Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Can someone share the results of this benchmark with the new Safari?

This is bog standard Safari on Sonoma without Private Relay:
1686188766941.jpeg

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
command- up arrow in safari seems to not work (mostly), unless i first click on the page i am actually on. anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: even that 'fix' is not at all consistent. just buggy here

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Monochrome widgets on the desktop look great. I don't have bluetooth enabled and the data is still syncing (I assume via iCloud) between my phone and laptop. All the widget options on my phone also show on my laptop. Nice.

System Settings / Desktop & Dock / Widget Style = Monochrome

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Monochrome widgets on the desktop look great. I don't have bluetooth enabled and the data is still syncing (I assume via iCloud) between my phone and laptop. All the widget options on my phone also show on my laptop. Nice.

System Settings / Desktop & Dock / Widget Style = Monochrome
Yeah, I prefer the monochrome style as well. It just felt distracting how they changed to color as soon as I clicked the desktop.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
A long running bug bare of mine has been fixed! When in full screen you see the wallpaper through some translucent elements of apps, and also when you use Launchpad while in a full screen app. This isn't new. However previously this used to be just the desktop wallpaper when you made this app full screen and didn't change, so if the desktop wallpaper switches into a dark appearance or if you have a wallpaper shuffle, you often had the wrong wallpaper sat behind the full screen app. This has been a thing ever since full screen apps were introduced with OS X Lion.

Now the wallpaper changes behind all full screen apps to match the desktop wallpaper. Well done on finally correcting this behaviour Apple!

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
I think that’s how they are. They only animate on the lockscreen and once you log in, it smoothly comes to a stop on the desktop. I wish there was an option to make them move on the desktop, too.
If you install Aerial and the Aerial companion app, there is an option to do this. It works pretty well in my experience.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
The missing numbers format is now restored: 1234567.89

Exactly the one that I - and many other users - needed.

On Ventura, it could only be only set via a Terminal command. Which, in turn, blocked the entire Language & Region settings group (couldn't be open after using the Terminal command, this was fixed in a recent Ventura update).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
US English language is now A instead of US.

WHY?
It's done that since Ventura. I get GB shown as "A" as well. I logged it as a Feedback at the time (first set of Ventura betas) but like almost all my Feedbacks it was ignored. I know people on these forums say every bug should be logged, but I don't bother any more. I'm a passive tester now.

As it seems Apple aren't interested in fixing it, the workaround is to add another language even if you don't intend to use it. Once there are two Western languages installed, it should revert back to GB or US.

Reactions: zevrix

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It's done that since Ventura. I get GB shown as "A" as well. I logged it as a Feedback at the time (first set of Ventura betas) but like almost all my Feedbacks it was ignored. I know people on these forums say every bug should be logged, but I don't bother any more. I'm a passive tester now.

As it seems Apple aren't interested in fixing it, the workaround is to add another language even if you don't intend to use it. Once there are two Western languages installed, it should revert back to GB or US.

i've had responses on bug reports, but not on most of them. think of the scale of this, how many reports they do get.

if you have an issue with a beta, you should report it; if it's a common issue, the reports are tallied, and your info could help. that is the whole point of a beta program...

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
i've had responses on bug reports, but not on most of them. think of the scale of this, how many reports they do get.

if you have an issue with a beta, you should report it; if it's a common issue, the reports are tallied, and your info could help. that is the whole point of a beta program...
If they're tallied, they should start saying "More than 10" or whatever, not "Similar Reports: None".

The whole point of the beta program for Apple is to discover issues, you're correct. The main point of the beta program for me is just to play with some new features. I used to log issues every time, but for the moment I've stopped. Maybe iOS 18. We'll see.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If they're tallied, they should start saying "More than 10" or whatever, not "Similar Reports: None".

The whole point of the beta program for Apple is to discover issues, you're correct. The main point of the beta program for me is just to play with some new features. I used to log issues every time, but for the moment I've stopped. Maybe iOS 18. We'll see.
unless, of course, similar reports don't exist... 🤔...

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
the workaround is to add another language even if you don't intend to use it. Once there are two Western languages installed, it should revert back to GB or US.

oh ok got it now. i never saw this in Ventura as i always had another Western language also activated. thanks for the info. will submit this bug to Apple (not that i have any hopes).

Reactions: adrianlondon

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
On Sonoma, when the cursor enters a text editing area of any kind, a language icon sometimes appears at insertion point (for example, US) which also allows to switch languages when clicking the icon.

I don't understand two things:

-What triggers this icon to appear? It appears sometimes only - relatively rarely - and I didn't notice any consistency.

-How to disable this thing? I have all options disabled in the Input Sources window in System Settings (except for "show in menu bar").

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Back and forward buttons are back in System Settings! I missed this, and it's especially useful now that some settings require drilling down through more views.
View attachment 2215468
Back and forward buttons – state of the art feature. (Seriously though, the old System Prefs in Monterey is better and having to "drill down" through multiple full-window views is a terrible user experience on Mac, if it ain't broke don't fix it 😅)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Back and forward buttons – state of the art feature. (Seriously though, the old System Prefs in Monterey is better and having to "drill down" through multiple full-window views is a terrible user experience on Mac, if it ain't broke don't fix it 😅)
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a terrible idea in tech. if apple adhered to that, we'd all be running classic OS 9 or something on picture-tube monitors 😳

also, much of this is subjective; i personally much-prefer the new settings, and the back-&-forth buttons? icing on the cake 👍

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a terrible idea in tech. if apple adhered to that, we'd all be running classic OS 9 or something on picture-tube monitors 😳

also, much of this is subjective; i personally much-prefer the new settings, and the back-&-forth buttons? icing on the cake 👍
I also like the new UI, but I think a detail view similar to like Finder column view would be ideal. Drill down through multiple levels and jump back quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.