Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I could have paid a premium for Apple, but paying over double what I would pay for a Mini PC with Ryzen, basically rules out Macs as an option.
At this point my M1 Mac Mini is only a secondary work device (and my main server)

So many of these responses: "I could have paid for a Mac, but also I did, so I have no idea why anyone would take my protest seriously."

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
For professional work. Primary source of income.
Yes, for professional work, not every video is a 2-hour movie. I don't know if you've heard of these new-fangled YouTube videos, or TikToks, or Reels, or Shorts, or ads. It may blow your mind to find out how much professionally-made content there is out there that's under 10 minutes long.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Lenovo has a perpetual sale, and so its hard to nail down actual price but generally its about 40% less then what msrp, so its conceivable to be considered on par with the MBA price wise, though it was slower in performance.

It's not that Lenovo has a perpetual sale, they simply engage in manipulative marketing tactics designed to convince the user to make a purchase. Frankly, I am shocked that this is not illegal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's not that Lenovo has a perpetual sale, they simply engage in manipulative marketing tactics designed to convince the user to make a purchase. Frankly, I am shocked that this is not illegal.
I won't disagree, and from what I've heard lately the quality of their customer support has decreased. I have an older thinkpad X1e (first gen), and it's an excellent laptop. It was faster, similar battery and about 50% cheaper then a then comparable MBP. Not the MSRP, but the so called sale price.

Overall, It was a great laptop, but compared to today's standards, its slow, loud, and heavy. My Razer and M1 MBP run circles around it.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2023
If you're going to keep using a hundred year old lightbulb cartel as your benchmark here, you're going to have to show evidence of an international cartel enforcing low quality PCs.
The lightbulb cartel was just to illustrate how sometimes technically superior products that could be sold at a reasonable price never make it to the hands of customers because the industry is structured in such a way as to make that offering unsustainable. As I said, not apples to apples. If anything the computer market is even more complex, because Apple is not only a seller of sophisticated products, but a buyer of sophisticated components that required developed manufacturing in their own right. If Apple has power over their customers, it has perhaps even more power over their suppliers. Have you looked into the terms they impose on suppliers? Apple gets out of their way to make sure that you can't find the parts you need to fix your out-of-warranty device, often cheap parts that should be bog-standard, but aren't, because Apple had them designed so that you can't get them anywhere but from the original suppliers, and those are forbidden, by contract, to sell them to any one else.

As for low-quality PCs, do you see a lot of high-quality devices out there on the market? Apple's the best of the bunch, I'll grant you that, but not without their shenanigans, ask anyone who bought (or had to buy) a Mac with a butterfly keyboard of the 2015-2019 vintage. They replaced the keyboards, but with identical fail-prone parts and only up to 4 years after sale. Thinkpads used to be good machines, but after Lenovo bought them they became mediocre like the rest. Not meaning to be a little to saucy, but it would be nice if companies put "hard" back into "hardware".

For someone with such a happy avatar (which I absolutely love, by the way!) you live in a dark, dark place...
Not really man, I don't hate on corps. They are what they are, I just don't pretend they're anything else. It's a matter of, you know, getting things into proper focus. You see the balloon getting into and out of focus, but, no matter what happens, you should not blink...

The thing that really disturbs me about Apple and its executives is their God awful, phony appeals to social justice while they literally scrape out hundreds of millions of bucks and give almost nothing back as charity or charitable causes. They could open community centers and do so much good, but they instead hoard cash and ask us to buy a $100 Black Unity watch band made by the revolting slaves in China sending messages over AirDrop to each other. And then they go and participate in the crackdown by shutting down AirDrop. It shows not only what they’re capable of but what they’re willing to do so long as they are given a justification. That’s some Michael Myers caliber sociopath stuff right there. Then the sycophant media and forum trolls cover up for them after, saying it’s “political” to speak the precise truth?
To be fair to Apple they are not the only hypocrite corp out there. They're just the biggest/most prominent, and so attract more attention.

JoshNori

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2022
This is a decades-long thought and a big point that a lot of journalists have also brought up forever. In the early oughts, it made more sense because they didn't monopolize memory supplies. Now they basically control the whole supply and it seems to be more of a how much profit can they squeeze out of already high margins.

