Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
The same document imported into Apple Pages scrolls adequately though not amazing (but the formatting is borked from the conversion so Pages isn't a real alternative).
You might want to try Libre Office. I find when I require better format compatibility than Pages offers, Libre Office often fills the void. Apple should incorporate some elements of Libre Office in Pages and contribute to the project.

buzuddha

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2023
Sorry, to be clear, I'm trying to stick with MS products to include the multi-editor functionality you get through Sharepoint and native support for docs. What I'm wondering is, would I get better performance if I went back to Monterey?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
It actually sounds like a “you” problem.

I just finished editing a 215 page Word document which included many formats, lots of tables, embedded graphics and pictures, basically everything you can think of. No issues whatsoever on my ‘13 Mac Pro running Ventura using OCLP. I also used my ’19 Mac Pro, as well as my ‘22 Mac Studio, and there was no difference in performance between the two Macs in editing this .DOCX document.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I just tried to install the Apple "Security Response" 13.4.1 on my '13 Mac Pro running Ventura 13.4.1 by way of OLP 0.6.7. It won't install, saying, "Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again." Every single time. I have tried restarting etc.

???

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I just tried to install the Apple "Security Response" 13.4.1 on my '13 Mac Pro running Ventura 13.4.1 by way of OLP 0.6.7. It won't install, saying, "Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again." Every single time. I have tried restarting etc.

???
Apple's Rapid Security Response updates only work on Haswell-equiped Macs (needs AVX 2.0 hardware) or later, and your 2013 Pro is based on the earlier Ivy Bridge architecture.

No way around this, even with OCLP.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008

Coselmann

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2023

Good news from OCLP Team! :)

Sonoma Development Milestone: 3802-based GPUs!​

Published on 18 July 2023 by Mykola Grymalyuk

We're extremely proud to announce that we've hit another major milestone with macOS Sonoma development: Metal Graphics Acceleration on 3802-based Graphics Cards, including Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell, and Nvidia Kepler GPUs!

Thanks to the amazing work of EduCovas and our other developers, our old Macs are even closer to running Sonoma!

This wouldn't have been possible without everyone's support through OpenCollective. Thanks to the donations, EduCovas was able to purchase development hardware that would normally be quite challenging to ship with customs and such. Having hardware on hand for development is critical, and greatly helps with turn around as EduCovas has shown by having their new Mac Pro for only a short period.

There's still a lot of work remaining, but we hoping to have early beta tests in the coming month once we get some of the larger obstacles cleared up. As with previous years, non-Metal graphics will likely be released a fair bit after due to the complex nature of re-introducing OpenGL rendering into macOS.

For those interested, our development can be followed on GitHub :
Otherwise, we hope everyone's excited for this fall!
- Mykola

plunger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2020
Melbourne

Good news from OCLP Team! :)

Sonoma Development Milestone: 3802-based GPUs!​

Published on 18 July 2023 by Mykola Grymalyuk

We're extremely proud to announce that we've hit another major milestone with macOS Sonoma development: Metal Graphics Acceleration on 3802-based Graphics Cards, including Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell, and Nvidia Kepler GPUs!

Thanks to the amazing work of EduCovas and our other developers, our old Macs are even closer to running Sonoma!

This wouldn't have been possible without everyone's support through OpenCollective. Thanks to the donations, EduCovas was able to purchase development hardware that would normally be quite challenging to ship with customs and such. Having hardware on hand for development is critical, and greatly helps with turn around as EduCovas has shown by having their new Mac Pro for only a short period.

There's still a lot of work remaining, but we hoping to have early beta tests in the coming month once we get some of the larger obstacles cleared up. As with previous years, non-Metal graphics will likely be released a fair bit after due to the complex nature of re-introducing OpenGL rendering into macOS.

For those interested, our development can be followed on GitHub :
Otherwise, we hope everyone's excited for this fall!
- Mykola
This thread is about running Ventura on a Mac Pro 6.1 with the aid of OCLP.

It's not about pre-beta progress with Sonoma.

• Haha
Reactions: Senseotech

profinite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
macOS Ventura 13.5 marches on with OCLP 0.6.7 on 2013 Mac Pro:
ventura.png

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
macOS Ventura 13.5 marches on with OCLP 0.6.7 on 2013 Mac Pro:

Does Ventura really have the graphics in it for these older Mac Pro models by default? Or just OCLP magic touches?

Amazing this is working. I’m still with 12.6.8 with mine.

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
I have no problem with any DRM playback ( both AppleTV and Music ). The screenshot app blacks out the playback, but it's there for sure.

OCLP 0.6.8

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 18.50.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 18.50.45.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: tahitibub

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I run Ventura 13.5 on my 2013 Mac Pro Trashcan, and have no problems with DRM... I use Music to play local files, as well as Apple files.

Reactions: tahitibub

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
It's written "DRM support is flaky", it's pretty vague.
Could we get some feedback from someone who has installed macOS 13.5 here?
There are still problems though they are not DRM specific. For instance, you cannot insert a JPEG into a Pages document.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Hi,
Thank you for the feedback.
This seems a very strange bug. Could you try with LibreOffice ?
That is a good suggestion to investigate. My initial thought is LibreOffice will likely work as I understand the problem is the Apple apps now use AVX2 instructions. The generation of CPU used in the MP 6,1 does not support AVX2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.