Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Ninja Original

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
Chile
Hi!

I have a MacPro 5.1, macOS Mojave, 96GB RAM, Kyrom.2 aquacomputer with Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Allegro Pro USB3.2 PCI Card and NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac.

I work with music production in Logic Pro and use tons of plugins (Waves, Izotope, Fabfilter, Native Instruments, IK Multimedia and others). I would like to know, from your experience, what’s the best operating system to migrate using OpenCore. Which one is more stable and performs better? macOS Big Sur (11), macOS Monterey (12) or macOS Ventura (13)? What is your suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: ratspg

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
GPU is your main issue, the last macOS release that still supports your Quadro K5000, or any other NVIDIA Kepler GPUs, is Big Sur. After Big Sur is a more or less kludge that requires injecting the Big Sur drivers and lot's of things do no work or work with issues - good enough for someone that have a light usage of the GPU, but not for a Logic Pro user. With an officially supported GPU like a RX 580 you can install Monterey.

Forget Ventura with a MacPro5,1 - some people will say that Ventura works "perfectly" with his/her Mac Pro, but for anyone that depends on Logic Pro or any other Pro workflows, Monterey is the end of the line.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Btw, be aware that Big Sur still have at best a month of official support.

The moment Sonoma is released Apple will remove current Xcode support for Big Sur - Apple supports the current macOS release (will be Sonoma) and the past two (Ventura and Monterey).

Apps/plugins/etc released after Sonoma will remove Big Sur compatibility. I'd look at whatever needed for Monterey, like a supported GPU and a USB hub.

Reactions: TheStork

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Tsialex, Do you think it's worth it for me to buy an RX580? Will it make much difference with Logic Pro?

You should test and see for yourself if whatever OCLP magic does to support an unsupported GPU is good enough for you. For me and a lot of other people that work with Pro workflows, it's not.

Anyway, even if it's acceptable for you, you still gonna need a power USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub to have HID devices support with Monterey.

Monterey works fine with a MacPro5,1 that have hardware upgrades, like a supported GPU, BCM94360 Wi-Fi and a USB hub. If you don't do that, the experience will be very poor, but for some people it's enough, tho.

Reactions: quadra605

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
What are the Logic Pro issues with RX-580 on OCLP patched Sonoma?

When Sonoma will be released, we can say anything about it…

Anyway, anything past Monterey require patching all over to work with a Mac without AVX2.0 and lot's of workflows doesn't work or work with serious issues, like DRM or VideoToolBox hardware acceleration. FireWire support is also something that cause problems with people that still have audio interfaces that connect via FireWire. Also, some plugins running with Monterey are compiled to require AVX support and do not work with a MacPro5,1.

Again, OCLP + Ventura works "good enough" for some people, but not for others - everyone have a different way to work. Test it yourself and see if you can accept the compromises.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Monterey actually still supports integrated USB 1.1/2.0 without the need of patching or using a hub. The issue starts with Ventura, but it's easily solvable.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Monterey actually still supports integrated USB 1.1/2.0 without the need of patching or using a hub. The issue starts with Ventura, but it's easily solvable.

You are mistaken, the USB issues started with BigSur - Catalina is the last macOS release that USB fully works as expected.

The first thing that stopped working is hot-plug and since Big Sur, USB hot-plug do not work anymore.

Reactions: h9826790

Black Ninja Original

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
Chile
Thanks guys!

I have a noob/dumb question…

To do opencore for BigSur, do I need the latest version? Or is there an older version of opencore that is more suitable? What is better?

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Dear Sir,
w/ Ref. to Youtube Video by CS Studios ( The Complete Guide to Installing macOS Monterey 12 on Mid 2010/2012 Mac Pro 5,1 ) , I would like to try and ask You a humble question about Boot ROM version of computer MAC PRO I own : it is 4,1 then 5,1
its Boot ROM is s. th. like ( ... B00), while the CS Studios `patcher would let it become a Boot ROM version ( 144. or s . th. like this...LOL) Please : may I ask You whether this kind of Boot ROM transformation would cause some generic troubleshooting experience , so to say , to the computer I own ? Id est : could I possibly run the computer I own using it simply like before , as usual -waiting only for the right future time , when I could offer it a step forward , into an advanced rank of computing operations, as suggested from specialized people like You , Dear Mr Tsialex, and / or CS Studios ?
Waiting for Your kind reply , I salute You with
Best Regards

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Dear Sir,
w/ Ref. to Youtube Video by CS Studios ( The Complete Guide to Installing macOS Monterey 12 on Mid 2010/2012 Mac Pro 5,1 ) , I would like to try and ask You a humble question about Boot ROM version of computer MAC PRO I own : it is 4,1 then 5,1
its Boot ROM is s. th. like ( ... B00), while the CS Studios `patcher would let it become a Boot ROM version ( 144. or s . th. like this...LOL) Please : may I ask You whether this kind of Boot ROM transformation would cause some generic troubleshooting experience , so to say , to the computer I own ? Id est : could I possibly run the computer I own using it simply like before , as usual -waiting only for the right future time , when I could offer it a step forward , into an advanced rank of computing operations, as suggested from specialized people like You , Dear Mr Tsialex, and / or CS Studios ?
Waiting for Your kind reply , I salute You with
Best Regards

Very weirdly written question.

Anyway, please open AboutThisMac > SystemReport > HardwareOverview, look at Boot ROM Version. What version is currently installed?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MP51.0089.B00
ps : sorry for my bad english

First post of the stickie thread below have everything you'll ever need to known about Mojave EFI firmware upgrades.

JosephPatrick7

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
Hello quick question...I currently have a Mac 5.1 mid 2010 2x2.4 ghz quad core intel xeon with 128gb ram and a Radeon RX 580 8gb metal gpu. I currently have mac os Big Sur with opencore. What is the highest Mac OS can I currently upgrade to? Thanks in advance!

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
... At the moment I have apparently been informed that it would be best or maybe cautious to maintain an OS Mojave MAX , or may be Monterey EXTRA MAX LOL ! ...

Reactions: JosephPatrick7

JosephPatrick7

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
... At the moment I have apparently been informed that it would be best or maybe cautious to maintain an OS Mojave MAX , or may be Monterey EXTRA MAX LOL ! ...
Thanks I already have had Big Sur for a couple of years and was interested in maybe Ventura or Sonoma...but Monterey would be fine also :) thanks...can you point me in the direction of the Monterey guidelines to install on my machine if I have Big Sur?

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Well: IMHO I would say , being a total beginner for what concerns up an down grades between Mac `s OS , to follow Apple ´s procedures , and things like those ?
PS : by the way : I use Mac Pro 2010 and its OS HIGH SIERRA v . 10.13.6 and am searching for the right 4 gb video card , in order to maintain the same Operating System : any advice ?

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Thanks I already have had Big Sur for a couple of years and was interested in maybe Ventura or Sonoma...but Monterey would be fine also :) thanks...can you point me in the direction of the Monterey guidelines to install on my machine if I have Big Sur?
before i give you any advice which version of opencore are you using?

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Well: IMHO I would say , being a total beginner for what concerns up an down grades between Mac `s OS , to follow Apple ´s procedures , and things like those ?
PS : by the way : I use Mac Pro 2010 and its OS HIGH SIERRA v . 10.13.6 and am searching for the right 4 gb video card , in order to maintain the same Operating System : any advice ?
from what i understand you can use a saffire pulse rx 580 8 gb under high sierra.

JosephPatrick7

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
I use the AMD Radeon RX 580 metal which is lets you upgrade your Mac OS further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.