Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Post-install root patching is a requirement for GPU drivers/acceleration to work, without GPU drivers is just unaccelerated EFI fail safe driver driving the display.

OCLP will only root patch where you installed it, it won't root patch your other macOS installs.

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
AFAIK, some of these rely on VideoToolBox H.265 acceleration which AMD Tahiti GPUs do not have at all - Tahiti GPUs are from early 2012, announced in December 2011, years before HEVC/H.265 hardware acceleration (HEVC/H.265 hardware assistance started to be supported with Macs/VideoToolBox API with Polaris GPUs). Maybe with eGPU.

There is talk on GitHub to add the Tahiti UVD3.2/H.264 hardware acceleration to the Apple VideoToolBox API, but I don't know how the H.265 requirement will be solved or even if the H.264 support helps anything besides video decoding/encoding/editing.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Doing some reading and I think this applies to Side Car only. Universal control is supported and requires hardware spoofing: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCor...n/docs/UNIVERSALCONTROL.md#blacklisted-models

I'm guessing Airplay to Mac should work, and this is what I would make use of the most - remotely controlling Apple Music on the Mac from an iPhone.

Reactions: dabotsonline

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Success
Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 10.12.27 PM.png

Last edited:

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
The other week I had installed Ventura on a spare SSD I had (the original 256GB one that it came with) in my Mac Pro 6,1 and while it worked fine, I noticed the Intel Power Gadget app was no longer showing me any data, I presumed that was due to the lack of CPU management. I today upgraded my main NVMe to Ventura (in-place upgrade) with the nightly 0.5.2 build of OCLP and it's not only running great, but the Intel Power Gadget now shows me plenty of data. This is working really well.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.37.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.37.37 PM.png

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
@emmab2006 looks like the MCA error you get with your E5-2667 v2 is not a general problem when it is even working in Ventura for @KD7IWP … Thanks for the update!
In regard to the CPU power management:
Power management resolved by removing intel_cpupm_matching check in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
One other thing: I think only one GPU (Dual D300) was detected in 0.5.1 - I wonder if this has been fixed?
But I‘m still impressed they got the “Legacy Metal“ drivers to work at all.
The MP6,1 with D300 is/was additionally problematic: 2013 Mac Pro and macOS Ventura Boot Issues #1009

Last edited:

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
@emmab2006 looks like the MCA error you get with your E5-2667 v2 is not a general problem when it is even working in Ventura for @KD7IWP … Thanks for the update!

One other thing: I think only one GPU (Dual D300) was detected in 0.5.1 - I wonder if this has been fixed?
The MP6,1 with D300 is/was additionally problematic: 2013 Mac Pro and macOS Ventura Boot Issues #1009
Thanks for pointing out they addressed the CPU Power Management issue, I kept looking to issue #1009 to see when they had addressed it.

FREEMILK

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2022

Hi, kind of new to this OCLP, stuff, I am on a MP 6,1 12c d700s, I would like to get this kext file installed and setup, I dont see this file on my system 13.0.1, Where can i get the file to inject? thank you.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

Power Management was not addressed yet, it's just showing the CPU info with Intel Power Gadget now. If PM/SpeedStep was working, @KD7IWP CORE MIN should be 1.1GHz with the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 15.47.46.png

Ventura still runs as a VM.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Oh, ok, thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize there was still more to it.
The section I quoted was from Broken Power Management on Ivy Bridge and older.
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 17.21.26.png

The workaround for this issue above was booting as a VM bypassing the missing power management, AFAIK, no changes for MacPro6,1 yet and no SpeedStep support (when SpeedStep is enabled and working, the CPU clock can go as low as 1,1GHz).

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
No. Ventura (or any macOS installer) doesn't contain a firmware for an unsupported model.
So in this case no spoofing with OpenCore to prevent a firmware update is necessary.
Newer models than the MP6,1 (like Macs with T2 chips and probably all AS ones) may need internet access to download additional stuff (firmware?) before a macOS update can continue. (I don't have any insight what is actually happening).
If you do want the latest (public) firmware for the MP6,1, the safest way is to install the latest supported version of macOS - in this case Monterey 12.6.1.
on a apple ssd only.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
I ran OCLP on my 2013 tonight. Pretty much flawless installation and went off without a hitch. So far it works great. One new thing I see is an icon in the upper taskbar is what looks like a PCIe slot card from the early days of MacOS X. Is there a way to hide this? I’m assuming it’s seeing the GPUs as their PCIe connections.
image.jpg

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I ran OCLP on my 2013 tonight. Pretty much flawless installation and went off without a hitch. So far it works great. One new thing I see is an icon in the upper taskbar is what looks like a PCIe slot card from the early days of MacOS X. Is there a way to hide this? I’m assuming it’s seeing the GPUs as their PCIe connections. View attachment 2133640
I’ve been wondering what that is for as well. It’s been there ever since I did the upgrade.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
I ran OCLP on my 2013 tonight. Pretty much flawless installation and went off without a hitch. So far it works great. One new thing I see is an icon in the upper taskbar is what looks like a PCIe slot card from the early days of MacOS X. Is there a way to hide this? I’m assuming it’s seeing the GPUs as their PCIe connections. View attachment 2133640
I believe it's detecting it as PCIe. Also how are you finding it? Is the no DRM and CPU Management I presume the fans are always kicking off?

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I believe it's detecting it as PCIe. Also how are you finding it? Is the no DRM and CPU Management I presume the fans are always kicking off?
It’s working great! I don’t ever do anything that needs DRM so that is not an issue. I think I posted earlier in this thread with a phot from the Intel Power Widget that shows the processor speed still changes (Turboboost). Someone replied that it never throttles down below its minimum 3.3ghz though, without power management. It is possible it runs hotter than previously but I have Macs Fan Control running since I don’t like it getting as hot as it does out of the box (especially because I had to reflow one of the D500s and I’m hoping keeping it a bit cooler will let the GPU live longer). I wouldn’t go back!

One long standing issue for me has been resolved. My iPhone and Mac constantly would fight over whose faces were tagged in my iCloud library. I would set it up correctly on the Mac or iPhone and my Mac would later untag many photos of my daughter (including the one that was her key photo). It’s done this for years but no longer after Ventura. Perhaps they face detection algorithm was different on the iPhone from the Mac?

Last edited:

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
It’s working great! I don’t ever do anything that needs DRM so that is not an issue. I think I posted earlier in this thread with a phot from the Intel Power Widget that shows the processor speed still changes (Turboboost). Someone replied that it never throttles down below its minimum 3.3ghz though, without power management. It is possible it runs hotter than previously but I have Macs Fan Control running since I don’t like it getting as hot as it does out of the box (especially because I had to reflow one of the D500s and I’m hoping keeping it a bit cooler will let the GPU live longer). I wouldn’t go back!

One long standing issue for me has been resolved. My iPhone and Mac constantly would fight over whose faces were tagged in my iCloud library. I would set it up correctly on the Mac or iPhone and my Mac would later untag many photos of my daughter (including the one that was her key photo). It’s done this for years but no longer after Ventura. Perhaps they face detection algorithm was different on the iPhone from the Mac?
I’m thinking I might just hold off until they do release the fix for the 2 issues. I know 0.5.4 is nearing release soon from all the updates they’re doing on github.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.