Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Meanwhile the peasants are increasingly revoulting.

Everyone I know in RL is turning their nose up at Apple. The reality distortion field is running on backup power. They currently don't sell one single product that I could happily buy, or have one single version of any software that I would willingly install without coercion. Astonishing achievement.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Everyone I know in RL is turning their nose up at Apple. The reality distortion field is running on backup power. They currently don't sell one single product that I could happily buy, or have one single version of any software that I would willingly install without coercion. Astonishing achievement.
That's interesting. Everyone I know in RL couldn't care less about any of these issues!

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Sadly yes. I bought my Mac Mini M1 last year only because of sickness and I couldn't easily get my old Mac Pro into my cramped working space at home, rather than the separate home-office building I have. It's a long-term thing. Else the 2011 Mac Pro, apart from making my room warmer, and a bit noisier, would still meet my needs.

My Macbook Air is from 2013-2014. No need to upgrade [not travelling]. Changed my iPhone in the spring ONLY because damn iWatch demanded it [bought that used, bought a reconditioned SE2 as I rarely need more than a telephone if out and occasional browsing/mail if in a waiting room. For big stuff, as visually impaired, I have a 12.9" iPad Pro from 2020. So far no desire to upgrade that, and that is the only thing I could consider today changing if it broke as I do use that for several hours a day when not at the main computer.

I have zero interest in the keynotes and rumours and gosh this is possibly coming. I used to. I used to follow the keynotes and there was a buzz. Now it's a snooze. Yet other areas of tech keep me alert so it is more "Apple, suck" than anything else. I mostly keep track here for stuff like this thread, sh-t that breaks, and general warnings.

I get you can't have a "big bang" every year / release and tech has often been gradual improvement. But still, something significant has changed to kick my Apple interest into the grass over the past years. The money is there if something actually valuable to me came out. Even a speculative play from the toy budget, I am fortunate to say, but it is either meh or oh-no-US-only-again and no attempt to even take it outside of the US and IF it actually does make it outside it is often sooooo delayed I've lost interest much of the time].

Oh well... shareholders are happy for now.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
That's interesting. Everyone I know in RL couldn't care less about any of these issues!
Until something goes bang on their system, and if they are not tech minded they may think they've screwed up... Seen that many times.

So how many people will now think they've deleted the damn file or two they search for, rather than Apple doing it on their behalf, without being asked...?

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Good thing I'm still on 14.3.1! How can an update break so many things?
Never thought I’d see the day where Apple and Microsoft switch places…Microsoft being the one with solid updates and Apple being dogged relentlessly with extremely poor updates. I remember when Apple used to brag about their OS being built on top of Unix and it being stable…survey says, that was a lie! 😂

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

Hard to pin down a specific issue with all the "normies" I know
I will say that their enthusiasm for Apple stuff has waned a lot over the years.

We've fallen off a long long ways from the "magic" and appeal that was there in the late 2000's when a lot of them were first joining up with their first iPhones and/or Macs (iMacs/iBooks/MBPs, etc) and getting deeper in the ecosystem

I hear a lot about niggling issues with Apple TVs, dictation accuracy going in the tank, Siri continuing to be hot garbage people avoid using, "my Homepod stopped working right after just 3 years", the cost/value of Apple stuff just not being there, folks wondering why they got a new iPhone as it seems functionally basically the same as the 2-3 year old one it replaced, etc

That's all stuff I hear more and more from my normal friends who don't follow this stuff closely

They ask me "what's going on" ... and I'm like... "Tim is Cooking, basically"

We are in middle to late stage "bean-counterism"

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Never thought I’d see the day where Apple and Microsoft switch places…Microsoft being the one with solid updates and Apple being dogged relentlessly with extremely poor updates. I remember when Apple used to brag about their OS being built on top of Unix and it being stable…survey says, that was a lie! 😂
And ****** relations to developers, consumer unfriendly policies, behind behind the curve on so many things....

As the saying goes, "life is a circle"

Reactions: jchap

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
And you worry about a few emojis
If you read my post, you'd see I was commenting on how many people in these threads waste our space and time distracting from the actual issue to bring up comments about emojis. I wasn't complaining about emojis myself. Thanks for playing.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
MacOS has file versioning?
Yeah, it's pretty great in apps that support it well. If you open TextEdit, save a new document then type a paragraph -- hit save. Type another paragraph, hit save again. Do that a few times and then go File > Revert To > Browse All Versions... you'll get a Time Machine-like display showing the file at each of those points where you hit save.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Exactly. How this fool still has not yet been fired is beyond me. Same goes for bean counting Timmy
It's weird how Apple hasn't fired the guy presiding over Apple through a period of massive expansion where it came to utterly dominate the smartphone market, and expanded the product portfolio into many very successful lines of wearable tech devices. The big shareholders must be absolutely seething.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Another 14.4 bug? Why can't you QA your product anymore? Totally dropped the ball on this patch, Apple. Too bad. You usually put out quality items. Please address and fix quickly - still waiting on an iLOK fix that doesn't require Rosetta.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Another 14.4 bug? Why can't you QA your product anymore? Totally dropped the ball on this patch, Apple. Too bad. You usually put out quality items. Please address and fix quickly - still waiting on an iLOK fix that doesn't require Rosetta.
It’s crazy that the software on my Huawei laptop has less issues than this. I agree, they usually put out quality items but lately it’s been atrocious.

