Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
See this:
https://bombich.com/print/690
https://bombich.com/print/726

If your clone drive did not have a Recovery HD partition PRIOR to cloning, it may explain the resolution to the firmware update issues. CCC will prompt for a Recovery HD by default if one does not exist. For some reason, several users do not have (updated) Recovery HD partitions on their OS System Drive.
thats exactly it, I created a Recovery partition on it and it fixed the issue.

Max62

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Hello all
I ask help you, I have a Mac Pro 5.1 2010 ( with upgrade CPU 2 x 3,33 Ghz in this moment is installed OSX 10.12.9 ) with old graphic card HD5770 and so I can't install Mojave. I would like buy a new graphic card; is it possible upgrade con R9 290 or 290X ? If yes i will see the screen boot when start ? Or which graphic card I can use with screen boot ?
Thanks a lot and I ask patience for my English
Max

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Hello all
I ask help you, I have a Mac Pro 5.1 2010 ( with upgrade CPU 2 x 3,33 Ghz in this moment is installed OSX 10.12.9 ) with old graphic card HD5770 and so I can't install Mojave. I would like buy a new graphic card; is it possible upgrade con R9 290 or 290X ? If yes i will see the screen boot when start ? Or which graphic card I can use with screen boot ?
Max

You will need to update to 10.13.6 and update firmware to MP51.0089.B00 before updating to Mojave.

This is Apple's official recommendation for 10.14 Mojave:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

These specific third-party graphics cards are Metal-capable and compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
actually IIRC the X1900 XT is an EBC card so should in *theory* work in a MP5,1 I know for a fact it works fine in a MP3,1 ("famous" youtube dude "its my natural colour" had one in his MP3,1 for a long time)

(of course it wont function properly post 10.7.5)

id actually like to get an X1900 XT or Xserve1,1/2,1 X1300 256MB PCIe BTO card and chuck it in my 5,1 then throw windows in EFI mode at it and watch the drivers utterly Sh*t themselfs trying to figure it all out :)

especially as I read the X1x00 ATI cards dont have a PC VBIOS but Just an EFI, (with the X1900s VBIOS being stored in the MP1,1/2,1s BootROM)
Ok, I stand corrected. But will not work to diagnose problems and reinstall macOS like a 2600XT/GT120 will with 10.13.6.

Roadmap123

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Germany
Just wan't to Update following the instructions from first post. But my MAS doesn't find High Sierra anymore?!

Only Mojave available?! So what to do now??

Roadmap123

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Germany
High Sierra link on the first post.

Yes that what I used, this brings me to this list:

Capto_Capture_2018_09_25_05_20_50_PM.png

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
What is the fastest card I could get for a 5.1 that wont have to be flashed? I have a RX 580 currently but would like to go faster if possible.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
What is the fastest card I could get for a 5.1 that wont have to be flashed? I have a RX 580 currently but would like to go faster if possible.

Your question is fairly subjective and depends on use.
The two NVIDIA cards on this list are EFI and no longer officially available for purchase.
There are currently no NVIDIA Web Drivers available for Mojave.
Wait for NVIDIA Web Drivers for Mojave if you really want non-EFI options beyond the official list.

MuNLoK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Spain
You need the web drivers, so you have to wait for NVIDIA release them.

You can use startosinstall from 10.13.6 and it will install without the need of boot screens, but you need to wait for NVIDIA web drivers. Apple NVIDIA drivers on Mojave only support Kepler cards, yours is Maxwell.

Thanks for the info. I will use sutartosinstall from 10.13.6 then.

I know that I need to wait for NVIDIA release, but I have a question:
After the clean installation complete (on another disk) without the need of boot screen, how can I install web driver without being able to see the screen? I usually access through VNC via mobile when I need to update Web Driver, but now it's a clean installation... (I guess without vnc and with the system preconfiguration screen) how can I install web driver for first time?

Last edited:
Reactions: odin

Socket

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
sorry for my question:
if i'd like to make a clean installation of Mojave, with only a rx580?
Tell me if it's correct: I must to create a USB key, then i set the startup disk in system preference, set USB, restart, then I will see the screen to format disk, before the installation? Or it will be black screen? Tks in advance

aaronraimist

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
Just want to note that I'm already on MP51.0089.B00 and the Mojave installer says I need to perform a firmware update.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
sorry for my question:
Tell me if it's correct: I must to create a USB key, then i set the startup disk in system preference, set USB, restart, then I will see the screen to format disk, before the installation? Or it will be black screen? Tks in advance

You first need to be on MP51.0089.B00 firmware (Boot ROM Version).
Then update to 138.0.0.0.0 for Mojave install with Metal GPU.

