Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
I really don’t understand the drama.
The cloud for me is nothing but a convenient way to synchronise my data between devices and access it from mobile devices from anywhere.

The real data repository is my local storage and the numerous backups (2x Time Machine disks and 2x CCC disks, in rotation, on and off site)

If the cloud goes bang, I just upload my data again.
Other people may have other uses for icloud, right?

E.g. you are on one of all those macbooks with base configuration. They have very limited local storage and the "optimise Mac storage" function helps you keep the files you need right now local and the rest in the cloud.

Of course you can restore from backup, but why should you have to take that step, then you use a core function of icloud exactly the way it was designed to?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yeah that’s why I have exported all my passwords into a CSV file stored on an encrypted external disc 👍
Ok I use Keychain and sync my passwords between my iMac and iPhone, so how do you do that? My old iMac is still on Monterey though my 15 PM is up to date but would like a backup of my backup.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Ok I use Keychain and sync my passwords between my iMac and iPhone, so how do you do that? My old iMac is still on Monterey though my 15 PM is up to date but would like a backup of my backup.

In Ventura, it’s an option in System Settings > Passwords. Top right of the pane “…” Export All Passwords.

But be advised the csv file it creates is not secure in any shape or form, so I would not leave it lying around. As stated, I keep mine on an APFS encrypted USB stick. Alongside exported contacts and Safari bookmarks (don’t have iCloud enabled for anything Safari related).

Reactions: decafjava

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

I am not sure I understand you. Just keep a Time Machine backup (or another, if you already have one).
Among everything else, TM will back up your passwords as well as any other system setting.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I am not sure I understand you. Just keep a Time Machine backup (or another, if you already have one).
Among everything else, TM will back up your passwords as well as any other system setting.
Well I do that regularly anyway and am still on Monterey on my old system for now, so maybe worrying for nothing?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Well I do that regularly anyway and am still on Monterey on my old system for now, so maybe worrying for nothing?

TM backs up your keychain.

By the way, I am on 14.4 and I am experiencing zero issues so far 🤞.
The important thing is to keep regular backups on more that one medium, preferably located in more than one location.

Bad stuff happens, to anyone, with any hardware, any version of any OS, or any cloud service.
Backups are the only way to protect yourself from it.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023

Go do some reading. This might not be the case. You can't necessarily restore a keychain from one Mac onto another one.

Edit: also things like Notes / Reminders which use CvRDTs for storage which are completely opaque. To do a proper backup you would need to:

1. Export all data from keychain to CSV (this is trivial but must be done regularly)
2. Ensure that any credentials are useable without an apple account (use a custom domain always!)
3. Export all notes to PDFs
4. Export all reminders somehow (I haven't worked out how to do this).
5. etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Go do some reading. This might not be the case. You can't necessarily restore a keychain from one Mac onto another one.
Indeed, I can verify that you may not be able to simply restore a keychain from one Mac to another. I recently tried to migrate a keychain from an old MacBook plastic white model running High Sierra, to a new MacBook Air M1 running Ventura. The keychain did not port over via Time Machine restore, and I could only export individual keychain entries from High Sierra. Of course, as @Jim Lahey mentioned it is possible now with newer macOS versions to export the keychain, but based on my experience I really don't see that this is a reliable solution for migrating that data from one machine to another. Maybe I'm just missing key bit of knowledge...

Reactions: AlmightyKang

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Indeed, I can verify that you may not be able to simply restore a keychain from one Mac to another. I recently tried to migrate a keychain from an old MacBook plastic white model running High Sierra, to a new MacBook Air M1 running Ventura. The keychain did not port over via Time Machine restore, and I could only export individual keychain entries from High Sierra. Of course, as @Jim Lahey mentioned it is possible now with newer macOS versions to export the keychain, but based on my experience I really don't see that this is a reliable solution for migrating that data from one machine to another. Maybe I'm just missing key bit of knowledge...

I don't think you're missing anything. I still use keychain myself but the process is this:

1. Open up MacPass (keepass version for mac)
2. Generate credential in there
3. Add it to keychain manually.

I always have a kdbx file then which is platform and machine portable for all credentials.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It's really starting to show that they spent the last five+ years working on Vision Pro and the car and not focusing on their current products. Really hoping they have already re-focused and we'll start seeing results soon.
This is what I thought about Apple for a while now. iPhones suck now but they finally fixed the Mac hardware with Apple Silicon. They can’t seem to focus on more than one thing.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Of course, as @Jim Lahey mentioned it is possible now with newer macOS versions to export the keychain, but based on my experience I really don't see that this is a reliable solution for migrating that data from one machine to another.

Definitely not. I regard my keychain csv backup as an absolute last ditch, the ship has already gone down disaster recovery. Something I could view outside of any particular environment and read/type into another system longhand.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

Edit: also things like Notes / Reminders which use CvRDTs for storage which are completely opaque. To do a proper backup you would need to:

1. Export all data from keychain to CSV (this is trivial but must be done regularly)
2. Ensure that any credentials are useable without an apple account (use a custom domain always!)
3. Export all notes to PDFs
4. Export all reminders somehow (I haven't worked out how to do this).
5. etc etc.

Thanks for the suggestion about the reading. I always enjoy some condescension.

I seem to be able to find only articles of people that have done it successfully.
Save me some time please. Can you show me something to read about the inability to restore keychain as part of a full restore to another Mac with the same OS version?

As for Notes and Reminders... well we were not talking about that, were we?
However, still, in the same spirit of me doing some reading, can you recommend something to read about the inability to restore notes and reminders as part of a full restore to another Mac with the same OS version?

Clearly if there is a real and common issue about this, I would want to change my ways.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Thanks for the suggestion about the reading. I always enjoy some condescension.

I seem to be able to find only articles of people that have done it successfully.
Save me some time please. Can you show me something to read about the inability to restore keychain as part of a full restore to another Mac with the same OS version?

As for Notes and Reminders... well we were not talking about that, were we?
However, still, in the same spirit of me doing some reading, can you recommend something to read about the inability to restore notes and reminders as part of a full restore to another Mac with the same OS version?

Clearly if there is a real and common issue about this, I would want to change my ways.

The point about Notes/Reminders is more that we have opaque abstractions within the platform which are more complicated than a file and are semantically tied to internal data structures which are not easy to query.

Case in point the Reminders are stored in ~/Library/Group\ Containers/group.com.apple.reminders ... Throw a terminal open as root...

Kangs-MBP:group.com.apple.reminders root# pwd /Users/kang/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.reminders Kangs-MBP:group.com.apple.reminders root# whoami root Kangs-MBP:group.com.apple.reminders root# ls ls: .: Operation not permitted

If we kill SIP, that gets us to a SQLite database which contains CvRDT structure as per Notes.app. The schema is not documented nor the serialized types which are in it. Thus when it comes to restoring it, if it does not work, which isn't guaranteed if the serialization format changes, or items are UUID tied to other iCloud accounts, then things will get a little interesting.

The other option which is "The Unix way" is probably one text file per note for example. They are simple files which are not an opaque abstraction and should Apple decided to completely kill your universe one day, are portable.

Reactions: bice

GrenadeOconnor

Suspended
Mar 11, 2024
Yeah this update broke a 200 piece orchestral project in logic. All of my Universal audio plugins went haywire. #sh*tshow
Are you using any plugins by EastWest Sounds? I'm still on 14.2.1 because I'm working on an album and I'm afraid of breaking my plugins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.