Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
I do not understand see me the card but does not see me ssd .. as possible!

Boot Rom Version: MP51.0089.B00

Last edited:

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
Hello guys,
I need help, bought Sedna PCI Express SATA III card and mounted crucial ssd mx 1tb which I removed from mac pro bay # 1, but can't see boot disk!
When I turn on part in recovey, I look for the boot disk and it doesn't see ssd .. bho this thing is a bit strange ..
I have tried both in pcie 1 and in pcie 2, in pcie 4 there is the gpu
There is no driver for mac only windows on the disk connected to the card

Ideas?

Thank you very much

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Is the ssd APFS format?
Guessing here, maybe the issue.
I am not sure how pcie ssd's handle APFS.

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA

You cannot boot Windows from a PCIe slot. Bootcamp installations must be connected to one of the internal SATA II connectors (BAYS 1-4).

An SSD mounted on the Sedna PCI Express SATA III HBA should boot macOS volumes without complaint

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
You cannot boot Windows from a PCIe slot. Bootcamp installations must be connected to one of the internal SATA II connectors (BAYS 1-4).

An SSD mounted on the Sedna PCI Express SATA III HBA should boot macOS volumes without complaint
I have a SEDNA as well and it works fine with booting macOS so not sure why he's having issues.
Hello guys,
I need help, bought Sedna PCI Express SATA III card and mounted crucial ssd mx 1tb which I removed from mac pro bay # 1, but can't see boot disk!
When I turn on part in recovey, I look for the boot disk and it doesn't see ssd .. bho this thing is a bit strange ..
I have tried both in pcie 1 and in pcie 2, in pcie 4 there is the gpu

Ideas?

Thank you very much
Maybe try moving the SSD back to the internal bays and see if it'll boot from there?

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
ssd crucial mx 500 with high sierra, it works on the mac in one of the 4 standard sleds.
but if I attach it to the pcie sedna and insert it in one of the pcie 2 - 3 - 4 (in the 1 there is the gpu) ... nothing to do I do not start osx in normal mode but in recovey mode, where then I went to view in disk utility does not see me ssd .... even if I did not understand how to start in recovery mode and not see ssd!
in theory if it starts immediately with recovery (which installed on ssd) I should also see ssd ..
I made a turn of words .. I hope I was able to explain

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
I then tried to put the ssd with osx back in my usual slot and keep the sedna card inserted in the pcie 2 with another virgin ssd mounted ... in info osx I see the card but not ssd .. not even in the desktop screen as an external drive or internal ...

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
I then tried to put the ssd with osx back in my usual slot and keep the sedna card inserted in the pcie 2 with another virgin ssd mounted ... in info osx I see the card but not ssd .. not even in the desktop screen as an external drive or internal ...
You might have a bad card if another SSD can't be detected either.

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
i saw that the sedna board has a led, but i didn't see it light up when i was running the mac

i should try with a mechanical hd
I was almost convinced that it is due to the old mac signatureware

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
So, I'm considering getting a Sonnet Fusion Dual PCIE card (Https://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion-dual-ssd-raid/overview.html) so that i can shuck my currently external 2.5 inchers , and then use the USB C port on the Sonnet with a USB C dock or hub to get more USB 3.0 ports.

is this doable or is the USB C port not going to play nice with that kind of set up? Don't matter about speed as I'm sure it'll be limited after with 2 internal drives and attaching more USB devices to it, just need to know if it'll work.

Cheers.

crypto7

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
Sorry to step on this thread but I have a slightly related question I cannot find the answer to: What is the maximum length of a PCIe card which can fit in the 2019 Mac Pro?
12.5" (317.5 mm)?

I can't find any *internal* MacPro7,1 dimensions to save my life...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Why not just measure it?
AFAIK it should take any pcie card, as it's a full size tower.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
According to barefeats.com, the longest PCIe card that will fit in a 2019 Mac Pro is 12.2". That was the reason given for choosing a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6900 XT video card for testing.

Last edited:

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
Added the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB839SP-B, which is performing beautifully in my 7,1.
Not only is it fairly cheap, it also allows the drive to be removed without opening up the Mac Pro.
No driver required since it's using an ASM1062.
Getting 420MB/s read/write on a Samsung 860 QVO that probably hasn't been trimmed for a while, so in line with expectations for that drive.
Oh, and it's also pretty (black PCI brackets rule). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.