Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
The perfect symbiosis of software and hardware strikes again
It's probably wise Apple gave up the car and any car OS. Imagine the ***** that could happen if they use the same approach to software QA.

Indicators might turn on when you are driving straight, or display different colours.
The ignition would only start on a Wednesday due to a date bug.
The fuel connector needs wobbling and some ju ju said because it is tempremental
The airbag's inflation value can't be trusted due to a math error.
You are locked out due to an "unknown error" and are told to ask in the Apple support forum, where people build karma with their insta-posting of lots of things to try that inevitably are as useful as a chocolate teapot, but they are a level 1043 person so they obviously know (sic) and if you interact with a "too difficult" reply it gets lost and, well they are volunteers, so you can't demand a reply...

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 15.21.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 15.23.41.png

OK. It's time to get rid of the badge. Not pretty, but better. I want a skip update button.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
skip update
In British English a "skip" is a big container, often on the roadside, where you put your trash and building refuse during any renovations. Rather apt phrasing for some of their recent output.

GrenadeOconnor

Suspended
Mar 11, 2024
Yes, programmers don’t design emojis.
Yes, the consortium determines which new emojis get put into a production pipeline.
Yes, Apple is big and can do both software development AND emojis at the same time.

The problem is Apple clearly isn’t doing both well enough. As long as that is the case, get used to seeing this “trope” thrown out in MR whenever critical software issues are identified. While the trope is a simplistic reaction, the underlying feeling that priorities within Apple have been way off is very real. How frequently you come across the trope here in MR is probably proportional to the software issues reported by users.

If the point of this was to highlight exactly what I was implying, which is that the existence and addition of emojis have nothing to do with major software bugs and that the correlation between the two is purely reactionary and simplistic, you have done an outstanding job. I'm glad we are on the same page.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mr_Ed

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Just checked a Numbers file I have saved from the very beginning in iCloud Drive. It is about 2 years old and updated many times. All the version history was gone/missing.

How can Apple expect people to take their iCloud Drive or iWorks suite seriously? This is so unacceptable.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I had all of my iCloud Drive files corrupted a few years ago and since then I have never relied on iCloud. It's a complex system, but I often give it as a bad example.
Goodness… I have wanted to get rid of Dropbox since a couple of years, as I’m redundantly paying in online storage, but iCloud definitely feels so unreliable. These bugs are truly unacceptable, data can’t get lost period. Dropbox has been at least reliable on that front for me.

I haven’t had a serious iCloud issue yet, as I don’t use it as much (manual files that is) but with the latest Apple Music playlists started appearing in duplicates (I.e “Rock” duplicated into an empty “Rock1”). When deleting the empty ones it decided to remove the main ones on the cloud, synced to all devices, effectively clearing out all my years of playlists curation like that.

Says a lot about what’s going on their back ends

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The latest string of OS have all come bug infested. iOS 17 is full of problems and Ventura was very problematic at the beginning.

I would’ve never upgraded to Sonoma but, thanks Apple, my computer upgraded on its own (and I have auto update turned off). Since then, there have been several significant problems.

Apple really doesn’t care anymore and that is the biggest problem. So long as they’re selling billions in iPhone sales, and now it’s more about services, they just don’t care to make great products.

I highly doubt your computer auto-updated to Sonoma without _any_ participation from you. Upgrading to a major update requires your explicit approval and a password or biometrics. Only minor updates can install automatically.

Does anybody else use your computer by chance?

Reactions: jchap

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Versioning is another “feature” Apple forced on users. Got burned once when TurboTax adopted this feature, had no idea what “version” I had to go back to restore the file before I started doing what ifs.

• Disagree
Reactions: xmach and AAPLGeek

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The latest string of OS have all come bug infested. iOS 17 is full of problems and Ventura was very problematic at the beginning.

I would’ve never upgraded to Sonoma but, thanks Apple, my computer upgraded on its own (and I have auto update turned off). Since then, there have been several significant problems.

Apple really doesn’t care anymore and that is the biggest problem. So long as they’re selling billions in iPhone sales, and now it’s more about services, they just don’t care to make great products.
More than bugs, this time it sounds like sabotage.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
If the point of this was to highlight exactly what I was implying, which is that the existence and addition of emojis have nothing to do with major software bugs and that the correlation between the two is purely reactionary and simplistic, you have done an outstanding job. I'm we are on the same page.
Sure, completely ignore the actual point that you would not be seeing complaints about emojis if Apple did not suck at software these days. Whatever makes you happy.

• Disagree
Reactions: GrenadeOconnor

arjeton

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024

Apple's latest macOS Sonoma 14.4 software update appears to be guilty of another bug, this time affecting saved versions in iCloud Drive.

iCloud-Bug-Feature-Green.jpg

Versions are normally created automatically when users save files using apps that work with the version system in macOS. (To check if your Mac is using the past versions system, look for a "Revert To" option in the app's File menu.)

According to The Eclectic Light Company's Howard Oakley, users running macOS 14.4 that have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled should be aware that they are at risk of losing all previously saved versions of a file if they opt to remove it from iCloud Drive local storage.
Oakley said his own tests confirmed that this behavior does not happen in macOS Sonoma 14.3 or macOS Ventura, so it is exclusive to macOS 14.4. For users who have already updated, he suggests either not saving files to iCloud Drive at all, or turning off Optimize Mac Storage.

To perform the latter in System Settings, click your Apple ID, select iCloud, and then toggle off the switch next to "Optimize Mac Storage." You may need to perform this action twice – reports suggest it can turn back on by itself. For a more exhaustive account of the problem, see Oakley's subsequent post.

There are several bugs reported in macOS 14.4, and we have recorded some of the most prominent issues in a dedicated article that we have updated since this story was published. Have you been affected by the latest bug? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: macOS Sonoma 14.4 Bug 'Destroys Saved Versions in iCloud Drive'

My camera stopped working after updating macOS to Sonoma 14.4 (23E214), this is so frustrating, I just bought the macbook pro, and imagine after the first week of use and update I have to send it to a repair service.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Would love if there was a plugin for MR that made all back-and-forth posts about emojis invisible when the topic has nothing to do with emojis.

More than half a page of the first four pages of this thread is devoted to people bickering about the emojis trope. What a waste.
It already feels that certain subjects get weeded out by the moderators, especially if they vaguely criticise things like story selection [for what one may consider tenuous or hardly a Mac rumour] or some of the, err, "commercial collaborations". More rules than the IRS ... And you worry about a few emojis. Perhaps the scroll thingy on your Magic Mouse has stopped working... it's a wonderful feature to just scroll on by, and often faster than making a new post comment to complain about something YOU don't want to see. :) Funny old world... toot toot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.