Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Well: I do not quite know the procedure through OpenCore : nevertheless I am appearing to be informed that it would be possible to install RX 580 Pulse (even though I , at the moment , have only the Nitro Plus ...) without any Open Core : am I wrong ? Otherwise it could not be possible to upgrade to further future new OS and things like those ( further Metal Video Card install procedures , for example...)

reppresident

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2023
Rio de Janeiro _ Brasil
Hi!

I have a MacPro 5.1, macOS Mojave, 96GB RAM, Kyrom.2 aquacomputer with Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Allegro Pro USB3.2 PCI Card and NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac.

I work with music production in Logic Pro and use tons of plugins (Waves, Izotope, Fabfilter, Native Instruments, IK Multimedia and others). I would like to know, from your experience, what’s the best operating system to migrate using OpenCore. Which one is more stable and performs better? macOS Big Sur (11), macOS Monterey (12) or macOS Ventura (13)? What is your suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Excuse me, im a musician too and also have a mac pro 5.1, but slightly different model (2012). im working with an 12 core x5690, 96gb 1333mhz ram, macvidcard rx460 2gb gpu, 2x 1tb nvme in an pex8747 adapter running oclp 0.4.11 and monterey 12.7 flawlessly. im work with Ableton by the way, and use a ton of plugins as well. hope this is helpfull for your decisions onward.

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
SAPPHIRE NITRO PLUS , here...
So heres my advise to you. make a new drive with mojave, once you get it working NEVER MESS WITH THE SETTINGS AGAIN. Next step is to get another drive and install monterey with martin lo opencore. now you'll have 3 drives, high sierra, mojave and monterey.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hi MrScratchHook.
Hey bro I have the same Mac pro 2010, with A rx580, I can't upgrade to Pro Tools 2023.9 until I upgrade my OS.

Should I install Monterey or Big Sur? I running on the old Digi003 modded interface, There is a way you install the drivers Avid drivers for Big Sur, and for Monterey, thanks in advance bro.
Martin's or OCLP?

Last edited:

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Hi MrScratchHook.
Hey bro I have the same Mac pro 2010, with A rx580, I can't upgrade to Pro Tools 2023.9 until I upgrade my OS.

Should I install Monterey or Big Sur? I running on the old Digi003 modded, There's a way you install the drivers for Big Sur, but not sure for Monterey, thanks in advance bro.
i had to sell my digi 003 after moving to big sur( i miss the old guy), the drivers just wouldn't install, im also assuming your on mojave, and pt 2023.6 actually works on mojave. i hope i assumed right. lol with that said go monterey with opencore

Last edited:

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Yeah I love this old Digi003 console, and also snagged a Digi003 tweakHead rack mod (boy) night and day from stock digi003.

I'm on PT2023.6 and 2023.9 needs Big Sur through Ventura and Mojave won't work.
Found a workaround, and it does work when I installed it when I was running OpenCore, but I had to revert for the projects I was currently working with certain plugins I needed to finish.

Not giving up yet on these Digi beast yet (LOL)

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Yeah I love this old Digi003 console, and also snagged a Digi003 tweakmod (boy) night and day from stock digi003.

I'm on PT2023.6 and 2023.9 needs Big Sur through Ventura and Mojave won't work.
Found a workaround, and it does work when I installed it when I was running OpenCore, but I had to revert for the projects I was currently working with certain plugins I needed to finish.

Not giving up yet on these Digi beast yet (LOL)
ok kool, well im glad it worked for you, i bit the bullet and bought a volt476, works fine and saves space. i will say that from these last macos's monterey is super solid, not so much as a hiccup, i loved it. But out of curiosity i went for sonoma and i really like that too(a couple of hiccups i can live with for now) but most surprisingly pt 23.6 works, and 99 percent of my plugins work too, I WAS SHOCKED!!!! waves14, plugin alliance, ssl native, native instruments, accusonus, softtube and even my my uad2 pcie and all the plugins...what didnt work was t-racks and izotope, luckily i can make due without them. im golden right now...

Reactions: quadra605

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
ok kool, well im glad it worked for you, i bit the bullet and bought a volt476, works fine and saves space. i will say that from these last macos's monterey is super solid, not so much as a hiccup, i loved it. But out of curiosity i went for sonoma and i really like that too(a couple of hiccups i can live with for now) but most surprisingly pt 23.6 works, and 99 percent of my plugins work too, I WAS SHOCKED!!!! waves14, plugin alliance, ssl native, native instruments, accusonus, softtube and even my my uad2 pcie and all the plugins...what didnt work was t-racks and izotope, luckily i can make due without them. im golden right now...
Wow, that is something, especially a lot of these plugins are not certified yet, that iS great news. Thank you very much for the info. getting ready to give OC a shot, been so long. Do I disable SIP first before I start, can't remember ?

Also the volt is a stellar interface. THANKS

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Wow, that is something, especially a lot of these plugins are not certified yet, that iS great news. Thank you very much for the info. getting ready to give OC a shot, been so long. Do I disable SIP first before I start, can't remember ?

Also the volt is a stellar interface. THANKS
yes disable s.i.p.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Yahoo, Got Monterey going. Thank you all immensely.

Question if I may. The one drive on Mojave that has all my programs. I really don't want to reinstall and all that ilok crap. Waves etc.

Can I just update that drive from Mojave to Monterey without erasing all my stuff ? thanks.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Yahoo, Got Monterey going. Thank you all immensely.

