requested personal info?o_O
Sometimes one has no choice :rolleyes: but use not-100%-exact:mad: information to solve a problem not solvable in another way :D

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
it seems that apple removed the option to add google talk to messenger, you can only use your apple ID.

you know what kills me, its apple and with apple we are not allowed to say the word BUG....its offensive... :)

think different each update, upgrade and platform, its starting to get t to me, i skipped 3 os systems, in fact i went to high sierra from OS 10, everything ran perfect and i did not think there was a need for messenger, but now with kids why not...

We purchased over $1300 of app stuff from apple with our main ID, its a silly .MAC (errrrr) we cnat even get emails with it any more.
Now Apple wants everyone to have their own Apple ID and limit it to 5 in families, this is not fair if you ask me, it seems at the time they decided this no one expected people to buy so many devices.

Anyway, Skype again it is... (microsoft)...again Apple fails us.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks everyone, and to be sure, do you have and use Outlook 2011 in your Office suites and it's working on High Sierra? I thought Outlook 2011's sensitive/picky database file format wouldn't get along well with APFS. IIRC last year's Sierra update broke it and MS had to patch the issue.

I ask because, Outlook isn't included in all the Office suites.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^MS Outlook has never been included with the Home & Student Editions of MS office, but it is included the Home & Business Editions.

Lou

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Yup, that's the Office suite I have (Home & Business). I'd be pretty happy if I could continue on with 2011 a bit longer in High Sierra, if it's still functional.

Main reason is because M$ removed this handy profile switcher at launch and you have to use the cumbersome database utility in 2016 to switch profiles.

291728.image0.jpg

alanterra

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2006
Oakland, CA
For some reason, I can't edit the wiki.
PSBQuickLook is reported by the author to not work with High Sierra, and he doesn't expect to be able to make a functional version soon due to response from Apple technical support.
Skim doesn't work (highlights of pdfs are opaque), and again the author is not hopeful that he can fix this.
Can someone edit the comments re Scrivener? Their technical support lead says that all bugs have been resolved as of Sept 26. http://literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39741&p=238715&hilit=high+sierra#p238715

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Can't agree or disagree with your items 2-4, don't use 'em. But MS outlook (V15.39) definitely works just fine with High Sierra.

Lou

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
X-Plane 11 demo with an HIS HD 7950 3Gb @ 5GT/s working very well from a 7,200 rpm HDD spinner in 10.13.0

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is confirmed to NOT work by it's Publisher Micromat and they have a note on their site saying that it is not compatible and:

MicromatTech 3 said in a forum in response to a question if it was compatible:
No. Please do not use TechTool Pro 9.5.3 with High Sierra.
I do not have an estimate for when the update will be available. In addition to working under a new operating system, the new version would have to have some support for Apple's completely new and still not fully documented filesystem.
[doublepost=1508383561][/doublepost]
I have the Office 2011 suite on my Macbook Pro Touch Bar running High Sierra and it works perfectly.

Just to confirm... are you using APFS? The reason I ask is because a page I found at a page to purchase Microsoft for Office 2016 for Mac claimed that one of the requirments was "Required Hard Disk Space 6GB HFS+ Disk Format". Of course that was written before APFS existed, so hopefully untrue.

I have Office for Mac 2011 Home and Business and would really like to continue using it. Even though Microsoft claims it is unsupported after October 10, the updater downloaded and installed Version 14.7.7 on October 16 without problems.

dschmitty-o

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
hi

I have six kids so welcome to the big family club!

We use family sharing with six IDs right now, with a mix of adult, teen, and under-13.

If you want to have multiple people use messenger, etc. on macOS then best to create separate accounts on the Mac. Then each person logs in to the mac using their own account, and within their account they can use their own Apple ID for messenger, etc.

(On a side note, with a big family it's especially hard to monitor/control what your kids are doing online. I highly recommend Disney Circle.)

bergvattne

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I have a problem with three (2tb,3tb and4tb) external hard disks on my iMac/High Sierra. They would not show up on finder at startup and are impossible to read although they show up in Paragon settings. And there seem to be nothing wrong with them. Does anyone know something or have met the same problem?

myuniqueworld

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Hi everyone, just to let you know that little snitch 3.8 added compatibility for High Sierra. I just updated OSX and had in mind that I would need to buy a new LS licence, but it just worked. So I googled and found the release notes on ObDevs Website:

https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/releasenotes3.html

I can't edit the first post, probably because I'm too new (post count wise). If anyone could just add v3.8 next to v4.0 there, this might be helpful to some.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I have a problem with three (2tb,3tb and4tb) external hard disks on my iMac/High Sierra. They would not show up on finder at startup and are impossible to read although they show up in Paragon settings. And there seem to be nothing wrong with them. Does anyone know something or have met the same problem?

same manufacturer, or different ones? did this start immediately after installing HS? try resetting the SMC, and the PRAM (you can google for your specific mac model)....

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Adium chat client doesn't work.

Adium, I hadn't thought of it in almost a decade! You made me smile...

I have the Office 2011 suite on my Macbook Pro Touch Bar running High Sierra and it works perfectly.

i have zero problems with office 2011 and high sierra

Mee too!, I have no problems launching Office 2011 in High sierra, altough I have it installed only for emergencies.

Hi Guys!

I'm unable to launch Slack nor Spotify after a few days of installing High Sierra.

The apps immediately crash after launch, no UI is visible. There's the same error message in Console:

UNIX error exception: 17

Does anyone else experience the same issue? Any solution? Clean reinstall doesn't help.

Thank you!

Don't know about spotify, but I don't have any problems with slack version 2.8.2 (downloaded from the app store) and High sierra 10.13 (with supplemental update).

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I can't update from the most recent public beta to 10.13.1. It never finds it, even when I removed my machine from the beta process.

Ramic90

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
How do I update from the latest beta (17B46a)? Not showing up on the Mac App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.