Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I’m not familiar with VMM. Is it related to the OpenCore CPUID kern.hv_vmm_present patch
I am not sure. I understand that "VMM" refers to the VMM Flag of the Intel processor and this flag indicates the VM state of the processor. The devs had to use a VM to boot macOS but I do not clearly recall what that solved. I think it had something to do with the missing AVX2 instructions but I am not certain.

EDIT: I looked further into this and the VMM enhancement was done to eliminate SMC spoofing and enable OTA updates. So, using OCLP with VMM on is recommended unless you are running a very old Mac that does not support Apple Hypervisor.

Last edited:

Jas2200

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Everywhere
I just updated to 13.3 and safari keeps crashing. Anyone having a similar issue? What can be done to solve this?

Edit: Finder as well.

Last edited:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I just updated to 13.3 and safari keeps crashing. Anyone having a similar issue? What can be done to solve this?

Edit: Finder as well.
Same here; if I install root patches, most apps crash immediately, if I revert them, apps work but no graphics acceleration. Ive tried disabling AMFI with no change either 😕

tanoanian

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Like many, I neglected to read the release notes before updating the open core legacy patcher 0.6.2 / 13.3.

With macOS 13.3, Apple broke support for the legacy 3802-based Metal GPUs. With OpenCore Legacy patcher v0.6.2, we've been able to restore support for the following models...

The 6,1 is not on the list of supported models and was excluded for whatever reason. I have no video but can type in my password based on audio feedback and the fan control software loading. I'm running Monterey/windows 11 until they add support for the 6,1. (hopefully soon)

Jas2200

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Everywhere
Same here; if I install root patches, most apps crash immediately, if I revert them, apps work but no graphics acceleration. Ive tried disabling AMFI with no change either 😕
I took the opportunity to do a clean install. Which I did not do the first. I reverted back to the previous until

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I took the opportunity to do a clean install. Which I did not do the first. I reverted back to the previous until
Thinking this is my best bet also; did you do a clean install of 13.3 or 13.2? I still have 13.2 ready to go on a USB drive, but if 13.3 worked on a clean install for you, I may prep another drive to try that.

Jas2200

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Everywhere
Are you talking about this?

• Resolve boot support for 3802-based GPUs with macOS 13.3
    • Applicable for following GPUs:
      • Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell iGPUs
      • Nvidia Kepler dGPUs
    • Note: patchset now requires AMFI to be disabled, patchset still in active development to remove this requirement

fr4nk18

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
zurich
The lists of issue are piling up more than down
Sometime when i get paranoid it looks is done by purposte from our stepmother Apple however is just my impression
I would really like to have my macpro updated to a ff ventura tbh i am quite dubios about
Hope the wunderbar developers out will make it real

kudos and cheers

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
The lists of issue are piling up more than down
Sometime when i get paranoid it looks is done by purposte from our stepmother Apple however is just my impression
I would really like to have my macpro updated to a ff ventura tbh i am quite dubios about
Hope the wunderbar developers out will make it real

kudos and cheers

Very similar thing happened - albeit nothing was so daunting as the AVX 2.0 requirement of Ventura - with Big Sur and MacPro5,1. Slowly workarounds were found/developed for the major issues and eventually Big Sur 11.5 started to run without any problems with a MacPro5,1.

While the Ventura AVX 2.0 requirement is certainly more complex to be fully solved, since several subsystems now are compiled to use AVX 2.0, progress overall is being made.

Btw, no one should run Ventura with the main disk of a MacPro6,1, doing that is literally to ask for problems every time Apple changes something. Right now 13.3 is unusable for most people with a MacPro6,1.

Reactions: Jas2200 and arw

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Very similar thing happened - albeit nothing was so daunting as the AVX 2.0 requirement of Ventura - with Big Sur and MacPro5,1. Slowly workarounds were found/developed for the major issues and eventually Big Sur 11.5 started to run without any problems with a MacPro5,1.
The news about a regression with Ventura 13.3 on MacPro6,1 is very disconcerting. :(

But - and sorry for the non-trash can Mac digression - I have to ask about this ("Big Sur 11.5 started to run without any problems [on] a MacPro5.1").

Last I knew, if I were to use OCLP to install Catalina or newer on my cheese grater Mid 2010 MacPro5,1 I would lose the ability to use my iSight FireWire camera and, more importantly to me (as I have an Apple RAID Card and 4x2TB SATA drives), Apple's RAID Utility app would no longer work. Isn't that still the case?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Last I knew, if I were to use OCLP to install Catalina or newer on my cheese grater Mid 2010 MacPro5,1 I would lose the ability to use my iSight FireWire camera and, more importantly to me (as I have an Apple RAID Card and 4x2TB SATA drives), Apple's RAID Utility app would no longer work. Isn't that still the case?

