Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Why can't I get the image of the scene from The Life of Brian out of my head..

In two years time, the Intel Mac User Group are strolling around WWDC, when from somewhere in the crowd, someone shouts out "Splitters!!" :D

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
anonymous161 said:
That is the question= are we going to get Pentium class chips or Celeron class chips.
It's hard to get excited about celerons

It will be Pentium. If it's Celeron, not only will I eat my leg, but I will protest from ever using an Apple computer again. You see, theres a certain level of "sellingout" that one such as myself will take. :p

If Celeron is used, I'm sure it would only be in low-end models such as the Mac mini. My statement above applies to such machines as, the Powerbook, iMac, PowerMac, etc.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
slu said:
Who watched Steve on CNBC? He say anything of note?

I am not of the opinion that the sky is falling either, but as a recent switcher (in Sept) I spent a fair amount of money on hardware and software, and I will be upset if performance of my apps takes a hit on the the Macintels during the transition.

But like some of the other sane people in this thread, I am for this in the long run.
I will try to get through this based on these grounds:

• OS X must only run on Intel based Macs, not x86 PCs. Otherwise, Apple hardware is dead and useless as we've all stated. Clones almost killed Apple in the 90s.

• Apple needs to somehow make native x86 OS X apps run on PPC after the transition, otherwise, you're leaving thousands of loyal PPC (that don't want to have to buy a new Intel based Mac right away) in the cold.

• I don't want XP or Longhorn on my Mac (dual boot, whatever)... Some would say this is okay, but I don't like that idea at all.

• Lower prices - Apple can no longer justify that much of a higher price for basically the same hardware as a Dell that "could" run OS X. However, with this, comes more Mac sales (which you all seem to think is such a peachy thing), which means larger user-base, thus more potential for hackers to screw up our machines. I'd like to think that the security of OS X will keep this from happening.

• No Intel stickers, please.

• When I do buy an Intel based Mac summer of next year to replace my G4, I want everything to be pretty much the same. Same super secure OS, same great looking computer, same great applications, same great overall performance, and same great integration of hardware and software/OS. The latter seems like the hardest, as I'm sure there will be plenty of kinks throughout the transition.

If the above are all followed, I have no issues with the transition whatsoever. If Jobs says PPC and the G5 have no real future, I do believe him. If Intel can give Macs faster speeds, and better anything, awesome. Just don't take away things that make my Mac a Mac.

In the meantime, I do see Apple sales falling, as no one wants an obsolete system. Sure, Joe Shmoe won't really know, but when he starts reading about how much PPC based Macs are obsolete in the next year or two, his views will be bound to change.

I take back my comments of Apple doomsday, as I think the toughest part will be the next 10-12 months. After that, I hope everything is smooth sailing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Will Intel chips REALLY mean a price drop?

Apple has to spend on R&D to make sure all their new mobos and processors and everything else works for a consumer offering. I doubt they will absorb that price without passing on the buck to you and me.

Señor Jobs has done a good job of dragging & keeping Apple out of the toilet so far.. I hope he hasn't gone off his rocker for this one. I hope that the price will drop, as I'm getting close to needing a new computer and I'll be damned if I buy a PC. It's going to be hard enough buying a Mac with the Enemy Inside!

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
mcdermd said:
Will they choose a 64-bit Intel proc for production models? Wouldn't it be a step back to 32-bit if they don't? I still don't get how this change benefits the user. Business - yes, user - no.

I have a feeling the processor that Apple will use isn't even announced yet. If Apple wanted to, they could release intel based Macs in a couple of months. They're waiting for something.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Plymouthbreezer said:
I will try to get through this based on these grounds:

• OS X must only run on Intel based Macs, not x86 PCs. Otherwise, Apple hardware is dead and useless as we've all stated. Clones almost killed Apple in the 90s.

Clones are inevitable at this stage. Its going to happen, hopefully it just doesn't kill Apple in the process.

• Apple needs to somehow make native x86 OS X apps run on PPC after the transition, otherwise, you're leaving thousands of loyal PPC (that don't want to have to buy a new Intel based Mac right away) in the cold.

• I don't want XP or Longhorn on my Mac (dual boot, whatever)... Some would say this is okay, but I don't like that idea at all.

Once again, going to happen. 98% of us will hate it, but its going to happen because it can happen.

• Lower prices - Apple can no longer justify that much of a higher price for basically the same hardware as a Dell that "could" run OS X. However, with this, comes more Mac sales (which you all seem to think is such a peachy thing), which means larger user-base, thus more potential for hackers to screw up our machines. I'd like to think that the security of OS X will keep this from happening.