It also wasn't as big of a deal in the past because you could actually upgrade the ram and storage yourself. Now you are at the whim of Apple for the most part, other than the fact that you can get external storage solutions.
If you’re gonna try to be cool and use that term, it’s spelled “aughts”. Don’t let it backfire. 💋

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
… not uncompressed though
(not that it is that important for consumer stuff of course)
Yeah exactly, as I said. 4K RAW is huge but regular 4K (HEVC) is fine.

As you say, doesn’t matter for consumer stuff but plenty consumers will be editing 4K videos of their kids on base model machines.

Definitely not “720p as the most taxing use case” nonsense when you could edit 4K on the 12” MacBook.

Reactions: sam_dean

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hence, I think that Apple should offer a 16/512 or 12/512 for around $799, and I argued in this thread that that price point lets them maintain their margins on the base model while upgrading the base model to a more premium experience.

Based on which economical reality? You want them to sell a premium class product at a price of a budget product. As we discussed previously, nobody else sells a premium PC with that config at that price level. I mean, you can always bring up the cheap Inspiron with it's crippled RAM and SSD, but that's a bit like like claiming that free range beef should cost as much as cage chicken because otherwise it's not "good value for the customer".

Now, people counter that the person buying the base model doesn’t need 512 GB of storage or 12/16 GB of memory and that if they offered that as the base people wouldn’t even use it. That you are forcing them to buy something they don’t need.

No, people counter that there is no economical sense in selling a premium product for $700 if everyone else asks $1000 for something similar (numbers just arbitrary). You are asking a company to deliberately cripple their revenue stream just because you don't like the price. And yes, it's a simplistic account. There is also a certain component of extortion in the entire system — if you want a shiny Mac you don't have much choice but to pay Apple's very high price, which creates the spiral of price inflation. But this problem won't be solved at discussing things at the current level.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Hence, I think that Apple should offer a 16/512 or 12/512 for around $799, and I argued in this thread that that price point lets them maintain their margins on the base model while upgrading the base model to a more premium experience.

Now, people counter that the person buying the base model doesn’t need 512 GB of storage or 12/16 GB of memory and that if they offered that as the base people wouldn’t even use it. That you are forcing them to buy something they don’t need.

My reason for bringing up the A series is that if all that matters is offering consumers what they need and will use they shouldn’t even offer the M series as the base model. Instead if all that mattered was offering a product that was what people need and will use the MBA and Mac Mini should both have used SoCs based on the A14 rather than the what is essentially the A14X… If the MBA and Mac Mini lines were offered with SoCs based on the A14 (still slightly customized with mac specific changes like the updates to the GPU) they would not have been out of line charging the same prices they do currently. This would satisfy the father in law above and all the other hypothetical users that have been brought up who only use it for email and couch surfing and whatever.
They could have even offered them at a lower price If the goal is to offer the a mass market product at the lowest price possible. This wouldn’t be in addition to the M1 we got it would replace it as the base level of performance for MBA and Mac Mini.
If Mac SKUs would have double the RAM & SSD at the same price, chip, CPU cores & GPU cores.

Mac modelMSRPChipCPU (Core)GPU (Core)RAM (GB)SSD (TB)
iMac 24"$1,699M188161
iMac 24"$1,499M188160.5
iMac 24"$1,299M187160.5
Mac mini*$1,299M2 Pro1016321
Mac mini$799M2810161
Mac mini$599M2810160.5
Mac Studio$3,999M1 Ultra20481282
Mac Studio$1,999M1 Max1024641
Mac Studio**$3,999M2 Ultra24601282
Mac Studio**$1,999M2 Max1230641
MBA$1,499M2810161
MBA$1,199M288160.5
MBA$999M187160.5
MBP 13"$1,499M2810161
MBP 13"$1,299M2810160.5
MBP 14"$3,099M2 Max1230642
MBP 14"$2,499M2 Pro1219322
MBP 14"$1,999M2 Pro1016321
MBP 16"$3,499M2 Max1238642
MBP 16"$2,699M2 Pro1219322
MBP 16"*$2,499M2 Pro1219321
MB 12"***$699A16 Bionic658256GB
Mac nano***$299A16 Bionic658256GB

Note:

*If RAM & SSD were increased my choice would be the $1299 Mac mini M2 Pro if there was no iMac 27" replacement & the $2499 MBP 16" M2 Pro. Both of which would have 32GB RAM & 1TB SSD.

