Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

immobilus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Hi All:

I'm running macOS, and it's the latest public build. This is not a new problem, and I have experienced it since Yosemite. No upgrades have resolved it and no forum searches have revealed similar problems.

I find that constantly, the built-in mail app will say, "Downloading X of X," e.g. "Downloading 5 of 9." But there is no new mail it's downloading. At the same time, obviously at different points, it will say "Sending...," some odd number of MBs of mail, but there's nothing in my outbox and I have sent no mail.

Does anyone know what this could be related to? I'm more concerned about the sending thing. Sending what to whom? I thought maybe it was sending the mail received to the iCloud server, but then, that does not make sense because the mail received comes from the iCloud server and not the other way around. If I close the mail app and then reopen, it is no longer sending or downloading. But at some point in the day, not starts again.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 1.03.43 PM.png

Thoughts?

An example is attached. This is a bad example because it says it's only downloading one new message. Usually it's downloading large numbers of supposed "new messages," when I have no new messages. Again, the fact that my mail app is constantly sending unknown numbers of emails that concerns me the most.
[doublepost=1475951139][/doublepost]Right now it's downloading 2 of 29 messages, but i don't have any new mail coming in.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 1.24.03 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.