Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
i have heard some definate info that apple will use the PPC 970 processor

although Intel or AMD chips would be a better option in my opinion

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by bluecell
WTF? Has everyone totally missed the point? IT'S ONLY ONE PROCESSOR. If Apple goes 64-bit (which I believe they will), they'll have to make every processor 64-bit. Not just on the high-end. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

No reason there couldn't be a 64-bit 970 in the Power Macs and 32-bit G3s/G4s in everything else. High-end software that could take advantage of 64-bit could be recompiled for 64-bit and distributed along with the 32-bit version in an .app. That aside, it's also very likely there will be a lower-clocked 970 in the iMac and PowerBook sooner than you'd think.
Besides, IBM and Motorola have a terrible track record of maintaining the development of PowerPC. It's crippling Apple. I care about processor speed because of my work. But consumers, particularly those who are into gaming, care about speed as well and not all of them will buy high-end systems (ask Peter Cohen from Macworld). It's really sad when Apple has to make all of their desktops dual processor to compensate for the lack speed. Crippled DDR RAM makes it even worse. There's no good reason why (full) DDR isn't in all of Apple's notebooks and desktops.

After your first sentence, you go off track and talk about the now. The 970 is not the now, it's the future. Unlike the case with the G3, IBM has very strong incentive to ratchet the performance of this new chip up as fast as it can - not only because they've invested in it as the new high-performance PowerPC platform, but because they themselves will be selling computers running Linux that IBM wants to kill Sun with. IBM wouldn't have even bothered spending all this money on designing a new chip if they knew they were going to just let it stagnate and fail in the marketplace. To sum up: The PPC 970 is going places and all indications point to its development being very much unlike the G3's.
I've always been for a switch to AMD. An AMD PPC would be great. Hector Ruiz, AMD's CEO, was the president of Motorola's semiconductor unit before going to AMD and he took some of his former employees with him. Now, x86-64 looks pretty good from what I've seen. It sort of re-writes the laws of the 32-bit x86 version. AMD is driven by development and innovation.

Whatever AMD is driven by, they're having a hard time competing with Intel as it is, bleeding money even with an architecturally superior product. I don't know what makes you think they would do any better against Intel if Apple used their chips. An AMD PPC would be a notion straight out of fantasy land, as everybody knows Apple does nowhere near enough volume to be able to convince AMD to sacrifice their already stressed manufacturing resources to make chips solely for them. Yeah I'd like a 200GHz AMD Alpha in my Mac too, but let's be realistic.
IBM, on the other hand, has their own agenda and that's to push Linux. Apple doesn't benefit from either IBM or Motorola.

But you have to understand that by pushing Linux, IBM is also helping Apple. Faster 970 Linux workstations ---> faster Macs. Faster 970 Linux workstations & Macs ---> greater sales of the 970 ---> still faster 970s ---> faster Linux workstations and Macs. Sounds like a win-win-win (for IBM, Apple, and Linux) to me. Certainly if you base your opinions only on what IBM has done with the PPC in the past, they don't look too appealing. But you've got to train your eye on what looks set to happen in the near future.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If you don't like Apple, you don't have to buy a Mac, simple as that. Get a PC if you don't like what Apple is doing. I happen to enjoy my Macs and for whatever disadvantages they hold to the PC I think they have a lot of strengths.

bluecell

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
cleveland:oh
Computer_Phreak:

Where did you get your "definite" info?
-
alex_ant & Abercrombieboy:

Both of you contiunue to miss the point. You're still not thinking realistically. I do like what Apple's doing in terms of software, but they have some serious issues when it comes to hardware. I am looking at the future and one processor that will most likely be poorly maintained isn't enough to keep Apple alive. Sorry, but that's the sad reality. You're not going to be happy until Apple loses more ground and slips away into extinction. All because you have a problem with anything that's not IBM or Motorola.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I've always been for a switch to AMD. An AMD PPC would be great. Hector Ruiz, AMD's CEO, was the president of Motorola's semiconductor unit before going to AMD and he took some of his former employees with him. Now, x86-64 looks pretty good from what I've seen. It sort of re-writes the laws of the 32-bit x86 version. AMD is driven by development and innovation. IBM, on the other hand, has their own agenda and that's to push Linux. Apple doesn't benefit from either IBM or Motorola.
There is a reason for Motorola employees at AMD.

In the technology department for future chip technology development there is IBM on the top of the heap.

Then there is the team formed by AMD and Motorola - they're working TOGETHER right now.

How does choosing AMD over both IBM and Motorola lead to long-term chip development benefits.

Sure in the short term they may be able to do more than Motorola, but will it last?

If Motorola does not renew the tech sharing arrangement with AMD - will AMD be able to struggle along on their own over several product cycles?

