Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Anybody on the latest Monterey beta (12.1, can't find a topic about the beta) lost the Monterey screensaver after changing to a different one?
This?

Reactions: MLVC

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 02.21.12.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 02.21.12.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 82

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Can anyone set a desktop screen other than the ugly pink mountain and get it to remain on the desktop for the following computer start? I can't, I've tried, I go set an image that as far as I know should persist through restarts. I've also set it to cycle between 4 images, thinking that might help. But every day for every new start, I'm looking at the ugly pink mountain. Any suggestions?
Here is a post in the forum about it.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Can anyone set a desktop screen other than the ugly pink mountain and get it to remain on the desktop for the following computer start? I can't, I've tried, I go set an image that as far as I know should persist through restarts. I've also set it to cycle between 4 images, thinking that might help. But every day for every new start, I'm looking at the ugly pink mountain. Any suggestions?
Here is a post in the forum about it.
See my post here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...k-a-user-to-log-in-with.2324346/post-30641712

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But I am talking about the desktop, not the “pick a user to log in with” screen, and not the locked screen. I am setting the desktop with an image, and the next time I start my MBP in Monterey, I see the ugly pink mountain to choose a user to log in with (accepted), then I arrive at the desktop, where I have previously set a desktop picture, yet I am always greeted by the ugly pink mountain, until I go back to desktop settings and set it again, as in every day.

This is not how the desktop picture worked in previous MacOSs and I think this is a bug. The setting and choice for the desktop image should be persistent from start to start and it is not.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
But I am talking about the desktop, not the “pick a user to log in with” screen, and not the locked screen. I am setting the desktop with an image, and the next time I start my MBP in Monterey, I see the ugly pink mountain to choose a user to log in with (accepted), then I arrive at the desktop, where I have previously set a desktop picture, yet I am always greeted by the ugly pink mountain, until I go back to desktop settings and set it again, as in every day.

This is not how the desktop picture worked in previous MacOSs and I think this is a bug. The setting and choice for the desktop image should be persistent from start to start and it is not.
Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, what you’re describing sounds like a bug that shouldn’t be happening. Not sure of the location of your Desktop Background file, but I’m using a folder in my Photos Library I’ve dedicated to Desktop Wallpaper, and I have it set to cycle thru those At random. I have seen a couple times where that specific folder doesn’t load or loads slowly in the folder picker within the System Preferences / Desktop & Screensaver / Desktop section. But eventually it does load.

Reactions: Huntn

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Almost daily I’m finding all/any applications I have open become non-responsive. Today, none of my Network Adapters show up! Out of nowhere.. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.52.37 AM.jpeg

Last edited:

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I don't think it's a bug, but it's definitely worth mentioning. After switching from Mac OS Sierra to Monterey, I have much less battery life. On the Sierra, the battery life was about 13 hours after moving to Monterey, the endurance is about half something around 7 hours.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I've been seeing every other day or so that com.apple.WebKit.Networking has stopped working. That seems bad.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I see this often, too:
com.apple.amp.devicesui Quit Unexpectedly.

This, along with the 'com.apple.WebKit.Networking' crashing on me pretty much ensures that I won't be able to reliably sync my iPhone or iPad with my Mac. Wonderful.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Anyone else have Finder windows intermittently close when clicking on an item and choosing "Move to Trash" via the shortcut menu? It happens maybe one in ten times for me.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Anyone else have Finder windows intermittently close when clicking on an item and choosing "Move to Trash" via the shortcut menu? It happens maybe one in ten times for me.
Yes, sometimes. I also see some of my mounted external SUB drive desktop icons briefly change to a folder icon and back to it's normal icon. Sometimes no icons and I have to force quit Finder or even reboot.12.0.1 has been a mess.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
I am just setting up my new mac mini, and this morning I found my bluetooth audio (Audio Engine) is not working. But I'm typing on my magic keyboard? It must be receiving, but not transmitting.

Yesterday I migrated from data a backup, and then I was prompted to update the OS to run one of my apps. After the update network connections and thunderbolt did not work. But wifi did work. So I re-did the migration over wifi.

This morning the migration is complete and network is working. But now bluetooth does not work. I tried "sudo pkill bluetoothd" in terminal, but the issue is not corrected.

I know what you're thinking, it's probably my bluetooth receiver? But I tested with my 16" macbook, and on that machine I can play music with no issue.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm half tempted to re-migrate, but I'm worried that something completely unrelated will turn up broken....

