Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
So, given the new screensavers being such a big highlight, I'm guessing we're getting tons of new nature shots for wallpapers...any of them dynamic?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
The DeskTop Printer alias's I keep on the desktop no longer open to show printer information.

Edit - I just discovered, thanks to a post by KoolAid-Drink, that Apple has resurrected the "Print Center" Application. That new (old) app has all the information that was available in the alias. I just assigned it to the dock.

Lou

Last edited:

nathaniom

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Screen sharing app has had a revamp and exists in the utilities directory now.

ScreenShot 2023-06-06 at 11.41.27@2x.png

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Not sure how I feel about the default behaviour when you click the desktop - it hides all your windows.

Going to keep it on and see if I get used to it but might be switching that off.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The new autocorrect seems to include automatic language switching if you have more than one keyboard set-up! No constantly switching languages anymore yeah! :D
Humm, maybe I'm missing something but multi-language autocorrect is already there since I use a Mac back in 2015. I constantly switch between English and French and the autocorrect always adapted to each languages automatically,

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The bizarro Mac icons continue I see. Compare Print Centre to Disk Utility, it's like they don't belong on the same OS.
Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I see two possibilities; that it’s a placeholder, or because Print Centre is a legacy service-turned-app, they wanted to give it a more ‘platinum’ look?

Numa_Numa_eh

Suspended
Jun 1, 2023
They rewrote the part of the system that renders and manages the menu. Menu were still rendered using Carbon and the HIToolbox in the previous macOS versions.
As the resident video (encode/decode) expert, are you aware of anything new in that realm? Although there seems to have been an av1 module for a while, not much seems to be happening with it. Is there any option for hardware decode for av1 yet?

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
macOS Ventura already ships a software AV1 decoder and AV1 hardware decoder plugin. But the software decoder is not enabled by default, and I don't know if the hardware decoder is already used on some hardware or not to decode AVIF at least. 13.4 creates preview for AV1 .mp4 files in Finder now.
I did not test macOS 14 yet, but there is a new framework to create format readers and video decoders plugins: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/mediaextension

Probably won't be needed for AV1, but it can be used for other formats.

Numa_Numa_eh

Suspended
Jun 1, 2023
macOS Ventura already ships a software AV1 decoder and AV1 hardware decoder plugin. But the software decoder is not enabled by default, and I don't know if the hardware decoder is already used on some hardware or not to decode AVIF at least. 13.4 creates preview for AV1 .mp4 files in Finder now.
I did not test macOS 14 yet, but there is a new framework to create format readers and video decoders plugins: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/mediaextension

Probably won't be needed for AV1, but it can be used for other formats.
Whoa. Would that allow an mkv plugin?

Reactions: macsba and xeilon

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
They rewrote the part of the system that renders and manages the menu. Menu were still rendered using Carbon and the HIToolbox in the previous macOS versions.

Carbon? Is this for real? I thought Carbon was already long ago discontinued and extinguished from macOS, starting around Mountain Lion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.