**My guess on the CPU core & GPU core count of the future 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max & M2 Ultra SKUs.

***iPhone chip-based Mac. If M1 & M2 can be used in an iPad Pro & iPad Air why not use iPhone chip in a cheap laptop & desktop? "Mac nano" uses the 2022 Apple TV 4K enclosure as to make it 0.27L instead of 1.39L of the Mac mini. This reduces shipping cost as you can pack in more "Mac nano" per shipping pallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: toke lahti

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Based on which economical reality? You want them to sell a premium class product at a price of a budget product. As we discussed previously, nobody else sells a premium PC with that config at that price level. I mean, you can always bring up the cheap Inspiron with it's crippled RAM and SSD, but that's a bit like like claiming that free range beef should cost as much as cage chicken because otherwise it's not "good value for the customer".

I am not asking for a premium product at a budget price.
I am asking for a premium product at a reasonable price.

Apple charges $200 for 256GB of additional storage, a price that off the shelf retail will get you 2TB of additional storage.
Apple charges $200 for 8GB of memory, the LPDDR5 Apple uses would have to cost 20 times what LPDDR4 costs for this to make sense. See: https://www.dramexchange.com/

Given the prices for these components I would guess that Apple could easily start the Mac mini at $799 with 16/512 and have similar or better margins than the current $599 Mac mini.

Apple is one of the companies that defines what the pricing for these things should cost, my point is that for the last 12 years Apple has stopped moving the baseline forward. Oh sure, there are ever more options at the top, up to 8TB now, but the bottom of the stack doesn't move any more and that is frustrating.

No, people counter that there is no economical sense in selling a premium product for $700 if everyone else asks $1000 for something similar (numbers just arbitrary). You are asking a company to deliberately cripple their revenue stream just because you don't like the price. And yes, it's a simplistic account. There is also a certain component of extortion in the entire system — if you want a shiny Mac you don't have much choice but to pay Apple's very high price, which creates the spiral of price inflation. But this problem won't be solved at discussing things at the current level.

I said $799, not $699, because I wanted Apple to maintain the margin on the base model . If this would cripple their revenue stream then they have already screwed up the base model's margins.

I am asking the company to actually focus on moving the base forward again.

Edit: And people did counter that people buying the base model don't need more storage. There was a whole back and forth over like 3 pages with AnalogueKid and boss.king saying the base model already met the needs of the people buying it.

Last edited:

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I am not asking for a premium product at a budget price.
I am asking for a premium product at a reasonable price.

Apple charges $200 for 256GB of additional storage, a price that off the shelf retail will get you 2TB of additional storage.
Apple charges $200 for 8GB of memory, the LPDDR5 Apple uses would have to cost 20 times what LPDDR4 costs for this to make sense. See: https://www.dramexchange.com/

Given the prices for these components I would guess that Apple could easily start the Mac mini at $799 with 16/512 and have similar or better margins than the current $599 Mac mini.

Apple is one of the companies that defines what the pricing for these things should cost, my point is that for the last 12 years Apple has stopped moving the baseline forward. Oh sure, there are ever more options at the top, up to 8TB now, but the bottom of the stack doesn't move any more and that is frustrating.

I said $799, not $699, because I wanted Apple to maintain the margin on the base model . If this would cripple their revenue stream then they have already screwed up the base model's margins.

I am asking the company to actually focus on moving the base forward again.

Edit: And people did counter that people buying the base model don't need more storage. There was a whole back and forth over like 3 pages with AnalogueKid and boss.king saying the base model already met the needs of the people buying it.
You’ve hit the nail on the head.

Apple needs to offer either reasonably priced upgrades or allow users to upgrade ram and storage themselves. Anything else is greed and doesn’t leave a good taste in the mouth.

Yes, I could go with another manufacturer but Apple won’t let them run macOS because they are anti-competitive gatekeepers.

Yes, I could run Windows / Linux but I like macOS.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
You’ve hit the nail on the head.

Apple needs to offer either reasonably priced upgrades or allow users to upgrade ram and storage themselves. Anything else is greed and doesn’t leave a good taste in the mouth.