Question if I may. The one drive on Mojave that has all my programs. I really don't want to reinstall and all that ilok crap. Waves etc.

Can I just update that drive from Mojave to Monterey without erasing all my stuff ? thanks.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Everything will be erased. All must be reinstalled.

Black Ninja Original

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
Chile
Excuse me, im a musician too and also have a mac pro 5.1, but slightly different model (2012). im working with an 12 core x5690, 96gb 1333mhz ram, macvidcard rx460 2gb gpu, 2x 1tb nvme in an pex8747 adapter running oclp 0.4.11 and monterey 12.7 flawlessly. im work with Ableton by the way, and use a ton of plugins as well. hope this is helpfull for your decisions onward.
Thanks a lot!

Black Ninja Original

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
Chile
Today I discovered that the new Logic update (10.8) only works on OS Ventura or high… I was ready to install Monterrey and I had already borrowed an RX 580 to test…

So guys, what problems have you encountered in OCLP and Mac OS Ventura with Mac Pro 5.1?

Is it worth to try Ventura?

I didn't want to miss this Logic update…

I don’t use FireWire anymore… I don’t use Wi-Fi… just Ethernet, Bluetooth (I have external antenna) and USB (I have Allegro Pro USB3.2 PCI Card)…

My audio interface is one Metric Halo LIO-8 3D. I use 2 Dell monitors (displayport) and 1 LG monitor (HDMI)

Last edited:

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Today I discovered that the new Logic update (10.8) only works on OS Ventura or high… I was ready to install Monterrey and I had already borrowed an RX 580 to test…

So guys, what problems have you encountered in OCLP and Mac OS Ventura with Mac Pro 5.1?

I don’t use FireWire anymore… I don’t use Wi-Fi… just Ethernet, Bluetooth (I have external antenna) and USB (I have Allegro Pro USB3.2 PCI Card)…

My audio interface is one Metric Halo LIO-8 3D. I use 2 Dell monitors (displayport) and 1 LG monitor (HDMI)
Ventura isnt horrible. i like monterey better, but ventura is ok

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

I am using Monterey (backup install) and Sonoma. Ventura worked fine previously. I am on Logic 10.8 but have not extensively tested that. I also have Mojave for original apps and recovery,

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
So heres my advise to you. make a new drive with mojave, once you get it working NEVER MESS WITH THE SETTINGS AGAIN. Next step is to get another drive and install monterey with martin lo opencore. now you'll have 3 drives, high sierra, mojave and monterey.
...Ok : thank You : I am humbly going through my way , so as to try and install the here suggested Vidcard MSI Gaming RADEON RX 560 ; then , although quite ready to get a renewed install of one OS Mojave , I do not think to erase my actual OS High Sierra , bacause I feel its DAW runs quite good enough ; maybe I would rather buy a second used computer Mac or a hackintosh build project
Let us see LOL ! what to do ...

Reactions: MrScratchHook

Jamin1966

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
Los Angeles
Some experience for sharing, I have three macpro5.1, two 2009 early (#1 is with ATI 5770 GPU, #2 is AMD RX 580 8G), #3 is 2012 mid with Redon 7950 3G. All tried to install Ventura 13.6.1 with oclp1.20, this is what happens: #1 works super perfectly than expected, extreme smoothly 4K movie playing; #2 works improperly, stuck at Apple logo screen with a error prompt; #3 works with issues, Wi-Fi doesn’t work, 4K video not smooth. I will try macOS Monterey on #2 & #3, see what will happen. Good luck.

Jamin1966

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
Los Angeles
Additional, #1 CPU 2x 3.06 / 6 core, #2 and #3 CPU 2x 3.46 / 6 core.

I am not sure which macOS is overall perfectly running on the macpro5.1, from high sierra, Mojave, to Sonoma.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
Have Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura on my Mac Pro 3,1 each on their own drive and I can boot any one of them, Works perfect, Use the Nvidia EVGA GTX 780Ti and sometimes the Nvidia EVGA GT 730, They seem to work with everything all the time, EVGA still sells the GT 730 on their website new, Could probably get a lot of other cards to work but these two I like because they are easy

Did the same thing with the Mac Pro 5,1, Works perfect

Have a Mac mini 2014 with Monterey and Sonoma each in their own drive, Works perfect

Have a Mac Pro 6,1, Put Monterey on it which it is suppose to have and partitioned the 1TB SSD to 2 500GB and put Sonoma on the other, and it works perfect with everything just like it is suppose to

Somebody want a real Mac to use that works just like it suppose to for the average person that don't do the big fancy stuff all these work just fine, Will probably to some of the big fancy stuff also, I know all of them will defiantly do cad, Even put parallels on one Mac Pro 5,1 and run Windows 10, Windows 11, and Linux, even have windows 7 32bit on the Mac Pro 5,1 to run a 32 bit Cad app I like to use, With 64GB Ram I can run MacOS plus 2-3 other operation systems all at the same time

An absolute fact, Done it

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
...I am coming from the actual experience to install , as suggested , a graphic card RX 560 Radeon " ROG STRIX GAMING . on computer Mac Pro Model 5.1
Nothing happens , like the last time I tried to install Radeon 580 Nitro Plus
Both present the same behaviour , while monitor does noT let me see any thing : id est : after some minutes , both would stop their fan movement

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
it has been told . to me , that Radeon RX 560 " ROG STRIX Gaming " would be the same as the one suggested by Your esteemable reference
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5 = is it same as the Radeon RX 560 " ROG STRIX Gaming " ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.