Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brecode

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
Has anyone checked the cpu utilization?

I am getting high CPU (100% or more sometimes) on kernel_task process.

Anyone experience the same?

stevebatter

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
Thank you to all the continued hard work getting Ventura to work on MP 6,1 - you're all heroes in my book! I'd love to keep mine going for a few years longer before buying the a new MP.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
This is mainly because the CPU management isn't working
I do not believe this is correct. My understanding is that without CPU management the OS cannot tell the CPU to throttle down when not needed. My 6,1 Mac Pro running Ventura certainly does not run at 100% CPU with the kernel task all the time. It also regularly modifies its frequency between 3.3-4ghz as it should (E5 2667-V2). See post 31 where I posted a photo of Intel Power Gadget showing the CPU speed fluctuate.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
ah, ok, I had no 6.1 in my hands, yet. Anyway forcing the turbo mode by giving load to 1 core can help for a quick diagnoses.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
Update:
On a hunch I did a complete wipe of the drive from the macOS installer. And tried two methods.
First method:
Install Ventura to a clean drive (install Ventura from the prepared USB drive and then install patches) and restore from a Time Machine backup that was before the Ventura upgrade. No dice, did not want to restart from the SSD after the Time Machine restore. I think it brought over incompatible files.
Method 2:
Install Ventura to a clean drive (install patches, verify it works) then restore with Carbon Copy Cloner from a Carbon Copy of the old drive. First start-up was a bit slow but it worked 100% 🥳. All patches were in place and everything worked. All I had to do was sign into my AppleID.

What I learned from this process is you cannot restore from a Time Machine back-up. It needs to be restored from a Carbon Copy Clone for everything to work.

I had a bit of an issue. My SSD in my MacPro has been having issues. I have made a direct clone of the SSD with CCC of the Data partition. Once that was done I then reinstalled Ventura. Before making a copy I rolled back the root patches. After starting up the first time into Ventura I get the notice from Open Core to install the root patches, which I do. It moves through the process and then at the end I get an error:

- Unable to build new kernel cache

Reason for Patch Failure (71):

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Unable to resolve dependencies: 'com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboardEmbedded' names a dependency on 'com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily', which was not found." UserInfo=(NSLocalizedDescription=Unableto resolve dependencies:

'com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboardEmbedded' names a dependency on 'com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily', which was not found.) checking collections...

Warning: com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList was not found! updated kernel binaries (macho-o UUID changed from <unknown> to <unknown>)

rebuilding release collections: boot, system rebuilding release collections:

boot kernel collection system kext collection

failed to build release collection:

Unable to resolve dependencies:

'com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboardEmbedded' names a dependency on 'com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily', which was not

I've tried rolling back the root patches again and then tried to reapply them. Removing and reapplying them works on the old drive which this drive is a clone of in the data partition. Would rolling back to a previous version of OCLP resolve the issue?

Last edited:

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
My work just issued an edict that everyone needs to upgrade to macOS Ventura by Valentine's Day (5 weeks from now).

Anyone care to speculate what the state of OCLP on the MacPro6,1 might be by that point? Usable? Completely unusable?

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
My work just issued an edict that everyone needs to upgrade to macOS Ventura by Valentine's Day (5 weeks from now).

Anyone care to speculate what the state of OCLP on the MacPro6,1 might be by that point? Usable? Completely unusable?
If you have 2013 MacPros in production they better have the budget to look into replacing them with MacStudios. Most places I’ve heard from other MacAdmins are replacing their current fleet of MacPros with those or a MacMini. No Enterprise worth their reputation will allow something like OCLP in the environment. If if it proposed, GTFO. That is not a place I would work.

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
If you have 2013 MacPros in production they better have the budget to look into replacing them with Mac Studios. Most places I’ve heard from other Mac Admins are replacing their current fleet of MacPros with those or a Mac mini. No Enterprise worth their reputation will allow something like OCLP in the environment. If if is proposed, GTFO. That is not a place I would work.
No one is proposing using OCLP other than me. The problem is that I don't think I can get a Mac Studio through our replenishment/Procurement cycle in 5 weeks' time; and more to the point, the only system I would really need to replenish my current "Trash Can" with is a M2-powered Mac mini, which doesn't exist yet. So I'm in a bind.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
No one is proposing using OCLP other than me. The problem is that I don't think I can get a Mac Studio through our replenishment/Procurement cycle in 5 weeks' time; and more to the point, the only system I would really need to replenish my current "Trash Can" with is a M2-powered Mac mini, which doesn't exist yet. So I'm in a bind.
I wouldn't use it in an Enterprise production environment. You have no recourse if it fails and restoration of data from a backup is quite the process (refer to my post above). If I were your MacAdmin and you pulled this I'd lock the machine down probably ask you to wipe the machine and reinstall macOS Monterey.Then make 100% sure you couldn't do the upgrade or installation of OCLP via the MDM (one hopes you have one). Installation of an OS with a method like OCLP is just as bad as keeping an old macOS around. I've dealt with users who "claim" they are more productive on an OS as old as Sierra/Hgh Sierra/Mojave. Sometimes even the promise of a new Mac will not get them to consider upgrading.