duncandb

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2023
That seems the right behavior, if I delete the local copy of a file it's not like I want 20 autosaved copies to stay on the local disk. Autosaved copies are not stored on iCloud, so at the moment that's the right behavior imho.
While it's logical to clean up versions when files are deleted by the user, that's not what is happening here. The document is being evicted temporarily to save space and still exists on the cloud. From the user's perspective this is an implementation detail and they didn't delete the file, so the versions should still exist. The proper fix is to also back up the versions to the cloud and evict it all together. So its data loss to the user, and hence actually a bug.

Reactions: bice

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
It's weird how Apple hasn't fired the guy presiding over Apple through a period of massive expansion where it came to utterly dominate the smartphone market, and expanded the product portfolio into many very successful lines of wearable tech devices. The big shareholders must be absolutely seething.
LOL! Good one!

Still, Cook could be doing an even better job if he'd make bug cleanup and interface design a priority again.

This thread got me worried for a spell. I use iCloud a lot — but then I realized — not for automatic versioning. I manually drag backup dated versions (Save As) to iCloud.

Still, concerned, I thought I better check and see if my 15” M2 MBA is on Sonoma 14.4. Whew! It's not.

It's on 14.2.1. Now, is that a problem?! Is there a way of updating to 14.3.1 rather than 14.4? I'm only seeing 14.4 as an update option.

Gosh, there was a time — a long, long time ago — when one would be excited to update to a new Mac OS. No longer. The Cook administration bears some responsibility for that, but it predates him!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And Apple furiously force people to use the latest iOS iPadOS and never allow more than 7 days of downgrade window? For what? Legally destroying people’s livelihood And suffer no consequences? What’s more important? Older version of Software that works and latest “most secure” software that cease to work?

Granted, losing previous versions might not be the end of the world for many, but there is no excuse of such issue from happening in the first place, unless Apple decides that their iCloud Drive is just mere cloud drive and nothing else. I will never trust iCloud Drive for anything again despite having multiple Apple devices.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
iCloud in general is a calamity waiting to happen. Some years ago, only foresight and a dose of serendipity prevented it from literally annihilating every single video and photo I'd ever taken. Took ages to repair the damage from locally exported files. Had I not had those as a fallback, I would have lost everything forever. Since then I've disconnected from almost everything 'cloud' except keychain passwords, and I even have those exported onto an encrypted USB stick.

'The Cloud' is someone else's computer. It cannot, and should not, ever be trusted with anything. Ever. Especially with bug-infested software on the local machine.
You haven't got a backup unless you've got three separate copies, at least one of which is physical. A cloud service is one legitimate copy.

Last edited:

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
And Apple furiously force people to use the latest iOS iPadOS and never allow more than 7 days of downgrade window? For what? Legally destroying people’s livelihood And suffer no consequences? What’s more important? Older version of Software that works and latest “most secure” software that cease to work?

Granted, losing previous versions might not be the end of the world for many, but there is no excuse of such issue from happening in the first place, unless Apple decides that their iCloud Drive is just mere cloud drive and nothing else. I will never trust iCloud Drive for anything again despite having multiple Apple devices.
For goodness sake. Everyone calm down. If a software bug can "destroy your life" then you don't know how to use computers properly.

Today's machines - Windows and Mac - are infinitely better than their predecessors. Remember Excel's 'Dr Watson', the blue screen of death, alarms that didn't go off on iPhones (under 'he who can do no wrong'), simple passwords, random crashes, etc, etc, etc....

And today's machines are cheaper in actual terms, never mind real terms, than the ones we used to buy...

We've never had it so good.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Just checked a Numbers file I have saved from the very beginning in iCloud Drive. It is about 2 years old and updated many times. All the version history was gone/missing.

How can Apple expect people to take their iCloud Drive or iWorks suite seriously? This is so unacceptable.
1. No problem on my iMac - I can see all version history.
2. If old versions are so important, you should save them separately, instead of relying on a relatively unknown and not-well-documented 'feature'.
3. If the old versions are critical to your life, you should do 2. but save them in three different places.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlumaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.