Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Does OCLP 6.2 with Ventura 13.3 restore any measure of D300/D500/D700 support?
0.6.2 added experimental support for the AMD GCN GPU's. But, I would not recommend 13.3 ... if you can get by with 13.2.1, stay on that until the 13.3 issues are addressed.

From the release notes:
  • Support for DRM on AMD GCN GPUs
    • ie. GCN 1 - 3, Polaris and Vega

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

fr4nk18

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
zurich
Ahhh, indeed you need to run Ventura.

Same as Monterey or Big Sur. Download OCLP and run it, use OCLP to download 13.2.1 and create a USB installer. Install the OCLP EFI on the USB. Boot the USB installer and install Ventura. Update the boot disk with OCLP EFI. Finally, apply the post install root patches. Viola, Ventura 13.2.1. I was running it for a week or two and it was running quite well after I ditched my Samsung 980 PRO and installed a Kingston Fury Renegade SSD. I upgraded to 13.3 when it was released but there are some issues that have come about due to some changes in 13.3 so we gotta wait for those issues to be fixed. Generally though, 13.2.1 runs well and the DRM issue was (partly, still experimental) fixed with OCLP 0.6.2. An outstanding issue for MP 6,1 is Intel Speed Step is not working properly and one core is running at 100%. Sleep was working for me.
My side i think drm issue solved and no vmm needed to run Ventura and normal speedstep functionalities will make me try it on an external tb2 disk atm on 13.2.1

however it looks devs are approaching some valuable solutions i am quite positive in a not too distant feature solution

crodgers79

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2023
Well I tried using OpenCore to load Ventura on my 6,1 (12-core, D500s), no dice. OpenCore says the unit is supported but I kept getting to the point where after it rebooted about 6 times and it comes to the last boot where it's going to boot Ventura off of the internal (Apple 1 Tb) SSD, it goes to show the first Ventura installation splash-screen and you can see (quickly, don't blink) the Ventura background flash on-screen and you can see the large centered text box, but the text box is empty except for the back button in the lower right, and then it flashes to a black screen, you get the beachball for about 20 seconds and then and issues an error message where the options are retry, ignore or report to Apple. Retry just repeats the whole process, ignore makes it black-screen and reboot. I wiped the internal SSD again and tried it a second time, same result (I spent about 3.5 hours on this today). In the end I just went back to Internet Reload of Monterey. I'll probably spend some more time researching why the OpenCore process failed but my guess is OpenCore support for the wacky video-cards this thing uses caused it problems rendering the opening Ventura screen..(?) I don't know, it just seems that way. Maybe it's because of my video setup? I hooked up a 32-inch LG 4K monitor to the trashcan. Anyway, tonight I'm back on Monterey and everything's working fine. Tempted to just stay on Monterey.. BTW, I'm not a Mac expert by any stretch, but I just did an upgrade to Ventura using OCLP on a MacBook Air 2015, and even though it took a long time, it worked without a problem.. thought it might go as smoothly with my "new" (just bought it off of eBay) Mac Pro 6,1 trashcan. FWIW the guy I bought the trashcan from refurbs Mac equipment and resells it, he seemed pretty knowledgeable - this particular trashcan had the 3 core CPU and he upgraded it to the 12-core CPU but the D500s and the 1Tb Apple SSD were stock. Like I said Monterey runs like a champ, no issues, my only interest in Ventura is in extending the life of the Mac Pro beyond 2024 (and I enjoy the technical challenge: I'm 62 years old, retired from 32 years in IT working for the U.S. Army supporting test and evaluation of weapon systems).

