Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've got a MacPro4,1, and in the past month or so the Bluetooth seems to be having issues.

They started with what I can only describe as 'graininess' when moving the mouse. Like it's on cobblestones or something. Sometimes it slightly jerks across the screen, and lags a little. I've turned the speed up, and it's not helped. Then it will occasionally lose connection. I swapped mice, and the 'graininess' has continued somewhat, and the connection dropped once already this morning. Thought it might be battery level, but it's at 100%, so far.

So the big question: Is the Bluetooth module replaceable in this model of MacPro?

It almost has to be the Bluetooth module as nothing else has changed. The MacPro sits directly under the mouse pad too. Nothing in the way but the desktop.

I'm sad to think that it might be near death. This is my number one system.

Thanks for any assistance...

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
I've got a MacPro4,1, and in the past month or so the Bluetooth seems to be having issues.

They started with what I can only describe as 'graininess' when moving the mouse. Like it's on cobblestones or something. Sometimes it slightly jerks across the screen, and lags a little. I've turned the speed up, and it's not helped. Then it will occasionally lose connection. I swapped mice, and the 'graininess' has continued somewhat, and the connection dropped once already this morning. Thought it might be battery level, but it's at 100%, so far.

So the big question: Is the Bluetooth module replaceable in this model of MacPro?

It almost has to be the Bluetooth module as nothing else has changed. The MacPro sits directly under the mouse pad too. Nothing in the way but the desktop.

I'm sad to think that it might be near death. This is my number one system.

Thanks for any assistance...

If you have your mousepad on top of your Mac Pro 4,1 , please be aware this is near the PSU . This sounds more like an EMI issue . I would reposition your mousepad to the side of the Mac .

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
My Mac Pro came with the wrong antenna attached to the Bluetooth module.

A lot of models came with the antenna cables mislabeled, so check that out.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My Mac Pro came with the wrong antenna attached to the Bluetooth module.

A lot of models came with the antenna cables mislabeled, so check that out.

How would I know? Is there a graphic that shows where everything is? I've heard that the antennae are in hard to reach places in typical fashion.

I'll try to find out somehow...
[doublepost=1457967116][/doublepost]
If you have your mousepad on top of your Mac Pro 4,1 , please be aware this is near the PSU . This sounds more like an EMI issue . I would reposition your mousepad to the side of the Mac .

But it's just started doing this fairly recently, making me believe that it's a module problem. Usually when the battery goes weak, I get disco's, but not when the battery says over like 10%.

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
How would I know? Is there a graphic that shows where everything is? I've heard that the antennae are in hard to reach places in typical fashion.

I'll try to find out somehow...
[doublepost=1457967116][/doublepost]

But it's just started doing this fairly recently, making me believe that it's a module problem. Usually when the battery goes weak, I get disco's, but not when the battery says over like 10%.

Have you tried using another wireless mouse ? it could be your current mouse is dying .

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Have you tried using another wireless mouse ? it could be your current mouse is dying .

Yep. First thing I did. It's lagging too. Discoed pretty quickly after the swap. Hasn't done it since, but it kinda moves across the screen like its got Parkinsons...

Most distressing. I love this machine...
[doublepost=1457973191][/doublepost]I've seen people using these cards, BCM94360CD. Do they work? What else were they used in.

Thanks...

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Yep. First thing I did. It's lagging too. Discoed pretty quickly after the swap. Hasn't done it since, but it kinda moves across the screen like its got Parkinsons...

[doublepost=1457973191][/doublepost]I've seen people using these cards, BCM94360CD. Do they work? What else were they used in.

Thanks...
I tried one of those cards and it's wifi and BT showed up as working in the about specs on my 2009 Mac Pro but I couldn't get my Apple wireless KB or mouse connect. I'm not sure if I tried a device disconnect/connect though. I still have the card so I'll probably give it another go as my Magic Mouse still disconnects/reconnects a lot. It was kind of a pain for me to install because of the very small connectors. You need bright, directed lighting and in my case strong reading glasses.

Right now I'm using an external antenna and cable that connects to the original Apple BT card. I also have a Broadcom BT USB dongle. You'll need to download Apple's Bluetooth Explorer utility so you can switch to it. To get that Apple BT utility you need to register as a hardware developer with Apple which is easy to do. These are both inexpensive solutions.

There are threads about all of this if you do some searching on MR.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks...

The Bcm94360cd card requires a special form factor adapter with a power cable connection to connect it's BT to the factory's motherboard BT power connector . It also requires a BT antenna extension cable to attach to the chassis' BT antenna .

macpro2010_1.jpg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The Bcm94360cd card requires a special form factor adapter with a power cable connection to connect it's BT to the factory's motherboard BT power connector . It also requires a BT antenna extension cable to attach to the chassis' BT antenna .

View attachment 621160

Wow. First I've heard about a power cable. I have thought about buying a 4,1 or maybe 5,1 and use it for parts, but what are the chances that the part that is failing in mine has already failed in a used one. Hmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.