Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will begin updating its Mac lineup with M4 chips in late 2024, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The M4 chip will be focused on improving performance for artificial intelligence capabilities.

apple-silicon-feature-joeblue.jpg

Last year, Apple introduced the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips all at once in October, so it's possible we could see the M4 lineup come during the same time frame. Gurman says that the entire Mac lineup is slated to get the M4 across late 2024 and early 2025.

The iMac, low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro, high-end 14-inch MacBook Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini machines will be updated with M4 chips first, followed by the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models in spring 2025, the Mac Studio in mid-2025, and the Mac Pro later in 2025.

Apple is said to be nearing production of the M4 processor, and it is expected to come in at least three main varieties. Chips are codenamed Donan for the low-end, Brava for the mid-tier, and Hidra for the top-end. The Donan chip will be used in the entry-level MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air machines, and the low-end Mac mini, and the Brava chips will be used in the higher-end MacBook Pro and the higher-end Mac mini.

The Hidra chip is designed for the Mac Pro, which suggests it is an "Ultra" or "Extreme" tier chip. As for the Mac Studio, Apple is testing versions with an unreleased M3-era chip and a variation of the M4 Brava processor that would presumably be higher tier than the M4 Pro and M4 Max "Brava" chips.

M4 versions of the Mac desktops could support as much as 512GB Unified Memory, which would be a marked jump over the current 192GB limit.

The M4 chips will be built on the same 3-nanometer process as the M3 chips, but Apple supplier TSMC will likely use an improved version of the 3nm process for boosts in performance and power efficiency. Apple also plans to add a much improved Neural Engine that has an increased number of cores for AI tasks.

Article Link: Macs to Get AI-Focused M4 Chips Starting in Late 2024

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple will begin updating its Mac lineup with M4 chips in late 2024, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The M4 chip will be focused on improving performance for artificial intelligence capabilities.
That just sound odd and along the lines that an enhanced neural processor will be that beneficial to cloud based AI working with a iPhone example.

Last edited:

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Well, AI is definitely the buzzword du jour, but unfortunately it needs AI software to go along with it.

We’ll see how that goes. A revamped Siri running locally definitely has the potential to be an intriguing proposition. However I’m starting to think the hardware will be ahead of the software for a while yet - and that Apple will be relying on 3rd parties for their AI implementations almost exclusively.

I just haven’t seen a cohesive presentation of how all of this fits together and will benefit your average user.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Will the next MacBook Pro get a redesign it’s had 3 generations with the same look
Why do they need to be redesigned? Apple’s design team really hit it out of the park with the current iPad & MacBook design. The industrial look is really proving to be timeless. If anything, maybe they could shave a few millimeters off the thickness.

hoorayforhollywood

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2017
I've always been a bit of a bit fearful of AI and so have my head in the sand a bit but - can anyone with chip knowledge explain how a chip enhances AI? I thought it was all done on request and return by supercomputers guzzling water? I also have no idea what 'neural engines' on a chip do. Is enhanced AI different to that? If someone could help an old man out here?

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Apple is so behind on AI. It's even looking like they are getting more behind and not even catching up. People keep saying Apple is often late but better, as if that is some sort of vindication. But that's not even true -- Apple does not always come up with something better. But what I want is for Apple to be consistently earlier and better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.