Your best bet is to have your company procure a MacStudio and use macOS Monterey. It's still supported and will receive security patches for at least 3 more years. Do not, for your MacAdmins sake, install OCLP on your work MacPro that is currently in production. Some places I have worked, this would end up being immediate firing because you altered a piece of work equipment.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I would first talk to an admin if you have one and see what their thoughts are, though ultimately I think @roto1231 has the best advice. I've been using OCLP on my Mac Pro 6,1 for almost 2 months and it has worked well and I'm completely satisfied with it, but it's just a personal machine. No way would I be doing that with a work machine unless it was a bring your own device environment, wasn't part of their network, etc. And if it failed I would need to have the ability to immediately continue working on another machine.

Reactions: roto1231

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
Hello.

Researching OpenCore for MacPro 6,1 trashcan

shows

- CPU Power Management currently unsupported
- No DRM support

Does this mean, computer will not go to sleep or will not ramp up the fan when needed?
Does it mean iTunes or AppleTV will not function?

They just released 0.6.0 but don’t see them mentioning a fix for this. And I believe yes that’s the issue

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
The computer still goes to sleep, and TurboBoost appears to work. I think it's "SpeedStep" that doesn't work and the CPU doesn't drop below it's normal non-TurboBoost speed. At least that's sort of how it appears to operate for me in the Intel Power Gadget. I will say that my Mac Pro 6,1 hasn't been particularly reliable at waking from sleep but for all I know it could be because of the GPU that I reflowed with a heat gun back in the summer...

One thing that surprised me the other day was I put the original memory stick back in the machine (I normally run an NVMe with adapter internally) and wanted to install Monterey on it and when I did internet recovery it would only download Mavericks and I can't find a way to get it to update. I downloaded a newer a copy of Big Sur and a copy of Monterey but when I tried to open the installer packages it said there was a problem verifying them. Does anyone know if OpenCore modifies anything on the machine beyond on the SSD itself? The App Store won't let me download any other OS's that I've downloaded in the past, and most websites won't load (presumably because the Safari version is so old?). Do I need to uninstall OpenCore somehow before I move to a different SSD? My M2 Mac Mini is supposed to come next week and then I'd like to sell this but want it to have a supported OS installed.

Natalia22

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
One thing that surprised me the other day was I put the original memory stick back in the machine (I normally run an NVMe with adapter internally) and wanted to install Monterey on it and when I did internet recovery it would only download Mavericks and I can't find a way to get it to update. I downloaded a newer a copy of Big Sur and a copy of Monterey but when I tried to open the installer packages it said there was a problem verifying them.
Hi! Mavericks is an embedded operating system for 6.1 with the Mac OS Extended file system. Try installing Mavericks, then upgrade to High Sierra (APFS). Perhaps after that it will be possible to install Big Sur or Monterey.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Before "upgrading" my trusty old 2013 Mac Pro (3.5GHz/6c/D700), can someone confirm that using OCP 0.6.1 I can upgrade to Ventura 13.2, and "most" things will work? I am looking to do this,so I can upgrade to Advanced Data Protection, which only works with iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, macOS 13.1, and watchOS 9.2...

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Before "upgrading" my trusty old 2013 Mac Pro (3.5GHz/6c/D700), can someone confirm that using OCP 0.6.1 I can upgrade to Ventura 13.2, and "most" things will work?

It's not production ready. At best, OCLP right now offers beta support for any AVX2-less Macs, do not upgrade your late-2013 Mac Pro without a way to go back to Monterey.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
My 2013 Mac Pro is just a leftover machine, not used for anything important. It has a bunch of crap on it, and I am only wondering what will not work if I go the OCLP/Ventura path...

I'd leave it on Monterey if Advanced Data Protection would work. Unfortunately, ADP only works on Ventura 13.2, and I either have to take my Mac Pro off iCloud, or update it to Ventura.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My 2013 Mac Pro is just a leftover machine, not used for anything important. It has a bunch of crap on it, and I am only wondering what will not work if I go the OCLP/Ventura path...

I'd leave it on Monterey if Advanced Data Protection would work. Unfortunately, ADP only works on Ventura 13.2, and I either have to take my Mac Pro off iCloud, or update it to Ventura.
Everything listed on the first post still do not work, nothing changed. Install on an external disk and check if it's good enough for you - it's not for me, at least yet.

Pierluigi.tac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
I just installed Ventura 13.2 on my MacPro 6,1. Everything works without problems. I only had a wifi problem but my eth works fine. No problems on installing.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I just installed Ventura 13.2 on my MacPro 6,1. Everything works without problems. I only had a wifi problem but my eth works fine. No problems on installing.
Which OCLP version did you start with, when you initially installed Ventura on your Mac Pro?

Did you install it on the internal disk, and did you do a fresh install or an upgrade to an existing Monterey?

TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.