Yes, I could go with another manufacturer but Apple won’t let them run macOS because they are anti-competitive gatekeepers.

Yes, I could run Windows / Linux but I like macOS.
For example,

A 2TB WD BLACK SN850X NVMe from framework costs the same as what apple charges for 256GB of storage and is at least twice the speed in sequential write. Especially given apple crippling the performance of the base unit machines.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Not only is Apple still releasing computers with too little RAM and drive capacity which has been more or less the same for over a decade, they're also overcharging for RAM and SSD upgrades that should be standard in 2023, but on top of that the speed of the entry level model has half the SSD speeds of the previous generation. How can we not be offended? Apple tries to appear as a premium brand but their entry level models have half the RAM and SSD capacity of other brands in the same price range and unlike their competitors, the RAM and SSD in Macs cannot be upgraded, so you can't even buy the entry level model and upgrade it later.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Can anyone provide numbers for Apple's gross profit (as opposed to net profit) on these upgrades?

On the M3, Apple charges $1,200 to upgrade from 36 GB to 128 GB LPDDR5-6400 RAM (=> $13/GB), and $2,400 to upgrade to from 0.5 TB to 8 TB storage (=> $0.32/GB).

By comparison, approximately what would be the OEM prices for those, in the quantities Apple orders?

[I suppose to answer that reasonably accurately for the storage, you'd need an idea of what proportion of Apple's NAND is SLC vs MLC vs TLC vs QLC; or barring that, you could estimate what the OEM price/GB would be for a top-end PCIEe 4.0 NVMe SSD (e.g., Samsung 990 Pro). The retail price for the 4 TB 990 Pro is currently $320 on AZ => $0.08/GB]

I do understand why Apple has not reduced what they what they charge for SSD and RAM upgrades. They do charge a lot, and it's well above the industry average, but there's no deceptive or predatory business practices here. Thus it's perfectly reasonable for them not to change until they decide doing so will increase, or help maintain, profitability. Since they've not done that yet, their analysis must have indicated it won't, at least not currently.

If the M-series chips' performance could be significantly increased by using HBM RAM, I'd rather see them switch to that rather than reduce RAM upgrade costs.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Can anyone provide numbers for Apple's gross profit (as opposed to net profit) on these upgrades?

On the M3, Apple charges $1,200 to upgrade from 36 GB to 128 GB LPDDR5-6400 RAM (=> $13/GB), and $2,400 to upgrade to from 0.5 TB to 8 TB storage (=> $0.32/GB).

By comparison, approximately what would be the OEM prices for those, in the quantities Apple orders?

[I suppose to answer that reasonably accurately for the storage, you'd need an idea of what proportion of Apple's NAND is SLC vs MLC vs TLC vs QLC; or barring that, you could estimate what the OEM price/GB would be for a top-end PCIEe 4.0 NVMe SSD (e.g., Samsung 990 Pro). The retail price for the 4 TB 990 Pro is currently $320 on AZ => $0.08/GB]

I do understand why Apple has not reduced what they what they charge for SSD and RAM upgrades. They do charge a lot, and it's well above the industry average, but there's no deceptive or predatory business practices here. Thus it's perfectly reasonable for them not to change until they decide doing so will increase, or help maintain, profitability. Since they've not done that yet, their analysis must have indicated it won't, at least not currently.

If the M-series chips' performance could be significantly increased by using HBM RAM, I'd rather see them switch to that rather than reduce RAM upgrade costs.
Curious what would be, in your opinion, "predatory" or "deceptive" business practices.... In theory these words should not make sense, since it's the client that ultimate decides whether to buy or not, right?
I guess that for every company it's "perfectly reasonable" to milk their client as much as they can get away with, isn't it? They are not forcing anyone to buy. Assuming for instance that a 8GB RAM upgrade cost them $20 (probably less, but let's assume) and they charge $200, while buying a 8GB RAM module is $30 (current prices) and a Windows laptop OEM charges let's say $50 for the same upgrade. In the end it's up to the consumer to decide....
What could be "deceptive" might be if they "inflated" the base price, so that those much "above average" upgrades were actually even larger when the base price goes regularly on sale while the upgrade does not, becoming a $300-400 or even larger "upgrade" to get those additional 8GB.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Curious what would be, in your opinion, "predatory" or "deceptive" business practices.... In theory these words should not make sense, since it's the client that ultimate decides whether to buy or not, right?
Nope, these words make perfect sense, such that I'm surprised you're challenging me on them. I would define deceptive as any practice in which the business lies to, or attempts to deliberately mislead, the consumer. Here are examples. All of these are illegal in the US:

