Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Hope the fix works for you. Those updates will surely sap your productivity… I’m not so trusting of Apple, when it comes to my main production machine.

When it comes to new features and new OS releases, I adopt the motto: “Do NOT be curious! You are NOT interested in this!” Anything that might be disruptive to a creative workflow should be handled with extreme caution, I think.

This includes hanging out on MacRumors, haha… time to call it a day!
Oh absolutely. I switched from a maxed out m1 ultra studio to a maxed out m3 max laptop. Being able to bring my laptop and work at a coffee shop finally is very much welcomed. 128gb in a laptop is game changing for my workflow. I just forgot to turn off automatic updates with the new system.

FYI, the update released today fixed my issues.

Reactions: jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Oh absolutely. I switched from a maxed out m1 ultra studio to a maxed out m3 max laptop. Being able to bring my laptop and work at a coffee shop finally is very much welcomed. 128gb in a laptop is game changing for my workflow. I just forgot to turn off automatic updates with the new system.

FYI, the update released today fixed my issues.
128 GB RAM? Wow... you've really maxed it out, and I imagine that cost a pretty penny/pence... I'm running Logic on a MacBook Air M2 with 24 GB, which seems to be enough for my needs for now (my project typically don't exceed 200 tracks, although I do make fair amount of use of plugins), and it is running without a hiccup. With 128 GB, I imagine the sky's the limit...

Did you have to do something special to make Logic run under Rosetta? Wonder why that was necessary? Logic is an Apple product and should run natively, I thought. The plugins you're running are a different story, though...

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
128 GB RAM? Wow... you've really maxed it out, and I imagine that cost a pretty penny/pence... I'm running Logic on a MacBook Air M2 with 24 GB, which seems to be enough for my needs for now (my project typically don't exceed 200 tracks, although I do make fair amount of use of plugins), and it is running without a hiccup. With 128 GB, I imagine the sky's the limit...

Did you have to do something special to make Logic run under Rosetta? Wonder why that was necessary? Logic is an Apple product and should run natively, I thought. The plugins you're running are a different story, though...
Yeah, I actually had a 28 core xeon Mac Pro tower with 384gb of ram before this. Honestly, 128 isn't quite enough headroom for my projects. The reason is my Sample libraries. My violin section alone used 45gb of ram, then you add Violas, Cellos, Basses, Brass, Winds, Choir, Percussion and all my busses. This absolutely brings most computers to their knees, but I get realistic sounding orchestra without a real orchestra. haha

the issue with this update is it killed ilok. I'm in well over $100k in software, and they use ilok to protect from piracy. The update broke most of the universal audio effects.

Here is some old orchestral work I did:

Take care!

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Yeah, I actually had a 28 core xeon Mac Pro tower with 384gb of ram before this. Honestly, 128 isn't quite enough headroom for my projects. The reason is my Sample libraries. My violin section alone used 45gb of ram, then you add Violas, Cellos, Basses, Brass, Winds, Choir, Percussion and all my busses. This absolutely brings most computers to their knees, but I get realistic sounding orchestra without a real orchestra. haha

the issue with this update is it killed ilok. I'm in well over $100k in software, and they use ilok to protect from piracy. The update broke most of the universal audio effects.

Here is some old orchestral work I did:

Take care!
384 GB RAM... I've never even heard of such a configuration! Indeed, I can see how you'd need so much RAM if you're using orchestral libraries. I can also see how problems with iLok could spell instant trouble.

Was all of the work on that particular trailer done on a Mac using sampled instruments? I understand that John Williams did the composing and scoring for that (as with the other films in the SW series), but I wonder how much of the orchestration and recording was done using sampled libraries. Perhaps the trailer was done using sampled instruments, and the film music was rerecorded with a full orchestra... or has the trend just been to go digital?

While we're sharing music, here's an example of a song I composed and performed on, all using Logic. There are some layered guitar, vocal and synth tracks, but a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 model with 64 GB RAM was certainly enough for this ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/tonalvibrancy%2Fwant-that-life

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
384 GB RAM... I've never even heard of such a configuration! Indeed, I can see how you'd need so much RAM if you're using orchestral libraries. I can also see how problems with iLok could spell instant trouble.

Was all of the work on that particular trailer done on a Mac using sampled instruments? I understand that John Williams did the composing and scoring for that (as with the other films in the SW series), but I wonder how much of the orchestration and recording was done using sampled libraries. Perhaps the trailer was done using sampled instruments, and the film music was rerecorded with a full orchestra... or has the trend just been to go digital?

While we're sharing music, here's an example of a song I composed and performed on, all using Logic. There are some layered guitar, vocal and synth tracks, but a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 model with 64 GB RAM was certainly enough for this ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/tonalvibrancy%2Fwant-that-life
Beautiful work man! :)

John Williams didn't score that btw, I did. I just honored his themes and melodies. Yes, that was 100% sampled instruments, mostly from spitfire audio.

Reactions: MacFarmer and jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Beautiful work man! :)

John Williams didn't score that btw, I did. I just honored his themes and melodies. Yes, that was 100% sampled instruments, mostly from spitfire audio.
Thanks for the comment about the music—I’m glad you liked it!

Scoring for film sounds like a very demanding job, with so many tracks and instrumentation going on and considerations that need to be made to the action in the scenes, the intent of the composer and so forth. I imagine it’s also extremely demanding time-wise, with difficult deadlines and the need to work within those to push out the musical product. It’s amazing that all of that can now be done on a Mac laptop with plugins, although I’m sure that you need to know about how the original instruments work, their range and limitations and so on to properly emulate them. That’s some serious work there—kudos to you.

While I went to music school back in the day, I never really took the time to learn about orchestration properly, at least in terms of classical orchestral instruments. It always seemed to be a whole other world from “popular” music songwriting. For a long time, the sound of sampled orchestral instruments never really did their real-life counterparts justice… but with some knowledge of orchestration, I imagine that they can sound pretty convincing, like the work you did.

I’d be interested in hearing any other of your more recent work as well!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.