Hopefully, you are right and the security of OS X will keep this from happening. Low prices may also be a good thing. If Macs go low quality for prices, that will be the end for me. I saw the Mac as a savyour from the horrid PC. Now, will all faith I hope Apple does not go the way of the dark side.

I am unconditionally in ever way prepared to pay the high prices for the current Macs out today, simply because they are high quality. High quality is something I value and admire. Something, I would pay far beyond for than something of low quality. I really hope Apple sticks to its roots on this thing and does not sell us out.

Apple - "If you build it, they will come", as Dennis Quad said. However he meant, a quality build and they will come. Keep that in mind. NO CHEAP STUFF! FULL ON QUALITY! WE WILL COME! WE WILL PAY! WE WILL BUY!

• No Intel stickers, please.

Praying on this one, I am.

• When I do buy an Intel based Mac summer of next year to replace my G4, I want everything to be pretty much the same. Same super secure OS, same great looking computer, same great applications, same great overall performance, and same great integration of hardware and software/OS. The latter seems like the hardest, as I'm sure there will be plenty of kinks throughout the transition.

If the above are all followed, I have no issues with the transition whatsoever. If Jobs says PPC and the G5 have no real future, I do believe him. If Intel can give Macs faster speeds, and better anything, awesome. Just don't take away things that make my Mac a Mac.

Almost entirley agreed.

In the meantime, I do see Apple sales falling, as no one wants an obsolete system. Sure, Joe Shmoe won't really know, but when he starts reading about how much PPC based Macs are obsolete in the next year or two, his views will be bound to change.

I take back my comments of Apple doomsday, as I think the toughest part will be the next 10-12 months. After that, I hope everything is smooth sailing.

:)

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
BenRoethig said:
I have a feeling the processor that Apple will use isn't even announced yet. If Apple wanted to, they could release intel based Macs in a couple of months. They're waiting for something.

i've been wondering about that - why would they need to wait a year to ship intel macs (can we shorten that to iMac? Oh wait - that's been used ;) - or maybe inteliMac? HA)? If Steve's using a P4 to demo and much of the mac internals are already "standard" parts then what's the year long wait for?

Thanks

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
yellow said:
Will Intel chips REALLY mean a price drop?

Apple has to spend on R&D to make sure all their new mobos and processors and everything else works for a consumer offering. I doubt they will absorb that price without passing on the buck to you and me.

Señor Jobs has done a good job of dragging & keeping Apple out of the toilet so far.. I hope he hasn't gone off his rocker for this one. I hope that the price will drop, as I'm getting close to needing a new computer and I'll be damned if I buy a PC. It's going to be hard enough buying a Mac with the Enemy Inside!

Totally agreed! :)

This is either the begining of the end for Apple, or the dawn of a new era.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
MAYBE the first offering of the new Intel based Mac is going to be a Tablet Mac, dubbed iMacblet. So they're not waiting for a special chip from Intel, they are waiting on a BRAND NEW MAC DESIGN. This way, they won't be initially leaving anyone out in the cold.

You heard it here FIRST! :D

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
ariel said:
i've been wondering about that - why would they need to wait a year to ship intel macs (can we shorten that to iMac? Oh wait - that's been used ;) - or maybe inteliMac? HA)? If Steve's using a P4 to demo and much of the mac internals are already "standard" parts then what's the year long wait for?

Thanks

It all makes sense now. You see, this is all Steve's 20-year take over the world plan. Yes yes, you all may not know of this, but it is I who do. ;)

1997 was the year, Jobs stagged a 20-year take over the world plan. We are almost at the middle of this plan. 2007 marks 10 years, the eye of the plan, the middle.

You all thought (hey, don't feel bad, so did I) that the i in Apple stood for i as in me or you or yours. It does indeed not stand for this. It stands for Intel!

You see, its all coming together. Its all becoming clear now. I see, I see, this is it, this is the top secret plan!

Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

In response to your question, he is not yet releasing the Macs with Intel-inside simply because of the programs. Sure he can release them in a couple months but you won't have any apps. He made this public now, so the developers can start working on the apps.

BrandonKea

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
Omaha, NE
yellow said:
MAYBE the first offering of the new Intel based Mac is going to be a Tablet Mac, dubbed iMacblet. So they're not waiting for a special chip from Intel, they are waiting on a BRAND NEW MAC DESIGN. This way, they won't be initially leaving anyone out in the cold.

You heard it here FIRST! :D

Sweet mother of Macintosh, i hope not.

...this is all very disturbing to me. I switched to Mac to get away from all this hullabaloo, now it's chasing after me, argh.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
What is also true, could be Intel is working on a new chip exclusivley for the Mac. This is a concept that is starting to get me excited. If this were the case, I think my rage with this decision would be abolished.