Selling counterfeit goods as real.
Selling refurbished goods as new.
Rolling back odometers.
Claiming a product is made with titanium when it's instead made with brass.
Telling a customer they need new brake pads when they don't.
Telling a customer a charge is require by law when it's not.
Fake sales.
Bait & switch.

The fact that a sufficiently sharp customer can see through all of these doesn't change the fact that they are deceptive practices.

Does Apple sometimes engage in deceptive pratices? Yes. But Apple is very clear on what its upgrade prices are for RAM and storage, so those charges are not deceptive.

I would define predatory as practices that a business engages in to overcharge the consumer once they are effectively locked into their product. For instance, it's hard for the poor to obtain bank accounts, so once they have them banks know it can be hard to switch banks. Thus, according to this article from Business Insider, "Mainstream financial institutions have created a host of fees and penalties over the past few decades designed specifically to target and profit from their poorest customers."

As Apple's upgrade fees they are a not a surprise charge you incur after purchasing the product, they are not predatory.

I think the more legitimate complaint is not about what they charge, but rather about the fact that they don't give you a choice, by preventing you from upgrading the storage on your own. Unlike with the RAM, which needs to be soldered, there's no technical reason their NAND can't be slotted and replaceable with aftermarket parts.

But at least if you don't like the upgrade fees, you do have another possible choice: You can instead buy a used Mac (I'd recommend finding something in pristine condition that still has AppleCare), thus saving yourself money and denying Apple the new sale.

Apple is best seen as a quasi-luxury product. Complaining about Apple's upgrade pricing is like saying "I really like the look and feel of a Mercedes, but I think they charge too much for the options I want, so they should reduce their profit margins so I can afford one".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Nope, these words make perfect sense, such that I'm surprised you're challenging me on them. I would define deceptive as any practice in which the business lies to, or attempts to deliberately mislead, the consumer. Here are examples. All of these are illegal in the US:

Selling counterfeit goods as real.
Selling refurbished goods as new.
Rolling back odometers.
Claiming a product is made with titanium when it's instead made with brass.
Telling a customer they need new brake pads when they don't.
Telling a customer a charge is require by law when it's not.
Fake sales.
Bait & switch.

The fact that a sufficiently sharp customer can see through all of these doesn't change the fact that they are deceptive practices.

Does Apple sometimes engage in deceptive pratices? Yes. But Apple is very clear on what its upgrade prices are for RAM and storage, so those charges are not deceptive.

I would define predatory as practices that a business engages in to overcharge the consumer once they are effectively locked into their product. For instance, it's hard for the poor to obtain bank accounts, so once they have them banks know it can be hard to switch banks. Thus, according to this article from Business Insider, "Mainstream financial institutions have created a host of fees and penalties over the past few decades designed specifically to target and profit from their poorest customers."

As Apple's upgrade fees they are a not a surprise charge you incur after purchasing the product, they are not predatory.

I think the more legitimate complaint is not about what they charge, but rather about the fact that they don't give you a choice, by preventing you from upgrading the storage on your own. Unlike with the RAM, which needs to be soldered, there's no technical reason their NAND can't be slotted and replaceable with aftermarket parts.

But at least if you don't like the upgrade fees, you do have another possible choice: You can instead buy a used Mac (I'd recommend finding something in pristine condition that still has AppleCare), thus saving yourself money and denying Apple the new sale.

