Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatTechGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2012
I have a G-Suite account that I have an email domain for my business through. I've been using this since 2009 and have had no issues until about 9 months ago when I noticed my mail downloading 200,000+ emails. It does this so much now that my ISP (Xfinity) has told me that I've reached my monthly data cap and I have to buy more data. Not only are large amounts of messages continually re-downloading, but new messages take forever to be delivered.

I've spoken to Apple and Google about this and they each try and blame each other. I tend to think that Apple is the culprit, however, as the Google support tech suggested I try a third part mail app so I downloaded Spark. This service has worked with no issues, but I would prefer to use the stock Mail app in macOS.

I have also tried setting up a forward through the Google portal so that Google holds a copy of new incoming mail but also forwards a copy to my iCloud email address. Using this method, new emails immediately come through in the macOS Mail app on my iCloud email, but get hung up on the Google email. Seems like macOS Mail is not handling the Google email correctly.

Since discovering all of this, I've been instructed by Apple support to wipe my entire machine which I have done twice. The issue still persists. I've taken it to the Apple Store and had them wipe it, do a fresh install, they even replaced the logic board, and still the issue persists. I've now purchased a new 5K iMac an am still experiencing the issue.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this and/or any tips on how to resolve it?

Other things to note: I don't have these issues on my iPad or iPhone, just on my macOS devices. I also have run Activity Monitor and have noticed Spotlight taking up a large amount of CPU usage (up to 200-300%).

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Fetch New Data. If Push is on, then you may want to turn it off. Then check the Fetch setting for each individual mail account. Then check the Fetch setting. If it's Automatically, choose something else.

Apple is not responsible for how much mail you receive. Whether you Push or Fetch Manually, at some point you're going to be bringing those messages in.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I don't have experience of this but searching shows people have had this problem with Gmail and Macmail for many years.
There is one solution offered from 2015 here, which might help.

Reactions: z504

z504

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
I don't have experience of this but searching shows people have had this problem with Gmail and Macmail for many years.
There is one solution offered from 2015 here, which might help.
This is the only reasonable solution I have found for Big Sur. The Mail app settings to not download onto the hard drive in prior releases either don't exist in Big Sur or they may have been moved and I can't find them. Thanks for the link!!! Limiting IMAP to 1,000 e-mails is wayyyyy better than 100,000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.