R&D for chip development is a huge expense, what will AMD do if they part with Motorola, buy technologies from IBM or Intel?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Both of you contiunue to miss the point. You're still not thinking realistically. I do like what Apple's doing in terms of software, but they have some serious issues when it comes to hardware. I am looking at the future and one processor that will most likely be poorly maintained isn't enough to keep Apple alive.

You must have missed what I said about all indications pointing to the likelihood that this processor will be very well-maintained. To recap that, I doubt IBM would have spent however many millions on this thing if they knew they were going to just let it sit at 1.8GHz unchanged forever. They've got big plans for this chip and a new, state-of-the-art fab in which they'll be manufacturing it. In one sentence, this chip will have a life very unlike that of the G3 - in a good way. How am I not thinking realistically? The 970 is real, it's happening, and it will be inside the Power Macs in less than 13 months. Yes that's a long time to wait, but it's not like Apple has any other options. You don't seriously think Steve Jobs could phone up AMD and have them rolling out 9 nanometer G5s by next Thursday, do you?
Sorry, but that's the sad reality. You're not going to be happy until Apple loses more ground and slips away into extinction. All because you have a problem with anything that's not IBM or Motorola.
Apple will lose ground until late next year when the 970 debuts. That's an unfortunate fact. IBM is reality, and the only thing I have a problem with is being unrealistic. An AMD/Apple relationship is unrealistic.

bluecell

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
cleveland:oh
Man, Agreenster is right. Some Apple enthusiasts are blind. The 970 is not going to be Apple's knight in shining armor. You do realize that 13 months is more than 4 quarters away, right? I guess we'll see what happens at Macworld SF.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Man, Agreenster is right. Some Apple enthusiasts are blind. The 970 is not going to be Apple's knight in shining armor. You do realize that 13 months is more than 4 quarters away, right? I guess we'll see what happens at Macworld SF.
1) What makes you think I'm an Apple enthusiast? 2) 13 months is a maximum. If we're lucky, the 970 could be 7 months away. Most likely it will arrive some time between those figures. Even if it for some reason took two more years, though, AMD still couldn't have a PPC out in anywhere near that time. Let alone be able to manufacture it in volume profitably. In which case the only alternative for Apple would be x86-64. Which still will only arrive a few months before the 970 at best. So yes, we all wish the 970 would appear in a Power Mac tomorrow, but it won't. And neither will anything else.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually...

WTF? Has everyone totally missed the point? IT'S ONLY ONE PROCESSOR. If Apple goes 64-bit (which I believe they will), they'll have to make every processor 64-bit. Not just on the high-end. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. Besides, IBM and Motorola have a terrible track record of maintaining the development of PowerPC. It's crippling Apple. I care about processor speed because of my work. But consumers, particularly those who are into gaming, care about speed as well and not all of them will buy high-end systems (ask Peter Cohen from Macworld). It's really sad when Apple has to make all of their desktops dual processor to compensate for the lack speed. Crippled DDR RAM makes it even worse. There's no good reason why (full) DDR isn't in all of Apple's notebooks and desktops.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of Mac users when I say I have zero faith in IBM and Motorola. Where's IBM been since the G3? The roadmap of the PPC might as well be static. I've always been for a switch to AMD. An AMD PPC would be great. Hector Ruiz, AMD's CEO, was the president of Motorola's semiconductor unit before going to AMD and he took some of his former employees with him. Now, x86-64 looks pretty good from what I've seen. It sort of re-writes the laws of the 32-bit x86 version. AMD is driven by development and innovation. IBM, on the other hand, has their own agenda and that's to push Linux. Apple doesn't benefit from either IBM or Motorola.

Look, I respect all of you. I'm the most hardcore Mac user I know. It's just really frustrating to see Apple suffering because of IBM and Motorola. That's all.

...although you had some good points there, you were wrong on a few important ones.
1) It's not one proc, it's "the first of a line of processors" (according to IBM)
2) IBM pushing Linux is a GOOD thing for Apple. Moto doesn't push the G4+ because they use it for things that don't require massive performance. IBM's Linux boxes have similar requirements to Apple's.
3) The POWER4+ is the fastest chip in the world, and it's PowerPC.
4) The G3 hasn't been stagnating, it does exactly what it's supposed to. Be a super low power, tiny, efficient chip. It's actually more advanced than the G4+ is now.
5) There's a very good reason why Apple doesn't have a DDR frontside bus. The G4+ doesn't support it.
6) Going 64 bit on the high end and remaining 32 bit on the low end for a while makes perfect sense. It's a good way to differentiate the PowerMac/TiBook/XServe and iBook/eMac/iMac.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Ummm...

Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
i have heard some definate info that apple will use the PPC 970 processor

although Intel or AMD chips would be a better option in my opinion
...why? (Sorry about the double post).

