Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
they're not going to care about a petition. They know what the demand is, and what it isn't. They've obviously made a calculated decision not to seriously pursue this market, at least right now.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
they're not going to care about a petition. They know what the demand is, and what it isn't. They've obviously made a calculated decision not to seriously pursue this market, at least right now.

but lets show them there is demand

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm all for jumping up and striking Apple with a "take notice" stick, but this isn't going to work. Ever.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
c'mon at least sign. it might never work but u never know until u try!!!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
but lets show them there is demand

They know there is demand. They probably know much better than we do exactly the extent of that demand. And based on that knowledge, they've decided not to go after the gaming market. A petition isn't going to convince them when their marketing research tells them that going after the gaming market isn't in their best interest.

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I'm sorry to say it, but it's not going to happen. Even back when we got our first and last Mac in... 94?... we bought it over a PC because we were told that Macs (with ClarisWorks!) was a better choice for a computer that would be used for work. It ended up becoming a gaming computer, though, Sim Ant was the best game ever! Signed for your sake.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
here it is:
http://www.gopetition.com/online/14522.html

thought it would be good to start here

i hope to send it to apple when i receive enough signatures. please sign :)
Your right yet Apple doesnt care about Mac gaming. its Mac history, they are like our Congress who pretends to listen then. Apple needs to pull its head out of its a.. on cable tv and gaming. They have billions in the bank yet look the other way on both. Jobs needs to go to DisneyLand and stay.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Your right yet Apple doesnt care about Mac gaming. its Mac history, they are like our Congress who pretends to listen then. Apple needs to pull its head out of its a.. on cable tv and gaming. They have billions in the bank yet look the other way on both. Jobs needs to go to DisneyLand and stay.

I've been on MR for about 4 years, and the amazing thing is, I can usually guess 70-80% of your post's content before actually reading it...

<edit>

Slightly on-topic, if Jobs had never come back, there probably wouldn't be an apple today. So while yes, it would be great to have good native gaming, I'd rather have a mac with lousy gaming than no mac at all.

As for the online petition, they really don't do anything, but I'll sign just for the heck of it. It only takes a few seconds anyway.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'll sign it but let's really look at this realistically

iMacs would either end up back to being as big as the CRT version of Mac to acoomodate JUST the graphics portion of the computer

There ARE video game developers out there Apyr for one that does a GREAT job getting games to the Mac, so which leads the question "is it really Apple's job?"

Who defines "serious about gaming"? If your wanting a Mac to perform the same as a PC in regards to gaming it won't happen. Mac's do just fine in the graphics department and always have and always will. Art Institute of Atlanta's computer room (last time I was there) was nothing BUT Macs.

You want OSX installed on other machines? Buy a PC.

Agghhh forget it. My reponse would be too long winded I'm going to wash my hair before I sign.

Hope I can remember to sign...

what was it I was supposed to do?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
iMacs would either end up back to being as big as the CRT version of Mac to acoomodate JUST the graphics portion of the computer

Well...no. Not sure why you'd say that; I don't think anyone is expecting quad SLI setups in iMacs or anything.

There ARE video game developers out there Apyr for one that does a GREAT job getting games to the Mac, so which leads the question "is it really Apple's job?"

Yes, since it's up to Apple to provide the technology that developers actually use. Nobody is saying that it's Apple's job to make the games.

If your wanting a Mac to perform the same as a PC in regards to gaming it won't happen.

Because Apple is lagging behind in the driver department. ;) It could happen if they spent a little time on the problem. Hence, it's Apple's job.

--Eric

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Well...no. Not sure why you'd say that; I don't think anyone is expecting quad SLI setups in iMacs or anything.

Hence the question "who defines serious about gaming"

Yes, since it's up to Apple to provide the technology that developers actually use. Nobody is saying that it's Apple's job to make the games.

The technology is there for them to use. SDK's, xCode, etc, they have it, THEY don't have skilled programers to write the code.

Because Apple is lagging behind in the driver department. ;) It could happen if they spent a little time on the problem. Hence, it's Apple's job.

NVidiea and ATI drivers are written BY those respective companies in CONJUNCTION with Apple developers. It's BOTH parties problem. You want to put the sole blame and responsibility on Apple then be my guest. It's ALL parties involved.

If you petition one, you need to petition them ALL. EA is getting back on board, Aspyr has been doing it for a while, there are several companies on board. Your few attempts at contradicting me aren't working. It's everyones job to get games to the Mac. Not just Apple. The tools are out there, most game companies don't want to or for lack of experience can't code for Mac simply because they've been used to coding for Windows.

