Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I just installed Ventura 13.2 on my MacPro 6,1. Everything works without problems. I only had a wifi problem but my eth works fine. No problems on installing.
You are mistaken, Power Management and DRM still does not work even with yesterday OCLP 0.6.2 Nightly - it's clearly noted with the commits.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Except, that may not affect his usage in Ventura. Power Management is not necessary to run and use the Mac, and DRM is content based.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Except, that may not affect his usage in Ventura. Power Management is not necessary to run and use the Mac, and DRM is content based.
Sure, but since most people never read the release notes, this need to be clearly noted here or they will think that now everything works, which is not correct.

Support of Ventura with AX2-less Macs is beta for the majority of Macs and alpha for late-2013 Mac Pro.

Pierluigi.tac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Which OCLP version did you start with, when you initially installed Ventura on your Mac Pro?

Did you install it on the internal disk, and did you do a fresh install or an upgrade to an existing Monterey?

TIA
I make an update from Monterey use an external disk i install ventura on external disk and after i patched it. The macs works well without any problem. The update was perfect. Drm doesn’t involve any activity. So for the moment everything is ok. I will update here on usage.

profinite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
macpro.png

Success!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hmmm your Macpro has 128gb but Apple says only 64gb ram are supported. And alsways Apple says that the supported ram is ECC DDR3 1866 mhz ...
When you install a 32GB DIMM, the memory controller frequency is downgraded back to 1066MHz.

It's a compromise, you can double the RAM capacity of the late-2013 Mac Pro, up to 128GB of RAM support when four 32GB DIMMs are installed, but at lower frequency.

For a lot of people, more RAM even with lower frequency still gives more performance = job completed with less time.

plunger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2020
Melbourne
View attachment 2102970

Tonight, OCLP team (thx @khronokernel) started supporting MacPro6,1 and Ventura for the first time:

View attachment 2102971
View attachment 2102974

OCLP 0.5.1 Nightly brought Ventura support for the late-2013 Mac Pro. Somethings don't yet work, like DRM and CPU power management (Ventura is running with the VMM flag enabled), but besides that, it's fast/stable and the installation is fully automatic:

View attachment 2102975
View attachment 2102973

DRM is one of the two major bummers right now and nothing (really nothing) that demands DRM with Safari works, Netflix asks for Silverlight for example:

View attachment 2102972

The other major bummer is the missing macOS CPU power management - no Intel SpeedStep, so the CPU is always clocked from the nominal to the Turbo frequency with no SpeedStep down clock when the CPU is idle - this generation of Xeon processors can down clock to 1,1GHz when idle.

Sleep works, fan works - the SMC works and is independent of the CPU power management by macOS, so the fan works as expected. While you are not in CPU load, no greater heat is generated, even without SpeedStep working at this moment.

Apple removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from Ventura, and OCLP devs are waiting for Apple to publish the XNU sources to start re-implementing it (edit 20221103: Apple already released the XNU sources xnu-8792.41.9 for Ventura GM) - the workaround to begin supporting the late-2013 was setting the VMM flag and running Ventura as a VM.

As of OCLP 0.6.2 nightly, same issues still present with late-2013 Mac Pro.
How come DRM and CPU power management are supported on MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 but not MacPro6,1?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
How come DRM and CPU power management are supported on MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 but not MacPro6,1?

It's not just that, but the two things that does not have workarounds are these two. Btw, MacPro6,1 is a XCPM Mac.

For details, read the open issues below:

Reactions: loby

TheDonut125

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Do you think it is better off to wait for future update to get PowerManagment resolved or would the machine be fine running in the mean time?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Except for Advanced Data Protection, Passkeys, shared iCloud Library, Stage Manager, and a ton of updates to security...

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Curious to know if there’s been any progress on potentially fixing the DRM issues on the Mac Pro 2013.

Nothing changed, same issues with MacPro6,1. You can read the OCLP change logs for each release to know the progress, or currently the lack of it. ;)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
This week there was some progress with macOS 12+ dyld cache extractor - this is indirect, but extremely important for GPU/Wi-Fi drivers and METAL compiler support. Unfortunately, nothing directly related to MacPro6,1 that I know from reading the change logs and commits.

Reactions: polaxgr

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I noticed a post dated a bit more than a week ago posted to the Ventura on Unsupported Mac's thread that he submitted some fixes for the power management issue:

hey everyone just wanted to give a quick up for those who have the Late-2013 Mac Pro 6,1. I have applied some fixes to get power management back under control. As most of you know its kinda broken at the moment. I wil be passing all my stuff over to the OCLP team to decide if they want to implement or not.

I cannot see a PR on the OCLP Github repo related to this.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
0.6.2 release notes also mention that DRM is being patched.

• Implement Hardware Encoding support for AMD GCN 1-3, Polaris and Vega GPUs
    • Applicable for pre-Haswell Macs on macOS Ventura
    • Resolves DRM playback issues on Netflix, Disney+, etc.
      • Note: GCN 1-3 DRM is functional, however hardware video encoding is still experimental
        • AppleTV+ may be unstable due to this

Reactions: steve123

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
I’m aware that there are still crippling issues with the MacPro6,1, Ventura and OCLP; but they are so cheap used that I am tempted to get one as a playtoy. Can someone say which hardware config is currently the most compatible with the existing state of OCLP support? I’m assuming the GPU model would be the biggest issue (are there any issues with different CPU models?).

If I don’t need to play DRM’ed media and don’t put my Macs to sleep, will it mostly be OK on Ventura?

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
As i had used Hackintosh before my MBA M2 i had just used Firefox for any DRM Related stuff and the Sun is shining.

But i had working Graphics Acceleration.
There might lay the reason older MP 5,1 may work better cause you can just change the Grafic Card.

I still use Firefox for Netflix / Amazon and can not see any reason to do different now on the MBA M2, it is just running better.

But the Power Usage of an Old MP 6,1 with no CPU Power Management would bother me.
There is a CPUfriend extension / kext where i wonder that this would not work on PM 6,1 but there is also the possibility that the absense of AVX2 in the capabilities of the CPU can brake so much more that i would not use a System with Ventura on a Platform with missing AVX2 Cpu anywhay.

So i guess there is no big Hope for this, it will allways be a compromise.

Dropped CPU Support

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
If I don’t need to play DRM’ed media and don’t put my Macs to sleep, will it mostly be OK on Ventura?
Sleep works fine for me ... in fact, I think it is the first time I have experienced sleep working reliably on my MP 6,1 in years. The Power Management issue is related to Intel Speed Step which slows the clock when the processor is idle. I also noticed that one of my cores (Core 1) is constantly running at 100%. I am not sure if the core running at 100% is a consequence of running macOS in a VM (VMM is on) or as a Reddit user suggested, related to the Power Management issue as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riot Nrrrd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.