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Isn't it a little early to write off the Power PC 970? It hasn't even been produced in a machine yet that is being offered to the public. I think if and when this processor comes out, lets see how it works before we write it off as an inferior product.

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Re: I agree with BlueCell

Originally posted by agreenster
Im also a fan of Apple computer, but it amazes me how blind some Apple enthusiasts are.

For example, everyone dogs the mHz of current Intel processors. But the question is, have any of you actually used these machines??? They're FAST. Sure, I understand that the speed of these chips are coming to a plateau, but their plataeu is still faster than the top of the line G4!!!

You are arguing that the "up and coming' PPC 970 is going to kill the current Intel chips----well of course it will! Any chip that is 'in the future' is going to destroy whats out today. You cant even compare the two! Besides, its counter-productive. The real fact is: right NOW, the fastest and cheapest processor you can buy does not come from Motorola or IBM, but Intel.

Whats to come in the future? Who knows. Hopefully Apple and (insert processor manufacturer here) can tema up and supply a nice fast chip in a branded Apple box. But, in the meantime, you have to face facts that Macs are slower, even at the interface level. I get so sick and tired of waiting for windows to pop open and my damn 'system preferences' to take 4 seconds to open.

One more thing--speed DOES matter. A lot of Apple user today say 'speed doesnt really metter anymore.' Hogwash! The faster and more efficient the processor, the more you can do with your computer. The sky's the limit as to what your computer can do with a fast engine. People dont just read email and surf the web anymore. People are using their computers to do their digital photos and make home movies. I use iPhoto, and its too slow for me a lot of the time. I have to wait a lot, and scaling the images is jerky.

Anyway, my point is, dont judge the Intel chip so harshly. Their chips ARE faster, and it gives you no right to say that they are crap. Sure, the x86 is reaching the end of its life, but so is the G4. If you compare the life of the G4 to the life of the P4 or Xeon, I can tell you which has been better and faster in the overall run. Here's a hint, it aint the G4.

i have avery fast pos pc.
yes , it is fast , it is unreliable,it freezes from time to time and it does things no one can explain.
in a recent study they discovered that a pc user looses 2 to 3 hours a week rebooting, when compare to a mac user doing the same tasks
For once i understand pc users:

1-yes , they have more fun , they only need to buy a white crystal ball and they can become psychic, because no one really knows what the pc is up to.

2-they are ahead of us, same reason , they are psychic.

3-they can qualify themselves as techs and work as techs in the future, because you have to become one in order to maintain the pc running.
we the mac users, on the other hand,
will not learn anything , because our computers run fine all of the time.There is not a tech career in owning a mac, hehehhe.

4-your brain works really hard when you are trying to print on a pc, again, she does whatever she feels like doing.

5- pcs have a mind of their own, macs are only machines that do what you tell them
6- if using messenger, with a mac you can only sign in once per session and you will get bored after expending 2 or 3 hours talking to your friends while they have the "pleasure" of connecting at least 3 to 4 times in the same session, the only reason is for you not to get asleep in front of your computer.
and
7- the pcs do all of this so you can feel that you are needed and that you are doing something worthy in your lifetime, listen to me, "YOU ARE FIXING SOMETHING" so you are alive for a reason, macs are only here to please you and do their work.

a mac will spoil you,a pc will give you plenty of reasons for been alive and lots of career options, like joining a circus or something like that.

I AM TRULY SPOILED AND I JUST WANT TO DO MY WORK WITHOUT KNOWING ANYTHING AT ALL!!
LONG LIVE THE MAC!!!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
a pc user looses 2 to 3 hours a week rebooting

I have rebooted 4 times (which takes 20 seconds :D) on my p4
2.4 GHz, which is blazing fast, running windows XP. And I only
rebooted because of installing things. I have never had to reboot
because of errors.

That study was a bad study, or it was comparing Mac OS 10.2 to
Windows 95 or something, because I know for a fact that no
windows users spend 2 -3 hours a week rebooting. That is complete
crap.

I am very happy with my PC. I would rather have a $3,000 mac
(which wouldn't be as fast as this computer which I got for $750),
because I know that speed isn't everything. But I wasn't going to
spend $700 on a peace of crap macintosh, when I could get new
technology for $700 with a PC.

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Originally posted by scem0

because of errors.

crap.

I am very happy with my PC. I would rather have a $3,000 mac
(which wouldn't be as fast as this computer which I got for $750),
because I know that speed isn't everything. But I wasn't going to
spend $700 on a peace of crap macintosh, when I could get new
technology for $700 with a PC.

rebooter:D
it was against xp and maybe you don't really push your pc.
mine has xp pro( the pos pc) , pos she is.
The other 2 are macs and the next one will be a mac.
rebooter

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Re: Re: LOOK HARDER... :)

Thank-you, Sir. I'll look at it when I get home.

