Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I haven’t got this to work on any website 😵‍💫 seems to be an abandoned iOS feature. For WhatsApp on my iPad, it even shows it in the notification settings of the settings app but nada

match14

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
I have a MR bookmark icon placed on an iOS (iPhone) screen, with the hope that I’ll get a notification update. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work (as per my post #22) also.

Has anyone else got this working? Trying to set-up it just tells me that my device (13 Mini) isn’t supported.
I get the same.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iOS push notifications are not currently turned on. We've tested them internally but have had some issues with them not working consistently, so we haven't officially rolled them out while we continue to troubleshoot.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
iOS push notifications are not currently turned on. We've tested them internally but have had some issues with them not working consistently, so we haven't officially rolled them out while we continue to troubleshoot.
Ahh thanks for the feedback, hopefully it will get sorted and explains why my device tells me it doesn’t support it.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, I've come to this thread to ask about the subscribe button under push notifications section of macrumors. I accidentally deleted the macrumors entry for Safari's allowed notifications and even after cleaning the website data for macrumors, I can't get the macrumors subscribe button to reactivate push. I click it once and get the third party alert to allow notifications but then I don't get the native safari prompt and the button doesn't change to to unsubscribe. It just says subscribe and then does nothing when clicked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Not sure if this is related or not, but most times I visit the site I get the same message about the bottom of the screen asking me to enable notifications and then when I select 'never ask again' it obviously doesn't do much as it keeps coming back (I have no interest in any website notifications so would rather it just went away).

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I experience the same as Kebabselector

On a new instance (a new login, I suppose), I get:

enable_push_notifications.png

X-ing that out gives me:

never_ask_again.png

I always choose "Never ask again" (again, again, and again, etc., &c.).

Continually get the "would like your permission" footer.

I've traveled-down this Schrodinger click-fest for over three months 🤷‍♂️

For context, I have a Pi-Hole instance running on the local network, with LtlSnitch and various ad-block extensions in FFx (I browse solely with such).

This "Never ask again" conundrum is infinitely-less frustrating than the office365 "failed to login" thing I get quad-weekly; I just do my part, and ignore the rest ;)

Reactions: Kebabselector

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Hey all, I've come to this thread to ask about the subscribe button under push notifications section of macrumors. I accidentally deleted the macrumors entry for Safari's allowed notifications and even after cleaning the website data for macrumors, I can't get the macrumors subscribe button to reactivate push. I click it once and get the third party alert to allow notifications but then I don't get the native safari prompt and the button doesn't change to to unsubscribe. It just says subscribe and then does nothing when clicked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry for the delay. I was able to replicate what you're experiencing. I deleted the MacRumors entry in Safari Notifications and I'm able to get the popup to show only if I clear all website data in the privacy settings in Safari. You can see in my attached video, I'll try to refresh a few times and it no longer comes up.

Pinging @arn to see if he can check on it.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Sorry for the delay. I was able to replicate what you're experiencing. I deleted the MacRumors entry in Safari Notifications and I'm able to get the popup to show only if I clear all website data in the privacy settings in Safari. You can see in my attached video, I'll try to refresh a few times and it no longer comes up.

Pinging @arn to see if he can check on it.

View attachment 2356345
Thanks so much. It seems like for Safari it's only working as it should for Ventura and Sonoma which in my case I would have to use Open core legacy patcher to run as my iMac only natively supports up to Monterey. I also had a similar issue with 9to5mac where it asked if i wanted notifications, but never officially enabled them. MacRumors notifications work in Firefox and Chrome for me, but having them in Safari is nice as they show up even when the browser itself isn't running.

Thanks again for checking into this and I'll wait to see what you find.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Thanks so much. It seems like for Safari it's only working as it should for Ventura and Sonoma which in my case I would have to use Open core legacy patcher to run as my iMac only natively supports up to Monterey. I also had a similar issue with 9to5mac where it asked if i wanted notifications, but never officially enabled them. MacRumors notifications work in Firefox and Chrome for me, but having them in Safari is nice as they show up even when the browser itself isn't running.

Thanks again for checking into this and I'll wait to see what you find.
The button on the https://www.macrumors.com/push/ page worked for me yesterday. Could you try it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.