Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
* Welcome to the MacRumors Studio *
soh_rec_side.jpg

We want to hear your TUNES!!!

This is a comfy cozy place where we can share
our own music creations with fellow musicians
and accept constructive criticism warmly.

For fun lets judge each song in 4 categories.

1 - Originality - 1
2 - Technical - 2
3 - Catchiness - 3
4 - Overall - 4

We'll use the emotions to represent 1(low)-5(high)
for each category,
1=:mad: it's Bad
2=:( it's ok
3=:) it's good
4=:D it's Great
5=:eek: it's AWESOME!!!

Example:
"You Rock My World" -Micheal Jackson
I didn't care for it but have to give it credit from a technical stand point and
the overall catchiness.
:mad: :( :) :mad:

So, Lets get Started !!!

* If you have no way of uploading your songs
use some FREE web space providers like..

RapidShare
h**p://rapidshare.de​

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
what the hell.

Rain

this was recorded (iirc) in 1994, by my old band Shovel Choir in our old basement studio. i'm the keyboardist. we pulled this off the original 8-track tape a couple months ago and did this roughmix.

enjoy.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Ida B. Wells

this is my current "band" (actually more of a recording project), Box Set Authentic. we recorded this in my house a couple years ago. it's another rough mix (we're kinda bad at finishing things). i played the keys and did the mix.

btw -- the song name in the mp3 tag won't match, we've changed the name

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
cool...

zimv20 said:
Ida B. Wells

this is my current "band" (actually more of a recording project), Box Set Authentic. we recorded this in my house a couple years ago. it's another rough mix (we're kinda bad at finishing things). i played the keys and did the mix.

very neat, atmospheric and dissonant. I'd quite like to hear a final mix of it.

If you don't have these albums already, you should pick up "Eccsame The Photon Band" and "In The Presence Of Nothing" by the Lilys. You'd probably like them.

good job

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
beatsme said:
very neat, atmospheric and dissonant. I'd quite like to hear a final mix of it.
you and me both :)

quick anecdote about the recording: the 4 of us there are musicians and, to some degree or another, engineers. after the two guitar amps were set up and mic'ed, i placed another mic in the stone-tiled shower of an adjacent bathroom, as kind of an affected room mic.

the others made fun of me. until we listened to playback. the guitar sounds in that mix are mostly shower mic.

pick up "Eccsame The Photon Band" and "In The Presence Of Nothing" by the Lilys.
thanks for that.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
beatsme said:
I can't imagine how you are able to keep track of something this complex! Well-crafted...

ya, that reminds me of playing some of the older FF games.
great piece of work!
:) :eek: :D :D

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
zimv20 said:
what the hell.

Rain

this was recorded (iirc) in 1994, by my old band Shovel Choir in our old basement studio. i'm the keyboardist. we pulled this off the original 8-track tape a couple months ago and did this roughmix.

enjoy.

sounds better then my old bands 8track recording!
pretty new aged for music in 1994 id have to say.
:) :) :D :)

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
zimv20 said:
Ida B. Wells

i love this kind of "chill" music. very ambient. reminds me of some of the music in the movie "lost in traslation"
:D :) :) :D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
thumper said:
sounds better then my old bands 8track recording!
pretty new aged for music in 1994 id have to say.
:) :) :D :)
thanks. i wish we'd not hit the tape so hard, the tracks were hard to work with (too compressed and lacking in high end). i'm not certain how familiar with the tune anyone is, it's an old Beatles b-side.

thumper said:
i love this kind of "chill" music. very ambient. reminds me of some of the music in the movie "lost in traslation"
:D :) :) :D
we're all kevin shields fans, so i'm not too surprised. thanks for the compliment!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
e-clipse said:
Please take time to check out a symphony piece I am currently working on.
the piece i'm supposed to be listening to is 'Exploration', yes?

i love your use of the timpani at 0:29. the piece evolves nicely throughout. good work.

edit: i'm an idiot. i just located Rediscovery. that's the piece. listening now.

edit2: Rediscovery: nice piece. have another listen to the crash (?) cymbal, though, it wasn't working for me. perhaps a cymbal with a longer tail?

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
thumper said:
ya, that reminds me of playing some of the older FF games.
great piece of work!
:) :eek: :D :D

Thankyou! My inspiration came from Final Fantasy 6 (ff3 in America)
The King of the mobile Sand Castle Theme.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
zimv20 said:
Ida B. Wells

Reminds me alot of Radiohead and Aphex Twin. Really cool use of guitar and synth bends. :D :) :) :D

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
zimv20 said:
what the hell.

Rain

enjoy.

The opening has a Coldplay feel (before Colplay was a thought)...which is awesome! It is a wonderfuly done Beatles cover:)

:) :D :D :D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
e-clipse said:
The opening
thanks! i made those sounds when i was in the phase where i'd make sounds from scratch with my ensoniq eps-16. instead of sampling, i would program in a square wave, then go to town with filters and such. all the synth sounds in Rain were made like that.

Pathetique

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
I've got a project I'm doing called Dante's First Circle. I'm in the process of writing a concept album based on Dante's Inferno. The intro song is up (It Begins). The other three songs are just ones i came up with before i got my idea to do this.

http://www.purevolume.com/dantesfirstcircle

I used reason 3.0 and garageband on every one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.