Same thing happens with all Macs, Apple do not continue to provide support/drivers for dropped/unsupported hardware and when something changes that break drivers, like the move from kernel extensions to DriverKit, is the end for the hardware unless other developers try to support it/find workarounds to make it working.

AppleRAID was dropped back with the last release of Mojave when MacPro5,1 official support ended and while you can still run it with Catalina, it's not possible to do with Big Sur. iSight was discontinued from sale back in 2006, it was just sheer luck that it continued to work for so much time after. AFAIK no developer was interested in trying to make it work again, so, RIP to both.

Btw, D300/D500/D700 official support ended with Monterey - Ventura do not support AMD GCN GPUs anymore and drivers were removed from day one already.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2023
It's weird when feel a pity for MacPro users 6.1 but it's can be easy to understand from the point of its design and why not so many users want to support. The ride will come to an end soon.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
With all the posts and all the trial’n’errror, can someone summarise the situation. My 2013 Mac Pro is just sitting around, barely getting used, and I’d love to slap 13.3 on it just to see what happens, but I am not a very technical guy…

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The summary is we all need to wait for the (amazing) devs to work their magic. Hopefully one day they will iron out all the bugs and then it will be safe to install.

Im curious why not installing Ventura would seriously impact you Mac use (for now)? I have it on my laptop and it does have some nice features, but nothing transformative… all my apps still work as they always have on my Mac Pro.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Except you can't turn on Advanced Data Protection using anything but macOS Ventura.

I use iCloud across ALL my Apple devices, and the 2013 Mac Pro is the ONLY one I can't sign into iCloud on. So without Ventura on my 2013 Mac Pro, I can't access iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendars, iCloud Drive, etc., and as a matter of fact, as I have turned on ADP, I can't even sign into the App Store with my Apple ID.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Except you can't turn on Advanced Data Protection using anything but macOS Ventura.
Ahhh, indeed you need to run Ventura.

And the process to install it on the 2013 Mac Pro is...?
Same as Monterey or Big Sur. Download OCLP and run it, use OCLP to download 13.2.1 and create a USB installer. Install the OCLP EFI on the USB. Boot the USB installer and install Ventura. Update the boot disk with OCLP EFI. Finally, apply the post install root patches. Viola, Ventura 13.2.1. I was running it for a week or two and it was running quite well after I ditched my Samsung 980 PRO and installed a Kingston Fury Renegade SSD. I upgraded to 13.3 when it was released but there are some issues that have come about due to some changes in 13.3 so we gotta wait for those issues to be fixed. Generally though, 13.2.1 runs well and the DRM issue was (partly, still experimental) fixed with OCLP 0.6.2. An outstanding issue for MP 6,1 is Intel Speed Step is not working properly and one core is running at 100%. Sleep was working for me.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
If I have BootCamp on the '13 MP, does that still work after the upgrade? Also, I thought I saw somewhere they were suggesting installing Ventura on an external disk...

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
If I have BootCamp on the '13 MP, does that still work after the upgrade? Also, I thought I saw somewhere they were suggesting installing Ventura on an external disk...
Hmmm, good question. I do not know as I do not run bootcamp. As I recall as long as you don't mess around with the Bootcamp EFI you will be ok but you should check with someone who actually knows.

You could install on an external disk. I've been evaluating a bunch of external enclosures and SSD's. It's not exactly an inexpensive thing to do but it is possible. You have two choices:
1. Use a MP USB 3.0 5 Gbps port
2. Use a MP Thunderbolt 2 port

Option 1 is the least expensive and not particularly difficult but you only get about 400 MB/s read and write through the USB port. So, you will take a performance hit.

Option 2 is costly as you have to get a TB SSD enclosure, a TB hub and the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter for this to work. Connect the Apple adapter TB2 port to the Mac Pro 6,1 TB host port. Connect the Apple adapter TB3 cable to the upstream port of the TB4 hub. Connect the TB SSD enclosure to one of the downstream ports of the TB4 hub. I believe you can achieve close to 1500 MB/s with this configuration. I haven't actually completed this yet because I've tried a number of contortions to avoid having to purchase the hub. One of those contortions was a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 SSD enclosure. But I discovered the Apple adapter will not connect a USB-C device to a TB2 host.

Third option is to do what I have done. Get the TB4 SSD enclosure and connect it to the USB 3.0 port of the MP. Then, try to run Ventura, see if you like it and if you do, buy a hub and adapter and go the TB2 route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.