Well thanks :D

Somebody actualy called me Sir, without adding *Your making a scene*

-Homer Simpson :D ;) :rolleyes:

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Besides, IBM and Motorola have a terrible track record of maintaining the development of PowerPC.

Motorola?, yeah, they went after the low power embedded market when Apple stumbled in the late '90s

IBM OTOH, have been pushing the envelope with PowerPC chips, problem is they cost too much to put into a desktop machine.. (and would be impossible to cool in anything resembling a sensible manner.)

the PowerPC 970 is a pared down variant of that big iron PowerPC hardware (the POWER4 basically), and it's looking from here that IBM are getting serious about the processor market again.

the alternative is for Apple to do something which would utterly kill them, which is going to X86-64 or IA-64.

We can only hope IBM can keep the heat on (or off, so to speak), if anyone has the resources to go toe to toe with Intel on fabrication, they do.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I'm on a dual 867, and I must say that Jaguar 10.2.2 is not sluggish -AT ALL-. Back when I had my dual 450 and 10.2.1, it was an absolute dog though, terrible. My system prefs pop up in about 1.5 seconds on first launch, and I can even run Flurry (the screensaver) as my desktop pattern and still have things be responsive enough. I think the reason it is so responsive now is due to Quartz Extreme. My 450 had an ATi Rage 128, which did not support it, but my current GeForce4 does. So if you think OS X is sluggish, try running Jaguar with a Quartz Extreme supported card. The interface never, ever seems sluggish.

But just for the record, dual athies still slay a dual G4 system.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
If you don't like Apple, you don't have to buy a Mac, simple as that. Get a PC if you don't like what Apple is doing. I happen to enjoy my Macs and for whatever disadvantages they hold to the PC I think they have a lot of strengths.

I think you miss the point of nearly every post on these forums.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I personally don't know what's Apple's best choice. IA64 is shaky in general for a number of reasons, mostly because it won't be backwards-compatible with older software... unless I'm mistaken. x86-64 looks good, but AMD isn't exactly the world's most solid company, but they're not the shakiest either. The 970 looks okay, but ... well ... yeah, I guess 970 would be the way to go, heh. The x86-64 sounds like so much more fun though! hehe. It would need some kinda RISC --> SISC dealie for handling old software though... at least ... I think? I donno. I'm dumb, heh.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by scem0

because of errors.

crap.
So what exactly do you do with your PC? Web surfing and playing games isn't too likely to crash much any OS nowadays. When using XP Pro workstations they crash a lot more then my Mac when doing CAD work, graphics design and working with large files.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by springscansing
I personally don't know what's Apple's best choice. IA64 is shaky in general for a number of reasons, mostly because it won't be backwards-compatible with older software... unless I'm mistaken. x86-64 looks good,

x86-64 looks like a terrible processor platform for Apple to switch to for the exact same reason IA-64 is.... a complete and TOTAL lack of backwards compatability with the PowerPC architecture, NO current PPC software would run... sure, OSX could be recompiled.... apps for OSX could be recompiled...

But those aren't all the apps that get used, and a lot of OSX stuff might not get recompiled.

PowerPC 970 OTOH, is a nice big performance boost that _won't_ be 100% incompatible with the processors it's superceeding...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
WHOA! I just noticed something. If Apple, and I say if, started to use Intel or AMD proccessors and chips little will differ between the Mac and a PC. The main diffs would be styel, the OS and Apple's goodness... I have just relized this... :( Just wanted to tell you all.... I hope Apple makes the right choice

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: LOOK HARDER... :)

Originally posted by LimeiBook86

Well thanks :D

Somebody actualy called me Sir, without adding *Your making a scene*

-Homer Simpson :D ;) :rolleyes:

Just to be a picky little bastard, I believe the quote was "I wish, just once, somebody would call me 'Sir' without saying 'You're making a scene'".

But to avoid spammage I'll contribute to this thread.

For bluecell who said that IBM is too unreliable to work with. Do you know why IBM never gave Apple the Sahara? Because Apple didn't ask for it. Why would IBM continue to develop the processor beyond 1 Ghz (or wherever they're at) if Apple didn't ask for 1 Ghz yet? Do you consider it IBM's job to make processors they aren't going to be selling to Apple? Think about it.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I hope they don't adopt it. IBM and Motorola are totally unreliable. It's not that exciting. It's only one processor that will most likely go through the same development as the G3.

IBM is the larget research institution in the world. They've had the G3 at 2GHz for quite some time. Apple just won't use it because it would be a PR disaster for them. IBM is fine. Moto is a disgrace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.