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Well I tried using OpenCore to load Ventura on my 6,1 (12-core, D500s), no dice. OpenCore says the unit is supported but I kept getting to the point where after it rebooted about 6 times and it comes to the last boot where it's going to boot Ventura off of the internal (Apple 1 Tb) SSD, it goes to show the first Ventura installation splash-screen and you can see (quickly, don't blink) the Ventura background flash on-screen and you can see the large centered text box, but the text box is empty except for the back button in the lower right, and then it flashes to a black screen, you get the beachball for about 20 seconds and then and issues an error message where the options are retry, ignore or report to Apple. Retry just repeats the whole process, ignore makes it black-screen and reboot. I wiped the internal SSD again and tried it a second time, same result (I spent about 3.5 hours on this today). In the end I just went back to Internet Reload of Monterey. I'll probably spend some more time researching why the OpenCore process failed but my guess is OpenCore support for the wacky video-cards this thing uses caused it problems rendering the opening Ventura screen..(?) I don't know, it just seems that way. Maybe it's because of my video setup? I hooked up a 32-inch LG 4K monitor to the trashcan. Anyway, tonight I'm back on Monterey and everything's working fine. Tempted to just stay on Monterey.. BTW, I'm not a Mac expert by any stretch, but I just did an upgrade to Ventura using OCLP on a MacBook Air 2015, and even though it took a long time, it worked without a problem.. thought it might go as smoothly with my "new" (just bought it off of eBay) Mac Pro 6,1 trashcan. FWIW the guy I bought the trashcan from refurbs Mac equipment and resells it, he seemed pretty knowledgeable - this particular trashcan had the 3 core CPU and he upgraded it to the 12-core CPU but the D500s and the 1Tb Apple SSD were stock. Like I said Monterey runs like a champ, no issues, my only interest in Ventura is in extending the life of the Mac Pro beyond 2024 (and I enjoy the technical challenge: I'm 62 years old, retired from 32 years in IT working for the U.S. Army supporting test and evaluation of weapon systems).
I have a 6.1 and I’m happily staying on Monterey. It seem with every new version of Ventura there are new obstacles to overcome.

Monterey will be supported with security updates for a while to come.

The general advice I have seen on these forums is to stay on Ventura 13.2.1

profinite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
With OpenCore-Patcher 0.6.5, macOS Ventura 13.4 installed without an issue on my 2013 Mac Pro:
ventura34.png

I want to thank all of you who work hard to keep OCLP current.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I just successfully upgraded my Mac Pro '13 to Ventura 13.4.

I have a relatively complex installation with many attached TB devices, including a Sonnet PCIe expansion box with Network and Storage cards. I have lots of software and use several Cloud and iCloud solutions. I also use Parallels to run a Windows 10 installation, which is installed on my BootCamp partition, and it all seems to work...

Using OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.6.5, I followed the guide and installed the latest version of Ventura 13.4.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2023
I don't know why I have problems with external drives. Either the system throws them away without warning or I have slow transfers. Do you have any ideas? I'm already tired of 45MB/s on NVME and similar highlights. It started with Monterey and Ventura didn't help. Hardware test says everything works beautifully. Ventura works like a dream but these drives....

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I don't know why I have problems with external drives. Either the system throws them away without warning or I have slow transfers. Do you have any ideas? I'm already tired of 45MB/s on NVME and similar highlights. It started with Monterey and Ventura didn't help. Hardware test says everything works beautifully. Ventura works like a dream but these drives....
Are they Samsung drives?

Coselmann

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2023
Are they Samsung drives?
WD BLACK SN770 1TB and 2TB. The 2TB one is an internal drive and goes relatively fast but the 1TB in an enclosure is a roulette. The other drive is an APPLE SSD SM0512F in an Envy enclosure. It also goes slightly faster than the 1TB WD but is thrown off by the system from time to time. When I use it as a downloads drive on the system and it is configured with Safari then it often gets ejected when downloading a file.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
it often gets ejected when downloading a file
Are both enclosures Thunderbolt? It might help the debugging if you list additional details including computer model, macOS version, enclosure models, cables specs and brand, etc.

Not sure why the OWC Envoy with the Apple SSD would randomly disconnect. Are you using the cable that OWC included with the Envoy or something else? Do you have a Thunderbolt dock or hub in your setup?

Coselmann

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2023
Are both enclosures Thunderbolt? It might help the debugging if you list additional details including computer model, macOS version, enclosure models, cables specs and brand, etc.

