Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Anyone else finding when clicking on attached photo thumbnails, some photos don’t load completely at first & that you need to wait a while before they finish loading?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anyone else finding when clicking on attached photo thumbnails, some photos don’t load completely at first & that you need to wait a while before they finish loading?

I've seen someone else report that, though it's not been something that's easily reproducible for us.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've seen someone else report that, though it's not been something that's easily reproducible for us.
Thanks. Yeah, it’s as if the top quarter of certain photos load & then stop, yet when you select the next few photos of the group, they load fully.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks. Yeah, it’s as if the top quarter of certain photos load & then stop, yet when you select the next few photos of the group, they load fully.

Looking into it, it seems a potential bug with the Lightbox plugin.

One thing that may have helped... we are resizing images now. for download efficiency. We hadn't had that setting before. So 4MB images were being embedded. Now, we resize to max width or height of 2000 pixels. This reduces image sizes to 500-700k each. It may help.

Note: older images aren't resized. So see if images uploaded in the past week and onward work better.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Looking into it, it seems a potential bug with the Lightbox plugin.

One thing that may have helped... we are resizing images now. for download efficiency. We hadn't had that setting before. So 4MB images were being embedded. Now, we resize to max width or height of 2000 pixels. This reduces image sizes to 500-700k each. It may help.

Note: older images aren't resized. So see if images uploaded in the past week and onward work better.

Delighted to see (and learn) that images are being re-sized to something smaller. That should somewhat faster loading of some pages and posts.

Sometimes, posts containing several images can take an absolute age to load.

Reactions: mollyc

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
Is it possible to move the check Bookmarks feature from inside the Profile into the "bar" below it (like "Watched, Your Content" ect.?

Screenshot.png

I use this a lot to save specific posts that have a tie bit of info that I might want to come back to later and it's a pain to scroll down the cramped dropdown menu. Thanks.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is it possible to move the check Bookmarks feature from inside the Profile into the "bar" below it (like "Watched, Your Content" ect.?

View attachment 875122

I use this a lot to save specific posts that have a tie bit of info that I might want to come back to later and it's a pain to scroll down the cramped dropdown menu. Thanks.
It’s in the your content drop down

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Out of curiosity. Is this more useful on mobile or desktop?
I used it on both platforms, but I’d say it’s more practical on mobile devices as it works well on touch screens.

Also loved the Haptic feedback on iPhones when scrolling though the menu.
:)

Reactions: arn

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Any fixes in the pipeline to stop the light mode/white background briefly appearing before the homepage fully loads up in dark mode? It glares your eyes in the dark for a second before it switches to dark mode. I remember someone mentioning this in this thread a while back but it seems like nothing has been done yet.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Any fixes in the pipeline to stop the light mode/white background briefly appearing before the homepage fully loads up in dark mode? It glares your eyes in the dark for a second before it switches to dark mode. I remember someone mentioning this in this thread a while back but it seems like nothing has been done yet.

We are redoing the front page HTML entirely over the next month or so, so that will get better.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Actually, I think I fixed this.

arn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Was there a breakdown on the bot detection this morning. Can't keep up with the posts to report.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Would it be possible to add more spacing between the quote and the post?

And also add extra spacing after the post... and between the Likes and Report button? I think these elements need some separation.

I don't usually ask for more whitespace... but it looks very crowded at the bottom of each post. :)

W7ImTDL.png

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Any particular page worse? What browser?
No particular page worse, but they seem to be equal across any non-forum pages. e.g. MacRumors homepage, Roundups, How Tos, Revies, Buyer's Guide sections etc. No issues across the forums. Using Firefox 70.0.1 on Mac OS 10.13.6. Also tested on Chrome 78.0.3904.97 and even on Chrome for Android. If you like, I can post a screen video?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No particular page worse, but they seem to be equal across any non-forum pages. e.g. MacRumors homepage, Roundups, How Tos, Revies, Buyer's Guide sections etc. No issues across the forums. Using Firefox 70.0.1 on Mac OS 10.13.6. Also tested on Chrome 78.0.3904.97 and even on Chrome for Android. If you like, I can post a screen video?

sure, email me a video: arn@normalkid.con

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
@arn, is there a way to sort search results (seems like default is by relevance, but sometimes by date can be more useful) once a search has been performed? Or alternatively have the option to select sorting order from the quick search pull-down menu?

I believe the option is there if you are initiating a search from the advanced search page, but sometimes that's more involved than when you are doing a quick search from the search pull-down and then realize having results sorted by date would be better, for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.