Apple is best seen as a quasi-luxury product. Complaining about Apple's upgrade pricing is like saying "I really like the look and feel of a Mercedes, but I think they charge too much for the options I want, so they should reduce their profit margins so I can afford one".
Apple does nothing illegal as far as I know (despite some people writing article for instance about illegal and abusive cuts of 30% of app store revenue for instance, something I disagree with, they price things as they see fit).
What I find boderline deceptive is their BTO model, but I don't want to open this can of worms again. People are free to find it perfectily fine and justify it in 1000 ways.
Personnally I have never complained about prices. Apple can price things as they want, and that's what I meant in my post. I don't like some of their practices as I said, but they are legal, so it's fine. And they have any right to maximixe profit.
What I don't like is Apple's fanboys, the cult of Apple etc. People that blindly adore the company, with no critical judgement ever (and you are definitely not one of them by the way, just to be clear, I appreciate your insights in this forum) but again we have freedom of cult, so they are free to love Apple and I am free to not like them.
I like some of Apple's products a lot, but I always try to give them as little money as possible by buying used or on deep sales. Just as I am not afraid to say some of their products have terrible value for money (some don't).
Fortunately enough I have little interest in iPhone so I am also not really tempted to enter their ecosystem, despite liking iPads and to some extent Macs.

Reactions: theorist9

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Apple does nothing illegal as far as I know (despite some people writing article for instance about illegal and abusive cuts of 30% of app store revenue for instance, something I disagree with, they price things as they see fit).
Digital distribution cut a lot of costs related to physical distribution. As such the 30% margin is fair considering it improved efficiencies.
What I find borderline deceptive is their BTO model, but I don't want to open this can of worms again. People are free to find it perfectly fine and justify it in 1000 ways.
Personally I have never complained about prices. Apple can price things as they want, and that's what I meant in my post. I don't like some of their practices as I said, but they are legal, so it's fine. And they have any right to maximize profit.
What I don't like is Apple's fanboys, the cult of Apple etc. People that blindly adore the company, with no critical judgement ever (and you are definitely not one of them by the way, just to be clear, I appreciate your insights in this forum) but again we have freedom of cult, so they are free to love Apple and I am free to not like them.
I like some of Apple's products a lot, but I always try to give them as little money as possible by buying used or on deep sales. Just as I am not afraid to say some of their products have terrible value for money (some don't).
Fortunately enough I have little interest in iPhone so I am also not really tempted to enter their ecosystem, despite liking iPad and to some extent Macs.
I think Apple's having difficulty increasing shipments of Macs in a significantly way as they ceased disclosing units sold regionally/quarterly/annually 10 years ago.

So instead they decided to increase their margins.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
[...] since it's the client that ultimate decides whether to buy or not, right?
I'd say that the client should have more freedom to choose, before the client can truly decide.
Apple could offer models with expandable RAM & storage and let the client choose.

At least Tim Cooke does not talk about "sugared water" or "hp makes its profits from ink", when Apple makes it's profits from cables and bulk RAM & ssd.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'd say that the clinet should have more freedom to choose, before the client can truly decide.
Apple could offer models with expandable RAM & storage and let the client choose.

At least Tim Cooke does not talk about "sugared water" or "hp makes its profits from ink", when Apple makes it's profits from cables and bulk RAM & ssd.
Contrary to many Apple lawyers here, I'd be all in for Apple (and anyone else) being legally obligated to use upgradable RAM and storage by the UE or any other government (I couldn't care less about those who say it would slow down innovation, and by the way it wouldn't)
But let's be realistic, that's good for the consumer, not for Apple's bottom line, so it's defintely not going to come from Apple unless it has no choice

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Contrary to many Apple lawyers here, I'd be all in for Apple (and anyone else) being legally obligated to use upgradable RAM and storage by the UE or any other government (I couldn't care less about those who say it would slow down innovation, and by the way it wouldn't)
But let's be realistic, that's good for the consumer, not for Apple's bottom line, so it's defintely not going to come from Apple unless it has no choice
Unfortunately, upgradeable RAM wouldn't be good for Apple's laptops, because it would mean they couldn't use low-powered LPDDR RAM, since such RAM needs to be soldered. [It's technically possible to have slotted LPDDR, but probably not a good idea, which is why everyone that sells devices with LPDDR solders it.]

OTOH, there's no reason they couldn't have upgradeable storage in all their devices, especially their desktops. But specifying that it has to be upgradeable would do the consumer no good unless Apple were also legally obligated to make the NAND chips non-proprietary. For instance, the storage in the Mac Pro is upgradeable, but you need to buy special chips from Apple, and they cost more than upgrading it at the time of sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flowstates
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.