Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Agreenster,

First off to clear the record, you started the name calling. You called me a cry-baby first. Anyhow, I think that anyone should be able to put their opinion down and not get hassled for it. If you don't like my opinion about Apple that is fine, but you don't know anything about me as a person. I would give my shirt for anyone, probably even you, even though you think I am a puke. Look, I get upset at people when they start slamming me and they don't even know me.

Whatever you do with a computer is completely different then what I do. All I want is an easy to use computer that helps me manage my life. I use a digital camera, like MP3's, surf the net, and do a lot of email. My opinion is going to be different then yours, but I am still an Apple customer. In my OPINION, the new Macs are great for how I use them. As I have said before, if the Apple has such poor performance for your type of work you might have to look at a PC. You even admit XP is good, so I don't understand the problem.

The Macs will continue to improve and as time goes on the performance gap will narrow. With a 1.25 Dual, Apple is already at the point where most computer users will never use all the muscle. For people like yourself, I am sure there are new things in the works. I am suprised that people actually think Apple has no ideas beyond the G4.

I am just waiting for a 1Ghz iMac and then I will be happy, but for others it is probably not enough. I would be very surprised if the PPC 970 is not at the top of the market when it is introduced. Apple has done it before when they introduced the first G3 and the first G4. At the time they were smoking PC's. I think they will do it again. Then give them some time to see how the processor scales over time.

Like I said before, it is too early to write off this machine since it has not yet been introduced. I have never owned a G4 machine, because of timing and the $$$ involved. I find my computers to work well for how I use them. If they don't work for you, then you have two options either wait until Apple introduces a decent computer or buy a PC right now.

Look I am sorry if I came off bad, but I was upset. I was wrong to go after you, but I just had to defend myself. That's all. Peace.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I have some input about the usefulness and implementation of 64 bit processing. Apple was one of the first companies (the first?) to put multiple processors in a desktop machine. The concenus then was that it is not an advantage to the average user, and only a few applications use it. This is not unlike the current state of 64 bit processing. Only Photoshop and the like will take advantage of it. The same goes for altivec. Even the OS is dual processor aware and altivec optimized. I think Apple can and will make 64 bit computing not only a reality, but successful and will increase performance of applications that use it. They will innovate their way out of their performance slump.

Also, if the 970 does come out, I think they should keep it in dual processor for all the pro lines, unless it is highly cost prohibitive. If they can keep the prices the same as now (or lower) I will be in line to buy a dual 1.4 or whatever. So many things are multiprocessor aware it would be a waste IMO. Also, it would be nice if they could put a Quad processor on the top end, or in the xserve.

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by WannabeSQ

. . . Also, it would be nice if they could put a Quad processor on the top end, or in the xserve.

I think you are right on with your whole posting. It's just my opinion, but I believe the IBM 970 was designed with dual and quad configurations in mind. They are likely stressing economy as well as performance with this processor. The quad should be a good workstation class Mac. Single 970s may find there way into consumer Macs sooner than most would expect.

About 64 bits, I have been thinking the same thing. Once it is there, people will likely figure out ways to use it to advantage.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
OMG

Jeez what's with you guy's why can't you post w/ out pissing each other off it's not really that hard. I hope that we (mac users) will continue to use PPC, but there is always a possiblity of having an x86 processor. I have no problems go from my powerBook to my computer at school that has MS 98. I perfer OSX but windows is bearable. I truly believe that out mac OSX is easier to used though experiance, I taught a sudanese immagreint(sp?) how to use my mac and he pick it it up quite easily w/ no prior computer experiance. Er i went off topic but frankly i think both You(ambercromnieboy) and agreenster should put aside you differences, why can't we all just get along? I hope that you don't leave ambercrombieboy just cause someone was posting his opinion on how he wants an x89 mac.

ps
Sorry about any spelling errors and grammer mistakes i am quite tired

POwerBook G4 1ghz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.