Not sure why the OWC Envoy with the Apple SSD would randomly disconnect. Are you using the cable that OWC included with the Envoy or something else? Do you have a Thunderbolt dock or hub in your setup?
Thanks for your reply.
One of the enclosures I'm testing is an ASUS TUF Gaming A1-USB-C 3.2 Gen 2x1 SSD and I'm using a USB-C to USB 3.1 cable with it, while the other is a UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure. Enty comes with a MICRO USB 3.1 cable and they are the original cables. An additional attraction is that if the external drive is plugged in the system charges very reluctantly. If I remove it the charging is instantaneous. As for the configuration I post it in the screenshot. I am now changing the RAM to 128GB. And that will be the only difference. Previous system was Monterey 12.6.6.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 20.27.14.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 20.27.14.png
    66 KB · Views: 64

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Power management with Ventura seems to be finally solved with today's OCLP 0.6.6 release:

Repository: dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher · Tag: 0.6.6 · Commit: a5319bf · Released by: khronokernel

With WWDC2023 2 weeks away, we're eagerly awaiting for macOS 14 to be announced! Do keep in mind that supporting new versions of macOS is an intensive process, so we cannot predict when (or potentially if) support will be added to OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Regardless, we're excited to try and see our old Macs run the latest OS!

Otherwise, this release of OpenCore Legacy Patcher contains a ton of new features:

• New UI layout
  • In-App update installation
    • Easier for users to update from 0.6.6 to newer Patcher releases
  • Quicker root patching on older hardware
    • Reduced extraction times for PatcherSupportPkg
  • Resolves low power mode support for 2013 Mac Pro
  • Resolve AMD TeraScale 1 Graphics Corruption in macOS Ventura
And many more improvements and fixes listed in the changelog below.

Thx a lot OCLP developers and testers for all the work done!

Btw, there are minor DRM issues still to be solved.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
One of the enclosures I'm testing is an ASUS TUF Gaming A1-USB-C 3.2 Gen 2x1 SSD and I'm using a USB-C to USB 3.1 cable with it, while the other is a UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure.
I suspect the slow 45MB/s speed is because the drive is connecting at USB 2.0 speed of 480 Mbps. You can check this in your System Info ... it will tell you how the USB device enumerated and report the speed of your device in the Hardware USB section.

Some USB-C to USB 3 cables and adapters are not USB 3 compatible and they connect only as USB 2.0. You want to confirm the cable/adapter you are using is actually compatible with USB 3 and USB 3 power (there should be a small chip embedded in the cable or the adapter).

Some (most?) cables and adapters have an issue where the orientation of the USB-C connector is important. Rotating the USB-C connector 180 degrees allows the device to enumerate as USB 3.0 at 5Gbps. I had this issue with my MP 6,1 when attempting to connect an external enclosure with a USB-C cable and USB-C to USB-A adapter. I rotated the USB-C connector and that fixed the issue for me.

Regarding the disconnects, I think that may be power related. When connected as USB 2.0, there would be insufficient power delivery for sustained data transfers to an external NVMe drive. Using the correct cable/adapter should enable the higher power delivery for the device and it should be more reliable.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I have no idea. It should be possible, but I will say I have never been successful in installing macOS on an external drive, and I tried a few times on my '13 Mac Pro, as well as on my '19 Mac Pro. Now with the speeds of the internal storage int he Mac Studio, it's just not worth it.

Reactions: TheNZRichard

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
This recent news is remarkable. Major props to everyone involved with these recent fixes.

Given the cheap Trash Cans on eBay I am getting tempted again!

What is the most compatible config for the current OCLP 0.6.6? Is there any difference in compatibility between the AMD FirePro D300/D500/D700 models, for example?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
What is the most compatible config for the current OCLP 0.6.6? Is there any difference in compatibility between the AMD FirePro D300/D500/D700 models, for example?

D300 models are the most problematic ones, hardware and drivers wise, avoid.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.