Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
And kind of funny after reading Gruber's report card.

I'm begging anyone who will listen

Stop ingesting Gruber's unresearched, incomplete, mostly just Apple PR spin, total nonsense

What a life -- I'll give him credit there
Made a whole career out of pontificating "about Apple" from his home office

Well done sir -- hat tip to you
images

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
View attachment 2360692 View attachment 2360694

OK. It's time to get rid of the badge. Not pretty, but better. I want a skip update button.

If not on Sonoma, look up "SonomaBlocker"

Reactions: JohannesO

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Just checked a Numbers file I have saved from the very beginning in iCloud Drive. It is about 2 years old and updated many times. All the version history was gone/missing.

How can Apple expect people to take their iCloud Drive or iWorks suite seriously? This is so unacceptable.
Odd! I have a Numbers file that I've saved for over 10 years and still work on it for business purposes, and its version history is still available to me.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That seems the right behavior, if I delete the local copy of a file it's not like I want 20 autosaved copies to stay on the local disk. Autosaved copies are not stored on iCloud, so at the moment that's the right behavior imho.

This strikes me as a bug 🐞

Choosing to delete the local copy of a cloud-synced file should not destroy the version history in the Cloud, too.

Is that the correct interpretation?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why would you want previous autosaved versions of a file to remain on your Mac after you've deleted the file? This doesn't seem like that big a deal compared to the other macOS 14.4 issues.

Cloud-synced files can remain locally or not. This seems like a bug to me.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I highly doubt your computer auto-updated to Sonoma without _any_ participation from you. Upgrading to a major update requires your explicit approval and a password or biometrics. Only minor updates can install automatically.

Does anybody else use your computer by chance?

It's...well...another bug.

1. This is my primary work computer with one one user (me) and a unique password different from shared machines.

2. I was using the computer and performed a standard maintenance restart. I knew there was an issue when the machine took several minutes to boot. I checked and was very unhappy to find about the upgrade. Several of my specialized drivers for camera files stopped working. It was misery.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I've used Apple's services for over 20 years and never lost a file, email or password. I even have Safari bookmarks from back then. Everything syncs when I get a new Mac.
Good for you, but it's not my experience.
I remember MobileMe, that costed $99,99 per year. The service was so bad, that Apple agreed on making it free for all subscribers for the duration of 2 years. By the end of which MobileMe became free for all.
What a joke...

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
It's...well...another bug.

1. This is my primary work computer with one one user (me) and a unique password different from shared machines.

2. I was using the computer and performed a standard maintenance restart. I knew there was an issue when the machine took several minutes to boot. I checked and was very unhappy to find about the upgrade. Several of my specialized drivers for camera files stopped working. It was misery.

Can you go back down ... and then use SonomaBlocker?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
For everyone saying why it should save version history if you delete a file--my understanding is that this will delete version history if you simply right-click and select "remove download". That's not the same thing at all.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I had all of my iCloud Drive files corrupted a few years ago and since then I have never relied on iCloud. It's a complex system, but I often give it as a bad example.
This sucks, however the chances of ALL of someone's iCloud files getting corrupted are probably considerably smaller than the chances of your local drive getting corrupted.
That's why we make so many backups (well, I do anyway).

HiFifreak

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2023
Since the update big problems too with security cam's and alarm.
Cant look "live" at the cams no more (it does record whats happening) but when watching live im looking at a "picture" alarm keeps going offline/online/offline
Really hope for a quick update

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I highly doubt your computer auto-updated to Sonoma without _any_ participation from you. Upgrading to a major update requires your explicit approval and a password or biometrics. Only minor updates can install automatically.

Does anybody else use your computer by chance?
There has been a moment when a fairly large number of users have experienced exactly this (me included).
There are numerous threads about it, both here and on the Apple Users forums and reddit.
The issue seems to have corrected itself fairly quickly. It was probably due to a bad/confusing notification that kicked off the update when the used dismissed it.
You, like many others, will not believe that we have not authorised the update, alas... we know what we have and what we haven't done.

Reactions: chrfr

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
This is just getting downright embarrassing for Apple. Fire your entire software department and hire people who know what they’re doing.
For 10 dollars an hour they could probably get some Indians and other less-developed-nations programmers [no sleight intended] who could probably do a better job. For 20 dollars an hour some good project managers and QA. For 30 dollars a veep or senior veep of software engineering for maybe 50 bucks/hour and a five year old Toyota.

Seriously.

I've hired for various not-for-projects people from Upwork - if you filter well and give very good definitions you can score some great gems and still the price you pay is low by western standards but a lot for them in their home country [where they perhaps are not in a position to move from].

How much as programmers and QA people getting at Apple, let alone their so-called supervisors and boss elite level.

And for this ********. It's not just once, or minor issues, but it seems to be time and time again. Jobs must be spinning in his iCoffin at supersonic speed at this development. Well done Cookie, nickel and diming makes a short-term gain on your profit line, but you can only try that game for so long.

Meanwhile the peasants are increasingly revoulting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.