I am into individuality and if the Mac were to use a chip different from that, that the PC's use, I might just very well be into this reformat.

I am starting to believe this might be the case. If so, great! This was a step forward then, instead of a step backwards!!!

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Apple!Freak said:
In response to your question, he is not yet releasing the Macs with Intel-inside simply because of the programs. Sure he can release them in a couple months but you won't have any apps. He made this public now, so the developers can start working on the apps.

But, (asking naively) They just showed one of the most complicated proggies (Mathamatica) being converted in 2 days and they say it is pretty simple to do? So again it (from the novice view) that they would target a whole year for doing such a change.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
BrandonKea said:
...this is all very disturbing to me. I switched to Mac to get away from all this hullabaloo, now it's chasing after me, argh.

It's all your fault! You brought it with you! :D

Zigster

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
It's a tough call because you have to give your developers time to prepare, but of course you tip off potential buyers to wait a year. Hardware sales will plummet.

Yep. The sales figures will begin to show 2 quarters from now. The stock will take a hit end of this year FOR SURE.

However, middle of next year, start buying the **** out of it because they are going to give Longhorn all it can handle.

BrandonKea

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
Omaha, NE
Chaszmyr said:
Just because it's all your fault doesn't mean you need to be blasphemous

You're right *extinguishes iPod*

I don't know exactly what to make of all this. I mean, as long as like you guys are saying, everything stays mostly AppleKosher, then I'll be fine. I don't want XP or Longhorn on my Mac though.

...heh, and you all were waiting for the PowerBook G5, lol...

3Dmaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2005
But in the interim

Hi, all. Long time reader, first time poster.

A question that I have that doesn't seem to have been addressed is what happens in the interim? I personally don't care if the processor is powered by lemon gumdrops, as long as it's still a Mac. What I want to know is what will happen in the next two years.

I work in 3D (stills and animation) and I really need all the speed I can get. Right now our CPU's are at 2.7 Ghz. Are they doomed to stay there for the next two years until the switch to Intel is made, or will there be speed increases from IBM between now and then?

I was really looking forward to a dual core dual PowerMac: is that hope dead now? Will there be no speed increases until the switch?

Your opinions, please.

Thanks,

3Dmaker

Ultimatetone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
WHY INTEL OVER AMD????

WHY INTEL OVER AMD????

Taken from Cult of Mac (from WIRED Blogs)

Apple Shifting To Intel, For Hollywood's Sake

Sunday, 5 June 2005: Apple wants Intel's new Pentium D chips.

Released just few days ago, the dual-core chips include a hardware copy protection scheme that prevents
"unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard," according to PC World.

Apple -- or rather, Hollywood -- wants the Pentium D to secure an online movie store (iFlicks if you will),
that will allow consumers to buy or rent new movies on demand, over the Internet.

According to News.com, the Intel transition will occur first in the summer with the Mac mini,
which I'll bet will become a mini-Tivo-cum-home-server.

As initially reported, there a couple of big problems with Apple moving to Intel.

The biggest is shifting all the Mac software to a new platform.
Apple apparently mulled moving to Intel a few years ago,
when Motorola's chip development fell woefully behind,
but Steve Jobs nixed it because of the massive disruption it would cause developers.

What's new this time is a fast, transparent, universal emulator from Transitive, a Silicon Valley startup.
Transitive's QuickTransit allows any software to run on any hardware with no performance hit, or so the company claims.
The techology automatically kicks in when necessary, and supports high-end 3D graphics.
Ultimatetone

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Good question.

I suspect any request from Apple for a slightly faster G5 (2.75GHz! Yay!) devlierd from IBM will be met with a resounding F*** Y**. I guess multi-core G4s was a pipe dream.

StkhlmSyndrm23

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
Chicago, IL
3Dmaker said:
Hi, all. Long time reader, first time poster.

A question that I have that doesn't seem to have been addressed is what happens in the interim? I personally don't care if the processor is powered by lemon gumdrops, as long as it's still a Mac. What I want to know is what will happen in the next two years.

I work in 3D (stills and animation) and I really need all the speed I can get. Right now our CPU's are at 2.7 Ghz. Are they doomed to stay there for the next two years until the switch to Intel is made, or will there be speed increases from IBM between now and then?

I was really looking forward to a dual core dual PowerMac: is that hope dead now? Will there be no speed increases until the switch?

Your opinions, please.

Thanks,

3Dmaker

Steve stated on CNBC today that we have not seen the last of the PPCs, yet. In fact, he said there were more PowerPC products coming in the pipeline. It goes without saying that the iBook and Powerbook will get a speed bump and I would say it's fairly likely that come Paris next fall we will see the PowerMacs bumped up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.