It's like telling an VB programmer to he has to now write C++. It takes time to learn how to do. I write code for several platforms and it's taken me 10yrs to get to this way. Apple has it's part to do yes. I'm not saying they don't but you can't put the sole blame ON Apple. The video game programmers and companies on a whole need to get THEIR act together and start learning how to program and invest some money (the REAL factor in video game development) up front to get their developers to learn how to write games effectively for the OSX system.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
The technology is there for them to use. SDK's, xCode, etc, they have it, THEY don't have skilled programers to write the code.

They can't do anything about the core stuff, like OpenGL (which could be faster and more up-to-date), OpenAL (which remains buggy to this day), and the much-complained about HID manager (which is a step back from GameSprockets, one of the few good things about OS 9).

NVidiea and ATI drivers are written BY those respective companies in CONJUNCTION with Apple developers.

nVidia doesn't write any drivers for OS X (they basically give Apple the specs and say "have fun!"), but yes, ATI does. That doesn't help anything with OpenGL itself, however, which is solely Apple's responsibility.

Your few attempts at contradicting me aren't working. It's everyones job to get games to the Mac. Not just Apple. The tools are out there, most game companies don't want to or for lack of experience can't code for Mac simply because they've been used to coding for Windows.

Yeah, no kidding that other companies also have to put in some effort. You were making it sound like Apple has done its part, and it's up to everyone else, which is clearly not true.

--Eric

chrisz

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Mac: A good games machine?

20 years ago I had an Amiga 500. When I told PC users about it, they usually said "It is a good games machine", like a superior CPU, input device and graphics card was a bad thing. Apple is already fighting market irrelevance (eg "can you run excel on it?"), do you really want them to make macs more appealing to 15 yr olds?

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
A couple thousand people want the MP to be updated. Apple doesn't care.. I doubt they care about an online petition. NEvertheless, I'll sign.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Apple is already fighting market irrelevance (eg "can you run excel on it?"), do you really want them to make macs more appealing to 15 yr olds?

This isn't 20 years ago; games are way beyond 15-year-olds now. If Apple wants to fight market irrelevance, then they should make Macs more gaming-capable.

--Eric

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
20 years ago I had an Amiga 500. When I told PC users about it, they usually said "It is a good games machine", like a superior CPU, input device and graphics card was a bad thing. Apple is already fighting market irrelevance (eg "can you run excel on it?"), do you really want them to make macs more appealing to 15 yr olds?

Uh, yes. The 15 year old will one day be 30 and any company wants lifelong returning customers. If the 15 year old has a good experience on macs (and not just gaming) he will continue to purchase macs and when he has a family he will more likely purchase them for his kids. Not everyone is a graphic designer or professional photographer, you have to find a way of growing market share and going after the kids is one option. I mean do you really think the iPod is targeted at 40 something graphic designers?:)

The gaming market has also grown its not just kids anymore. Some of the kids from 20 years ago are now playing video games with their kids instead of tossing a ball.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Hardware be damned, Apple's weakness in the gaming arena has nothing to do with hardware. Power PC or Intel it makes no difference. Apple has consistently chosen not to provide game developers or GPU makers with adequate support to optimize games under OSX. Apple also constantly chooses to equip laptops and all in one machines with substandard or just adequate GPUs that in almost all cases are not upgradeable or at least not practically.

I used to here a lot of blame on PowerPC for Apple's weakness in gaming but after two years since the switch to X86 and not much improvement it's obvious that it's all software. OSX and it's implementation of Open GL as well as Apple's lack of support to Game developers is the sole reason for gaming weakness. Crappy GPU drivers under OSX are to blame as well but hey that's Apple's fault too.

Maybe if were lucky things will substantially improve with Leopard but don't hold your breath.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
here it is:
http://www.gopetition.com/online/14522.html

thought it would be good to start here

i hope to send it to apple when i receive enough signatures. please sign :)

I wouldn't mind signing it, but you could make the petition a little friendlier. I think your hardware requests are a bit much. I mean this is like asking for the moon:
Making a highly expandable computer, a motherboard, or allowing Mac OS X
runnable on hardware other than Macs.
This sounds like you want them to have a hardware division devoted to games, to be like an Alienware or FalconNorthwest. I don't think Mac market share is there to do that. I think more modest proposals, like more GPU updates and better drivers is more in line.

They could use gaming to create demand for their products. It also seems shortsighted to have macs as part of a digital hub that includes entertainment such as music and movies, but not games. So I don't think they've really looked at it. I don't think its a calculated decision, I think its an oversight or lack of resources. Look if they had to move engineers from Leopard development over to the iPhone which delayed Leopard's release-what does it say about resources or ability to multi-task?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.