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I am just setting up my new mac mini, and this morning I found my bluetooth audio (Audio Engine) is not working. But I'm typing on my magic keyboard? It must be receiving, but not transmitting.

Yesterday I migrated from data a backup, and then I was prompted to update the OS to run one of my apps. After the update network connections and thunderbolt did not work. But wifi did work. So I re-did the migration over wifi.

This morning the migration is complete and network is working. But now bluetooth does not work. I tried "sudo pkill bluetoothd" in terminal, but the issue is not corrected.

I know what you're thinking, it's probably my bluetooth receiver? But I tested with my 16" macbook, and on that machine I can play music with no issue.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm half tempted to re-migrate, but I'm worried that something completely unrelated will turn up broken....
I wouldn’t strain yourself too hard trying to fix this. File Feedback with Apple and let them know. I’ve had similar BlueTooth issues where my Magic Keyboard & Trackpad fail to connect, and sometimes just reconnecting with a Lightning Cable fixed it and sometimes BlueTooth is off and doesn’t enable when selected. And when that happens I also notice I’ve got zero interfaces listed under Network Settings. I also see crash reports saying com.apple.WebKit.Networking has stopped working. I’m holding off until macOS 12.1 is released so I can reinstall over itself.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
I wouldn’t strain yourself too hard trying to fix this. File Feedback with Apple and let them know. I’ve had similar BlueTooth issues where my Magic Keyboard & Trackpad fail to connect, and sometimes just reconnecting with a Lightning Cable fixed it and sometimes BlueTooth is off and doesn’t enable when selected. And when that happens I also notice I’ve got zero interfaces listed under Network Settings. I also see crash reports saying com.apple.WebKit.Networking has stopped working. I’m holding off until macOS 12.1 is released so I can reinstall over itself.

Well...I guess it isn't broken. It's actually a long overdue feature.

I just discovered that Monterey is able to select from a list of audio devices. It even shows my TV, even though I have never paired my computer to it.

So it doesn't automatically switch like my previous machines. I had to click on the volume icon, which now gives me a list of audio devices. I can select which one I want to use. Apparently being able to switch between audio devices is now a thing.

To be fair, this is how it should have been the last 10 years. But it just so happens that I have a 15" 2013 mbpr who's only failing is that it can't play any audio through internal speakers due to undefeatable automatic audio switching....the headphone jack always thinks there is an optical plug in it, so the machine will not play audio through the internal speakers. It's 100% hardware, and the only fix is to replace the entire logic board. Nobody will touch it. Louis Rossman even turned me down when I inquired about a rapair. (It's only the late 2013 and early 2014 models that are unfixable....late 2014 model went to a replaceable headphone jack...)

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I also see some of my mounted external SUB drive desktop icons briefly change to a folder icon and back to it's (sic) normal icon.

@gank41 I have this exact behavior with Monterey v12.2

The hardware is Drobo, mounted as a Time Machine backup volume.

Tom

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
@gank41 I have this exact behavior with Monterey v12.2

The hardware is Drobo, mounted as a Time Machine backup volume.

Tom
I've got a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro that I purchased at the same time I purchased my 2020 M1 MBP (Nov?), and it's been Very Reliable while I was on Big Sur, but not so much since going to Monterey. It definitely seems like a software issue, though, at least from what I can gather in various forums. Big Sur good .... Upgrade to Monterey= "problems".

I think I'm going to see up my money for that new CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 4 that was just announced. I generally keep between 4-6 USB drives connected while docked most of the time I'm using it at home in my office. It's basically my home media server and my music recording machine on the go. And it's great that it all connects with one cable when I'm at home. This new CalDigit dock seems like it'd better suit me, though.

I understand that it's a laptop, but I mean.. I shouldn't have an issue with it in clamshell mode. Seems to be some kind of low power thing (I've checked, all looks fine). I've noticed the Photos app not fully uploading any added photos until I'm actually using the app. There's been times where I've added a photo while the app was in Full Screen mode, and then just swiped back to my main desktop. Later I noticed that said photo wasn't on either my iPad or iPhone, and when I went back to the Photos App on my MBP, boom. it finished uploading and then almost immediately showed up on both my iPhone & iPad d at the same time. I'm sure that issue could be occurring with other apps in use too, like maybe even Finder or even something like WebKit or Networking Services.. Could be anything & everything that's just becoming non responsive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.