Apple's official instructions do NOT include instructions for clean install, you will be "on your own" for that method:

Just want to note that I'm already on MP51.0089.B00 and the Mojave installer says I need to perform a firmware update.

You will update MP51.0089.B00 > 138.0.0.0.0 for Mojave. You need a Metal GPU installed for that update.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the info. I will use sutartosinstall from 10.13.6 then.

I know that I need to wait for NVIDIA release, but I have a question:
After the clean installation complete (on another disk) without the need of boot screen, how can I install web driver without being able to see the screen? I usually access through VNC via mobile when I need to update Web Driver, bot now it's a clean installation... (I guess without vnc and with the system preconfiguration screen) how can I install web driver for first time?

AFAIK, it's barely next to impossible to do that.

TBH, one of the hardest thing to do is try to install a clean macOS with just an unflashed Maxwell / Pascal GPU.

As you pointed out, there will be nothing display at all and no remote control available. So, unless you know how to use VoiceOver, I will say it's almost impossible to get it done (install web driver, or at least go through the initial setup and remote control setup).

Since you mentioned that you remote via VNC on mobile. So, I expect you don't have another Mac. Which means can't use another Mac to install OS and web driver, then transfer the hard drive to the cMP. IMO, this is the easiest way, but seems not feasible to you.

MuNLoK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Spain
AFAIK, it's barely next to impossible to do that.

TBH, one of the hardest thing to do is try to install a clean macOS with just an unflashed Maxwell / Pascal GPU.

As you pointed out, there will be nothing display at all and no remote control available. So, unless you know how to use VoiceOver, I will say it's almost impossible to get it done (install web driver, or at least go through the initial setup and remote control setup).

Since you mentioned that you remote via VNC on mobile. So, I expect you don't have another Mac. Which means can't use another Mac to install OS and web driver, then transfer the hard drive to the cMP. IMO, this is the easiest way, but seems not feasible to you.

Thanks for the reply.

I also have the original graphic (ATI HD 4870) with which I could see the screen during installation ... but I understood that I can not use it to install Mojave, right?

If there is no other solution ...maybe I would have to install a clean High Sierra using the ATI HD 4870, install web driver / enable remote access vnc, and then upgrade to Mojave?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
sorry for my question:
You can't update the BootROM from USB. You have to do all BootROM upgrades it from 10.13.6. Btw, you can do a clean install with startosinstall from 10.13.6.

People with RX-580 can tell you about the rest.
[doublepost=1537894997][/doublepost]
Thanks for the reply.

I also have the original graphic (ATI HD 4870) with which I could see the screen during installation ... but I understood that I can not use it to install Mojave, right?

If there is no other solution ...maybe I would have to install a clean High Sierra using the ATI HD 4870, install web driver / enable remote access vnc, and then upgrade to Mojave?
That don't work too. Once Mojave starts, NVIDIA drivers will stop.

Apple have a solution for this. You can install almost anything with startosinstall. It's what's used by sysadmins to install apps/drivers at installation time. You will have to do the same, check --installpackage.
[doublepost=1537895217][/doublepost]
Hello all
Max
You can't flash R9-290 or R9-290X. The most powerful flashable AMD card is HD 7970/R9-280X.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

This should work.

But before you try that, you may try.

1) Only install the Nvidia card in your cMP
2) Run the 10.14 installer
3) select a newly formatted drive as destination (for clean installation)
4) When it prompt for restart, shut it down
5) remove the Nvidia GPU
6) Install the HD4870
7) Turn on the cMP to let the OS installation continue.

There will be few possible outcome

A) OS installation completed, HD4870 can boot to desktop with just the Mac EFI. So, now you can install web driver and then swap the Nvidia GPU back in.

B) OS installation completed, but HD4870 only shows black screen once driver loaded. Then nothing you can do. But use your HS -> Mojave method

C) OS installation can't be completed, but going into a reboot loop / hang / crash. Then again, you have to use the HS - > Mojave method.

Anyway, no need to install web driver for HS. Simple make a clean installation with HD4870, activate VNC, then upgrade to Mojave should be enough. HOWEVER, this still very depends on if you can get VNC when the system still shows you the very initial setup screen right after OS installation (e.g. the screen that to ask if you want to send system info to the Apple server).

If that's the final part of the installation, and VNC cannot be activated until you make a choice, and really boot to desktop. Then your plan still won't work.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
This should work.

5) remove the Nvidia GPU
6) Install the HD4870

A) OS installation completed, HD4870 can boot to desktop with just the Mac EFI. So, now you can install web driver and then swap the Nvidia GPU back in.

