Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Because my M1 Max has the ugly notch which to this day I hate and the webcam isn’t even that good so they can change it
Apple made the screen larger by 1" while keeping the footprint of the computer the same if not slightly smaller than 13" MBP.

They did this by putting the menu bar in the extra real estate they created.

You prefer a laptop with less usable real estate (13") vs not having the notch? Really?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The M4 chips will be built on the same 3-nanometer process as the M3 chips, but Apple supplier TSMC will likely use an improved version of the 3nm process for boosts in performance and power efficiency.
Oddly worded statement. M3 and M4 will both be built on a 3 nm process, but it won't be the same 3 nm process. M3 is built on N3B, M4 will (most likely) be built on N3E.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It is broke tho a huge cut out on my screen I use for work is very annoying
That space was unusable before anyway because it was taken up by... the same webcam. And even worse, it had just black bezel next to it prior to 2021. Would you rather they bring the bezel back? Or invent an invisible webcam that works through an LED screen and defies the laws of physics?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
What does AI-optimized mean ? Faster memory access ? more processing cores ? new intercores communication channels ? different cores ? less floating point, more fixed point processing power ?
When one considers all the Windows (x86) implementations of various form of AI not utilizing neural processing it does make you wonder what a M4 for Macs would provide over the current M3 capabilities?

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Apple is so behind on AI. It's even looking like they are getting more behind and not even catching up. People keep saying Apple is often late but better, as if that some sort of vindication. But that's not even true -- Apple does not always come up with something better. But what I want is for Apple to be consistently earlier and better.
Apple is not behind AI at all, wtf?

Apple dominates Machine Learning which is the foundation of the "AI".

You most likely mean that they may lack behind in the GPT or LLM

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
When one considers all the Windows (x86) implementations of various form of AI not utilizing neural processing it does make you wonder what a M4 for Macs would provide over the current M3 capabilities?
My (very limited) own experience running various AI models on ollama on my macbook M1pro is quite good. Of course I am not training models which would be a completely different story.

I am also writing models but these are quite limited by my skills, not be the hardware :)

So I wonder how much acceleration one will get (besides the extra memory to allow for larger models to stay in RAM).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Still rocking an M1 Air and M1 iMac and they're both doing great. I suspect M4 will be the one that gets me to update? The thing that moves the needle for me is new features I can't get on my current hardware, and if (if!) they deliver on some really solid on-device AI that actually makes my life easier, I'll be way more inclined to upgrade.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've always been a bit of a bit fearful of AI and so have my head in the sand a bit but - can anyone with chip knowledge explain how a chip enhances AI? I thought it was all done on request and return by supercomputers guzzling water? I also have no idea what 'neural engines' on a chip do. Is enhanced AI different to that? If someone could help an old man out here?
The idea is that by running the AI model locally on your own hardware then 1) it's faster, 2) doesn't require internet access, and 3) easier to lock down privacy if information doesn't leave your device.

The upside is that you're running it locally. The downside is that you're running it locally... and therefore need more resources on your device :)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Gurman> Apple Inc., aiming to boost sluggish computer sales, is preparing to overhaul its entire Mac line with a new family of in-house processors designed to highlight artificial intelligence.
That would be solved by timely announcements of newer Mac Models rather then focused only on annual laptops mainly. Even the M3 (base SoC) implementation of the 24" iMac is a boring example. It can't drive more than one display or be labeled a TB4 implementation because of that. Where are the updated M3 Mac minis as an easy example of Apple doing wheelies instead of reaching the finish line.

Reactions: asdfjkl; and tICM

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Earlier than expected, nice. I'll look at upgrading the M1 MBP this fall then.

Just hope that the RAM and SSD costs are less insane. I also hope that I'll grow 10 years younger, and six inches taller in the next six months.

Would love to see the notch, SD and HDMI ports removed, and another TB port (TB5 please) instead.

I could probably wait for an M5 if I were honest. If I do go M4, it'll probably be an M8 or M9 before I upgrade again.,

But honestly, outside of photo retouching, I don't see AI use cases. I certainly am not going to use LLM's to write content.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
We just got M3. This industry is going crazy. What ppl can’t do with M3 that needs M4. Seriously. New tech is rolled out just for profit. Sell sell sell. New new new.
M4 will get exclusive AI functionality with next macos. M3 has a very slow neural engine, according Wikipedia it got ca. half the speed of the iPhone 15 pro.

1712857541714.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.