Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tahitibub

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
France and French Polynesia
That is a good suggestion to investigate. My initial thought is LibreOffice will likely work as I understand the problem is the Apple apps now use AVX2 instructions. The generation of CPU used in the MP 6,1 does not support AVX2.
@steve123 Hello Steve,
I saw in another thread that you found we can now insert a JPEG image into a Pages document (without crashing the app). So lake of AVX2 support wouldn't be the cause of the previous bug ? Do you think the latest firmware (481.0.0.0.0) has something to do with this improvement ?

Last edited:

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
@steve123 Hello Steve,
I saw in another thread that you found we can now insert a JPEG image into a Pages document (without crashing the app). So lake of AVX2 support wouldn't be the cause of the previous bug ? Do you think the latest firmware (481.0.0.0.0) has something to do with this improvement ?
I am not sure at this point ... there does not appear to be anything obvious that changed to account for this but I have not looked closely. The firmware angle is interesting ... I wonder if anyone still on Monterey has noticed anything?

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Is firmware 481.0.0.0 bundled in with Monterey 12.7.3? If you upgraded to Sonoma using OCLP before 12.7.3 came out, does that mean the only way to update the firmware would be to put Monterey 12.7.2 on a USB stick, boot off of it and then upgrade the OS on the USB stick, getting the firmware updated along for the ride?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
481.0.0.0.0 is available with Monterey, any version will download the EFI firmware update file with Software Updates and update automatically while doing all the updates.

Apple made a requirement that the internal drive should be the Monterey one for the EFI firmware upgrade. Won't work booting from USB or TB.

Easy way is to install an AppleOEM blade to the MacPro6,1, install Monterey to it and do all the Software Updates, after 481.0.0.0.0 is installed, you can put back the blade that have Sonoma installed.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I am not sure at this point ... there does not appear to be anything obvious that changed to account for this but I have not looked closely. The firmware angle is interesting ... I wonder if anyone still on Monterey has noticed anything?
I checked my firmware and it is reporting 474.0.0.0.0 so the firmware does not appear to be what caused the change in behaviour.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Still issues with DRM, more people are reporting it by now. One commonly reported is some films on AppleTV+.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
My displays are 2560x1440
and I am not experiencing major issues.
While I have not watched anything from AppleTV+ in several weeks I think I only noticed an issue a few times. The stream would pause and not resume, or would only resume from a specific spot. That was also in a specific time window.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Has there been any reports of Facetime (video) not working? I noticed recently that when I have a Facetime chat with someone their video does not come through. They get my video stream but I do not see them. Wondering if this has something to do with OCLP and macOS 14.4 with my MP 6,1. I did not have a problem before 14.4.

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Well, I tried to take the plunge with OCLP 1.4.2 and of course it doesn't work for me.

Ran the patcher, told it to download Sonoma 14.4, it created the USB installer OK on a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 USB stick. OCLP built, told it to install to the EFI partition on the boot volume. Rebooted, held down Option, picked the EFI partition, next screen I picked the USB stick.

Screen blanks, Apple logo comes up, a couple of ticks on the progress bar ... and then, nothing. Screen goes blank, and my LG 5K monitor (connected via Thunderbolt, with an Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter - works fine when booted into Monterey 12.7.4) says it's going into Power Save mode. Power-cycled, same steps, same result.

Sigh ...

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Which computer? Your signature shows you have a 2010 Mac Pro and 2012 Mac Mini. OCLP 1.4.2 does not work with older Non Metal GPU's yet.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
My .sig is limited to 4 lines. I also have a 2013 Mac Pro (32 GB/1 TB/D700) which is why I've been following this sub.
I have the same Trashcan and all installations of OSX Sonoma have worked flawlessly. I seem to remember a lot of stress when I did the initial conversion many months ago, and it took a lloonngg time to install. Try again, and follow the step-by-step directions: OCLP Step-by-step

Stemow

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Installed Sonoma on my 6,1 after sticking with Monterrey to test a very specific feature… for anyone who was curious, mirroring to a Vision Pro does not work :p

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
I have the same Trashcan and all installations of OSX Sonoma have worked flawlessly. I seem to remember a lot of stress when I did the initial conversion many months ago, and it took a lloonngg time to install. Try again, and follow the step-by-step directions: OCLP Step-by-step
Killlerbob, I did follow the instructions on that page to the letter. That's why I'm a bit puzzled that it doesn't work.

Over on Reddit someone suggested to me that using a USB 3.0 32 GB SanDisk USB stick was my problem, and that I should try and use a USB 2.0 USB stick instead?

Stemow

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Killlerbob, I did follow the instructions on that page to the letter. That's why I'm a bit puzzled that it doesn't work.

Over on Reddit someone suggested to me that using a USB 3.0 32 GB SanDisk USB stick was my problem, and that I should try and use a USB 2.0 USB stick instead?
FWIW I used a USB 2.0 thumb drive today and it took about 2 hours but indeed worked without incident through a USB hub as well.

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
FWIW I used a USB 2.0 thumb drive today and it took about 2 hours but indeed worked without incident through a USB hub as well.
Interesting. So when you did the Option boot and picked the USB stick and got to the next screen and you picked the USB stick again, it booted with the Apple logo and the progress bar and it kept on going normally, obviously? I really wonder why mine just gets a few seconds of the progress bar and then goes off into the ozone. :confused:

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I really wonder why mine just gets a few seconds of the progress bar and then goes off into the ozone.
Might have something to do with USB power. I have encountered issues with USB devices going offline seemingly randomly. I do not have solid evidence but my latest theory is some Macs have not just a per port limitation but also a combined port power limitation. So, having several high power devices such as hard disks plugged into the USB ports can lead to problems. I have experienced when I disconnect them I can resolve my problem. A powered hub might also help in these situations.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Also, next time you try, disconnect ALL USB/TB peripherals and only have Mac Pro, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse connected.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
After installation you can connect all as you want, but to get through the install, I would keep it as basic as you can…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.