B) OS installation completed, but HD4870 only shows black screen once driver loaded. Then nothing you can do. But use your HS -> Mojave method

C) OS installation can't be completed, but going into a reboot loop / hang / crash. Then again, you have to use the HS - > Mojave method.
Maybe it's better to just repackage nvidia web drivers and use startosinstall --installpackage?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Maybe it's better to just repackage nvidia web drivers and use startosinstall --installpackage?

Yes, this sounds easier.

Intentionally force install the 10.14 web driver into a clean 10.13.6, then perform the OS upgrade may work.

I believe the steps would be

1) install HD4870
2) make a clean 10.13.6 installation
2.5) Completely disable SIP and Gatekeeper (this may not be required, but I can imagine this can avoid lots of issues)
3) install the correct web driver for 10.13.6
3.5) With step 2.5, this should be a very straight forward installation, no permission, security block.
4) shutdown
5) move HD4870, install the Nvidia GPU
6) run 10.14 installer to upgrade to 138.0.0.0.0 (if not done yet)
6.5) double check both SIP and Gatekeeper still OFF, turn on VNC as backup
7) force install the 10.14 web driver onto the current 10.13.6 (DO NOT RESTART)
8) Run the 10.14 installer to update the OS

If my logic is right. Then the 10.14 installer will run natively with the Metal supported Nvidia GPU. OS will be installed, 10.14 Nvidia web driver will be load on the first boot.

The user now can then re-activate SIP or Gatekeeper if preferred. But expect will face some web driver issue on the 1st reboot. Hopefully VNC can help to fix it.

MuNLoK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Spain
This should work.

5) remove the Nvidia GPU
6) Install the HD4870

Anyway, no need to install web driver for HS. Simple make a clean installation with HD4870, activate VNC, then upgrade to Mojave should be enough. HOWEVER, this still very depends on if you can get VNC when the system still shows you the very initial setup screen right after OS installation (e.g. the screen that to ask if you want to send system info to the Apple server).

If that's the final part of the installation, and VNC cannot be activated until you make a choice, and really boot to desktop. Then your plan still won't work.

It's a good idea, there's nothing to lose so I'll try it to see if there's luck.

I'm also looking at this:
https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh

It seems that it allows to install Web Driver through command line. Perhaps can I start up the Mac in single user /verbose mode after the install, and then install the web driver throught command line. (I suppose I can see the screen on single user with the Nvidia card, but I'm not sure).

Daveg6

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
If you use one of the Metal capable GPUs and it is not flashed then you will not get a boot screen? Are the Sapphire 7950 and the Nvidia GTX 680 the only cards that will support a boot screen? What are the disadvatages of not having a boot screen. If it's for diagnostic purposes than once Mojave is installed with a non EFI card would you lose that capability? I'm thinking about future updates and how not having a boot screen will affect that process/

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It's a good idea, there's nothing to lose so I'll try it to see if there's luck.

It seems that it allows to install Web Driver through command line. Perhaps can I start up the Mac in single user /verbose mode after the install, and then install the web driver throught command line. (I suppose I can see the screen on single user with the Nvidia card, but I'm not sure).

You won't see anything from an unflashed Nvidia card (in macOS) until web driver is loaded.

Unlike Windows, macOS didn't even provide the most basic ability to activate a modern Nvidia GPU in any basic display mode.
[doublepost=1537898750][/doublepost]
If you use one of the Metal capable GPUs and it is not flashed then you will not get a boot screen? Are the Sapphire 7950 and the Nvidia GTX 680 the only cards that will support a boot screen? What are the disadvatages of not having a boot screen. If it's for diagnostic purposes than once Mojave is installed with a non EFI card would you lose that capability? I'm thinking about future updates and how not having a boot screen will affect that process/

The Quadro K5000 for Mac also has boot screen.

From memory, when you lost boot screen, you will lost (ONLY correct in 10.14)

1) the display ability in single user mode
2) the display ability in single user recovery mode
3) boot manager
4) the ability to display the Apple logo before driver is loaded
5) the display ability in AHT / ASD

(4) is completely useless

(1) and (2) still can work if you only need to enter something and no need to see the result (e.g. use single user recovery mode to enable / disable SIP)

(3) will be completely broken, system hang

(5) I have no idea, most likely still working, but due to nothing is displayed, which means useless.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I

To use that, you need this things installed:

• Xcode Command Line Tools
  • Brew
  • Brew taps.
How do you gonna install all that…

Look at --installpackage option of startosintall, flatten NVIDIA web driver/repackage it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.